Thailand reports 32 new coronavirus cases, brings total to 114

webfact

12 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

It buggers sensiblilty to make people pay for the test when we are going into a pandemic.  Yet the government here expects people living hand to mouth to cough up 1000 baht. Morons ????

Ladies...got a fever, dry cough, breathing difficulties?

Do a quick short time and you could have what it takes

to get your COVID test done with no problems.

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Maybe it seems to be strange,  but in my province ( Prachinburi and I know some others ), virus doesn't seem to be here; very, very few people have  a mask ( maybe less than 10 % ), and life is absolutely normal 

Yes about 3 weeks ago life was normal in all of Europe. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Timwin said:

Thailand reported very early the first cases but did not see any mushrooming of cases. That is because the coronaviruses in general are highly temperature sensitive. The best temperature zone for spreading is 6-12 Celsius and it is a steep looking curve. With 30 C the virus dies quite quickly in most surfaces, couple of hours instead of days.

ICUs would have been overflowing two weeks before Italy easily if the spreading were as effective as in Italy.

This does not mean you should not be cautious and wash your hands especially when coming from errands and not touching your face when outside. Also do not eat with your bare fingers. You can also buy very small hand spray disinfectant pocket sprays, costs like 150 Baht per 5-6 bottles in sites like Lazada.

Scientists are still not sure if the virus is disabled by the mix of heat and huminity.
If we look to Brazil (hot and humid) the number of people infected with the Wuhan virus is just taking off. At the moment there are 151 confirmed cumulated cases (151 active, 0 deaths, 0 recovered). I'm sure that we'll see a 4 digit number not later than by the end of the week.
India also seems about to enter the phase of exponential growth. They are at 102 confirmed cumulated cases (96 active, 2 deaths, 4 recovered).

I think that population density. the intensity of social contacts and hygiene standards are much more important for the spreading of that virus than heat / humity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

I think they might have realized it is too hard to hide anymore, when sick people are starting to post of social media.

Because no one is scared of the government anymore, they are more concerned with the true spread of the virus.  Can not wait to see how they can possibly spin this other than community spread....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Thailand reported very early the first cases but did not see any mushrooming of cases. That is because the coronaviruses in general are highly temperature sensitive. The best temperature zone for spreading is 6-12 Celsius and it is a steep looking curve. With 30 C the virus dies quite quickly in most surfaces, couple of hours instead of days.

Prove it please. In addition, a virus can never die because it does not have the basic condition for dying, namely to be a living organism. Your claim is as stupid as to say that a stone can die.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Not that strange, cases are either imported from abroad by a few “dirty foreigners” or many Thais returning from overseas trips, or they have had contact with one of those groups. Either way, the vast majority of cases will be in Bangkok, that is where most flights from abroad arrive, and where they will be detected at the airport.

How many people from Issaan make overseas trips compared to people from BKK ?

Eventually there will be cases in the provinces when somebody in Bangkok infects a waitress or taxi driver before they realize they are contagious and then that waitress heads home to Issaan, possibly infecting more people on the bus, and her family, before she starts showing symptoms too.

sounds a lot like what will happen in a month or so for Songkran

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Do you have evidence for that claim? There have been two major coronavirus outbreaks in the last two decades: SARS and MERS.

I'm not sure about the temperature-related statistics for SARS but MERS is most prevalent in Saudi Arabia where it  doesn't seem to have have any problem with temperatures well above 40°C and sometimes touching 50°C. In fact most years since it started, there has been an increase in cases in the spring and summer.

So I'm not sure we can say that coronaviruses in general are susceptible to high temperatures.

I provided the link in other post. It can survive as infectious pathogen in hot temperatures but the optimum is lower, 6-12 C temperatures. Both SARS and MERS were btw pretty much direct close contact based spreading viruses, where the outside temperature does not affect at all. In other words they could not spread nowhere near as effective as this one via indirect ways.

Edited by Timwin
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

In the news, just read it.

I do read the news from quite a few sources incl Thai and none shows the information quoted. If you actually saw it published somewhere then you could have made a positive contribution by posting a link, or otherwise remaining quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

In other news the air in Chiang Mai is well over 400

They closed the schools in BKK when it was 170

170 is considered a good day with fresh air in CM.

• Haha 1