Private sector asked to cancel Songkran events if virus status no better by end of March

rooster59

Private sector asked to cancel Songkran events if virus status no better by end of March

Songkran-Day.jpg

Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports will seek cooperation from the private sector to cancel their Songkran celebrations if the rate of COVID-19 infections does not subside by the end of March.

Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn said today that the ministry has already scrapped all the Songkran activities in most provinces, due to concerns over the coronavirus threat.

The minister said that the tourism business would be even harder hit if the contagion does not slow down by June, with loss of revenues estimated at about 300 billion baht.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/private-sector-asked-to-cancel-songkran-events-if-virus-status-no-better-by-end-of-march/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-03-14
  • Like 1

Thais are also asked to wear helmets, stop burning rubbish and fields, not drink on religioys days, etc etc. Only when hell freezes over, will they stop throwing buckets of iced water at each other and not getting totally wasted.

Must admit, though, that Songkran here in the south is a lot calmer and more fun.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

They wanna tell 7/11 who have just put out hundreds of water guns that now cannot be used !

Private sector have been asked to stop any functions, however the "public" sector have a mind of their own about things!

16 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

Be like talking to a brick wall The Thais have no intention of stopping the practice of throwing water over everyone  But the main aim is be be wasted for a week and see how many can be killed on the roads

This is a third world country with a third world mentality.

• Like 1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/government-advised-to-stop-all-crowd-activities-and-events/

• March 15, 2020

Thailand’s well known virologist, Dr. Yong Poovorawan, has proposed that the Government stop all social events and activities that attract crowds, and to provide easier public access to COVID-19 tests, in order to prevent a wider spread outbreak.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, Partenavia said:

Anyone who even thinks this is going to be over by end of March is deluded

I saw this coming in January and packed up and left. Trouble is, I seem to have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire as now I'm in the UK ????
This virus will be a focal point for most if not all of 2020 

Edited by Mung

Just now, Mung said:

I saw this coming in January and packed up and left. Trouble is, I seem to have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire as now I'm in the UK ????
This virus will be a focal point for most if not all of 2020 

Difficult to say if "jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire" yet. I am also in the US and I wish I was in Thailand, I have a house there, and many projects on the drawing board.

I really miss Thailand. 

But Thailand is not my country, I have few rights there. Immigration might become a problem, Return to the US can be another problem, 

But how about treatment if we got sick there? No insurance will cover the virus, and what if the already fragile Thai Health system is inundated by the virus?  Who would get limited resources? Thais or "dirty" Farangs with no insurance? 

Not happy I am in the US, but glad.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Difficult to say if "jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire" yet. I am also in the US and I wish I was in Thailand, I have a house there, and many projects on the drawing board.

I really miss Thailand. 

But Thailand is not my country, I have few rights there. Immigration might become a problem, Return to the US can be another problem, 

But how about treatment if we got sick there? No insurance will cover the virus, and what if the already fragile Thai Health system is inundated by the virus?  Who would get limited resources? Thais or "dirty" Farangs with no insurance? 

Not happy I am in the US, but glad.  

Indeed, all of these reasons are why I decided to move. Also that it's hard to tell how the Thai population will react when everything is locked down, will crime be rampant? Desperate people wanting money and food, it's hard to tell. Here in the UK at least I have free medical care and a professional system in place, but I do not agree with how they are handling it here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mung said:

Indeed, all of these reasons are why I decided to move. Also that it's hard to tell how the Thai population will react when everything is locked down, will crime be rampant? Desperate people wanting money and food, it's hard to tell. Here in the UK at least I have free medical care and a professional system in place, but I do not agree with how they are handling it here. 

If you don't agree how they are handling it in the UK, you should be in the US. 

Our idiot president is making a mess of everything. Last week he was saying not to worry ,

Never mind all the other things I will not get into right now. 

This week he declares a national emergency.

Here in Florida , near my house we had Bike Week and all those who were told "not to worry" came from all over the country. 

image.jpeg.50b2c66d27924d4bbde4e690de613277.jpeg

we already had two bikers from up north quarantined.  What do you think will happen in 14 days? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If you don't agree how they are handling it in the UK, you should be in the US. 

Our idiot president is making a mess of everything. Last week he was saying not to worry ,

Never mind all the other things I will not get into right now. 

This week he declares a national emergency.

Here in Florida , near my house we had Bike Week and all those who were told "not to worry" came from all over the country. 

image.jpeg.50b2c66d27924d4bbde4e690de613277.jpeg

we already had two bikers from up north quarantined.  What do you think will happen in 14 days? 

We have yet to chancel social event gatherings, any schools, and flights are still welcome from all over. We also had the Cheltenham Horse racing festival, that had 250,000 people mingling around together. I think the US and the UK are both approaching this horribly so. Thailand is as well, but they have a hotter climate that is saving their behind up until now. 

Also on the matter of Trump, I've just read according to news articles, that he tried to poach scientists from Germany working on the vaccine, so he could make it exclusive for US citizens lol. Don't shoot the messenger, it's what I've just read 

• Haha 1

The rest of the worlds shutting down, but Thailand’s up for a party... and a good party is what’s needed to raise everybody's spirits... wu who! 

And an unexpected bonus for hotels and resorts as they gear up to offer pre songkran isolation packages.... another win win for Thailand, who already has the cure in the redoubtable GPO antiviral meds.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, RichardColeman said:

They wanna tell 7/11 who have just put out hundreds of water guns that now cannot be used !

Fill the flit gins with Disinfectant, double bubble, after handling locals wash your hands , if surgical gloves unavailable 4 condoms will help get you noticed and perhaps a falangtickler for the thumb as worn by trensetters in soi 5