Stuck in Thailand but cannot exend visa

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The major borders to Laos are still open (Vientiane, Savannakhet).

For now these border crossings are open - and there are restrictions coming in. For instance, if you were staying in a province with more than so many Covid cases, you will have to isolate for a week or two.

20 hours ago, sanemax said:
20 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Think can still go to Vietnam ok.

I do not think so. Vietnam have stopped all from EU to come in to the country. I read in a Swedish newspaper the other day about two Swedish backpackers that was stopped from going in to the country, even showing that they had been around in East Asia seens the beginning of December did not help. They did not let them in.

Edited by Parsve
Misspelling

I was just renewing my visa in Hua Hin and asked them what happens in these circumstances and they told me that if you cannot get home because of flights or presumably quarantine you have to go to your embassy and can get a letter from them that you can take to immigration to get an extension for 30 days

I would suggest though that you check with your embassy first as immigration centres often seem to have different ways of interpreting rules and regulations and of course some of that information may of been lost in translation to me

Good luck and I hope that helps

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

Both Australia and New Zealand have urged their country's nationals to return home, citing the fact that commercial flights are being cancelled. For those who don't act quickly, goodness knows what is coming...

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/full-list-of-flights-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus-for-qantas-jetstar-virgin-and-tiger/news-story/e3709ed6d3e4fd0aa42117fe6edf51c4

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why is your flight to France cancelled? Has France closed its borders?

E.U. is not closing borders for E.U. citizens this includes also France , closing  only for non E.U. people and even exceptions exists 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tagged said:

Good on him to be detained and wait for a flight home. No one wants that. 

If you have insurance or can pay for it!

We really do not know that yet!

Insurance wont do you much good if there are no medical facilities available to you. If, and it is an if, Thailand follows on with a major viral outbreak the medical system will be overwhelmed, no matter how good it is. 

That has been a major factor in our decision to leave for the time being.

Edited by emptypockets

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

we do know it.

for a fact.

simply go to hospital and see if it is full with thousands of sick people.

it is really scary to see how the world can be shut down in a mattar of days

by a bunch of idiots

Until a few days ago I thought the same way as you - it was over hyped. But after seeing what is happening in first world countries my opinion has changed.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Insurance wont do you much good if there are no medical facilities available to you.

What you talking about? Insurance will be the difference between serious ill, and even worse death. If you have insurance, you will have choices of many different top quality hospitals, and without? They will not even touch you without cash in hand. 

Your call

Some info for people in Thailand, or anywhere else, who want to get back to their home country.

This comes from a travel expert on ITV this morning. This applies to all nationalities.

If you  want to regain your home country, leave at once if you can. If your flight has been cancelled, take any other flight you can find. Travel agencies or insurances will not help you at the moment, you sort that out once you are home. There are hundreds of thousands of holiday makers/ business people abroad who are stuck. 

Unfortunately , you have to pay for the flights you find yourself, or get family/ friends to help you. There will be no rescue flights.Many countries have banned flights in or out,´or both.  Most flights will be business class seats , so expensive.First come, first served basis. If you can’t find a flight from where you are, try neighboring airports/ countries.

I think this advice is the best , as the situation will only get worse before it gets better, everywhere. It could cost you a lot of money and heartache if you were blocked in a foreign country with no financial help. Apparently, Embassies and airlines are not responding to calls as they are overwhelmed. Good luck.please circulate to other forums if possible as I’m not sure how to do it myself. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, Tagged said:

You have to contact your embassy, and Im sure they will keep flights open to bring people home.

You're kidding. The gov't can't tell an airline it has to fly an empty plane (with all that cost) to Thailand to pick up stranded tourists. Maybe, if there were no alternatives, the gov't might charter a flight, like the US did for its citizens in Wuhan. But right now, Taiwan is still off the corona virus radar, and flights to Taipei from Bkk, with connections to North America, and Europe, are still being advertised. With such escape routes, don't look for your gov't to provide you a charter flight (at least not at this juncture).

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Until a few days ago I thought the same way as you - it was over hyped. But after seeing what is happening in first world countries my opinion has changed.

If I had the choice between France, and Thailand, on the balance I'd choose Thailand right now. On the basis it *might* not get out of hand in hot climates as rapidly, where we know it's already out of hand in France. All countries where it gets out of hand are going to experience hospital shortages, so I'd be more interested in how receptive the population is to quarantine protocols. I wouldn't want to be in the US right now, I'd sooner fly to South Korea.

First case in Thailand was 8-Jan, with many more sporadic cases confirming it has been circulating - but we know it hasn't been out of control, else you would see evidence of that in the hospitals, and from tourists on this forum. Contrast that to Italy, completely out of control. Rapidly exported it to the rest of Europe. 

It will still cause a lot of grief even at a reduced rate of spread, so I don't mean to downplay it. There are enough signs from Malaysia/Indonesia/Philippines that it's going to be a problem in hot climates, just hopefully not on the same scale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimGant said:

You're kidding. The gov't can't tell an airline it has to fly an empty plane (with all that cost) to Thailand to pick up stranded tourists. Maybe, if there were no alternatives, the gov't might charter a flight, like the US did for its citizens in Wuhan. But right now, Taiwan is still off the corona virus radar, and flights to Taipei from Bkk, with connections to North America, and Europe, are still being advertised. With such escape routes, don't look for your gov't to provide you a charter flight (at least not at this juncture).

You register and get information from your embassy. They can as well can support you with needed documentation to get visa without leaving Thailand, as I read some immigration could accept an embassy letter. In worst case our/my government have organized home transport before. 

My post suggested the airlines would keep on flying still for awhile, and still do flying almost empty right now as we speak. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Audun Lorentzen said:

Lao has closed the border today..

I was afraid it would happen.

Just saw the headlines (no more visa on arrival).

I am not up-to-date about today's situation.

19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was afraid it would happen.

Just saw the headlines (no more visa on arrival).

I am not up-to-date about today's situation.

Most of are not up to date since it's so fluid. Last Monday I was Saigon airport on returning to Thailand. Spoke to couple of guys working Singapore. All flights were cancelled. I'm due back to Saigon soon. I have a multi for Vietnam that's not the issue. You could fly out and have Thai PM announce a change. Even if it was only self isolation for 14 days as now some countries have. Think NZ was first. The Oz followed with very short warning. I was talking with young oz guys last sat who thought they were flying back to Aus yesterday. They still can but now 14 days in sin bin. 

My guess is Thailand will close borders VERY soon for say 14 days. 

I plan to only travel within Thai.

BTW just arrived Koh Samed. Absolute ghost town. Beaches deserted. Good time to travel in Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54

21 hours ago, JimGant said:

watched on the US news this morning where the USA did help arrange charter flights home to the USA from Asia.  But many people were stranded in Morocco and Honduras and Guatemala.   So order of precedence, numbers stranded, etc...  N

• Like 1