Stick or twist - to stay or not to stay?

Long story short - I am on one of the islands. Been coming here every year for ten years.

don't know whether to head home to the UK on March 25th when my flight is booked for, or stay here for another one or two months whilst the UK goes deathly quiet.

I know there are no tourists here right now, that the borders might be closed, etc, but it feels a hell of a lot safer than Europe. 

I am banking on the hot climate being a natural deterrent, I guess, and the situation in BKK not being INCREDIBLY worse than reported.

I've got nothing to head home to other than self-isolation on a farm in Neath and <deleted> weather. What do you all think?

• Like 1

Where would be better to be stuck in relative quiet for a month or two?

Consider climate, health, food, comfort, money including sources & access, places to walk to, exercise both mental & physical ...

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

Visa status? 

Only issue. Would need to do a visa run, rely on Thailand closing and getting relief from sanctions when leaving, or budgeting in paying the fine in two/three/four months time.

Budget, and cost of staying? 

got the funds for a good while, and have an apartment on Koh Tao £200 a month.

Got any work back home on that farm?   Plants that need watering? 

nah.

Odds of getting snagged by one of the local cuties who can suck you dry (and not just in a good way)?

Don't fancy Thai girls.

Whatever you decide to do, keep your visa status up to date. 

I could do via visa runs, though was thinking of just, worse case scenario, paying the fine when I do leave.

•  

42 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

I've got nothing to head home to other than self-isolation on a farm in Neath and <deleted> weather. What do you all think?

Given the "choice" not going to be a hard decision, unless there are other issues. You will be able to enjoy the cool refreshing weather in April as a bonus ???? 

@Drew3223 If you stay have you given much thought to visa extension. I imagine the visa extension places will be very busy now with people having similar ideas as you . I’ve heard the one in jomtien is an all day wait on a normal day . 

Also have you heard about the new reporting system through MOPH / AOT SYDEKICK . If so , please enlighten me to how it works. I’ve been looking for two days and have no idea !!! Apparantly , fine and jail if don’t do it.  

3 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

I could do via visa runs, though was thinking of just, worse case scenario, paying the fine when I do leave.

I would re-think that one, in years gone bye was quite acceptable, the last place you want to end up at this time is in a Thai jail, paying an agent would be more sensible!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

Visa status? 

Only issue. Would need to do a visa run, rely on Thailand closing and getting relief from sanctions when leaving, or budgeting in paying the fine in two/three/four months time.

Visa run may and may not be possible at that time, depending on whether they close the borders and/or require travelers to be quarantined for 14 days.  You can pay the fine, but make sure you won't be getting blacklisted, or that the overstay stamp in your passport doesn't cause you future problems.  The rules are different than most past overstays before 2014.  Even before 2017 or 2018 when an overstay could result in a blacklisting.  Of course, that's moot if you're not planning on coming back to Thailand...  

Edited by impulse

Heading back home Monday.  I hope immigration/borders stay under control until I board my flight.  Things may end up being bright and rosy to hunker down and ride it out here, but odds are less risky (for me) back home.   Risky as in too many Thai style variables with no definitive rules of engagement here, during this global "challenge" .  Visa/extensions?  CV health coverage?  Lock-downs?  Maneuverability?  Potential social/civil unrest?  I booked a visa appointment for Tuesday in Vientiane to renew my 90 day, but I'm dumping it.   Too many unforeseen/potential "hurdles".   Some peace of mind to check in on my folks and sons, make sure they're all prepped, sorted and have some support. 

Arrive, do 14 days of isolation drinking the odd pint, clean out the cobwebs, rake the lawn, fire up the hot tub.  Not sure how I'll stock the fridge and cupboards yet (depending on isolation requirements), but I'll figure it out.  The wife is organized here, house is in a secure compound, busy schedule at work (healthcare), bills are paid.  Kids school is paid and there's more food and supplies in the house than there is in the local 7-11.   She's organized prepped and family support is close by.  

It is a constantly changing very fluid situation in Britain now with the country basically on a war footing .. flying back in may not now be easy .. If you've a changeover flight like Qatar or Dubai they have restrictions on foreigners entering though its unclear if that includes change over passengers who don't leave the terminal before the onward flight .. 

Assuming you can transit in the middle East or if you've a direct there may be quarantine waiting as some folk who have got back in recent weeks have been quarantined for 14 days though some of those who returned from Italy last week weren't .. The other thing to know is that the Neath in Wales has a cluster of CV cases so if you do make it back you will find the place a ghost town as the public are taking Gov' advice and staying indoors .. But as it is an ever changing situation who knows even if there will be UK bound flights out of Thailand next week .. if you really wanna get back before this moves to the next stage I'd try and either rearrange you're existing ticket if poss or book another flight with whoever might still be flying planes to Britain as soon as because a week is a long time in this situation .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 2

From Koh Tao, the logistics of any kind of visa run or immigration office run are such a pain that without at least an METV I think you are taking a stupid chance in Thailand.  Really the only place you can go to once things start locking down is your country of citizenship, and there might be some constraints on that.  

As others have stated, you MUST keep your visa status current.  The last thing you want is to be rounded up and deported.

Also, I know logistics are much better on Koh Tao than in the old days, but the island needs a lot of supplies from the mainland every day to be able to continue catering to tourists, workers, and the residents.  If tourist numbers drop then you might see some impact on supply resiliency.

• Like 1

Go back. 100% sure!!! I've lived in Thailand through 3 coups including the one in 1992 when I was in Banglamphoo and the situation can really escalate quickly. At least in those times, it was only a small part of Thailand where the 'action' was and only Thailand was affected. This time, we are all going to be left to fend for ourselves one way or the other....Things could turn very ugly here soon and in a situation like that, foreigners will be the least of everyone's worries at best, and might understandably be the focus of some protestors' anger in the worst case. If you live in a rural area in your home country, that sounds like the best place to be if you can choose where to be in the coming months. Really? Hundreds of thousands of people about to die and you might be one and your decisions are swayed on the weather! Get your priorities right and just focus on survival for the next few months. If you do decide to stay here, can I house sit your place in the UK for the next 3 months?

• Like 1

Stay in Thailand probably less risk of catching it but if you do then more risk as imv Thai hospitals are just not competent. I have a lot of experience from many issues and costs. I went back to uk early. If I do get it no way do I want to rely on Thailand or pay what could be a sizeable hospital bill. I am relieved to be in UK even though currently it is worse here if the spike in pneumonia cases in Thailand hasn't been a cover up

We, the Thai mrs and I, booked our flights to Australia today. If and when it does hit the fan, we want to be able to access first world health care with a pretty much guaranteed treatment. Both of us are not sure that will be available in Thailand as the health system may become completely overwhelmed. We'll give it a few months or a year and decide when to come back.

The other consideration is being able to actually LEAVE Thailand at some future time. A lot of airlines are slashing flights drastically, but I wouldn't be surprised to see airfares increase astronomically as a result.

The warning today from the Oz government spooked me a bit and I was a little laid back before with regards to the virus so for us it is twist.

Well I'm actually weighing up everything. Worst case in Thailand will be a big outbreak, cannot leave and have to fend for myself. But I have a cheap apartment, a supermarket two minutes walk away, and it's Koh Tao, which is quiet because of zero tourists, and still seems safe to me right now. I was here when SARS hit, btw, and travelled throughIndonesia and Hong Kong.

Visa/overstay are least of my worries.

UK is currently part of the epicentre. I'm not worried about travelling back so much, but I figure if I have to hunker down somewhere, might as well be my apartment in Thailand, as anywhere else.

WHO are pleading with South East Asia to get on top of things, as of today, and countries are telling citizens to get their asses home.

Stick or twist?

8 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

Well I'm actually weighing up everything. Worst case in Thailand will be a big outbreak, cannot leave and have to fend for myself. But I have a cheap apartment, a supermarket two minutes walk away, and it's Koh Tao, which is quiet because of zero tourists, and still seems safe to me right now. I was here when SARS hit, btw, and travelled throughIndonesia and Hong Kong.

Visa/overstay are least of my worries.

UK is currently part of the epicentre. I'm not worried about travelling back so much, but I figure if I have to hunker down somewhere, might as well be my apartment in Thailand, as anywhere else.

WHO are pleading with South East Asia to get on top of things, as of today, and countries are telling citizens to get their asses home.

Stick or twist?

Very much a personal decision. I've made mine as you can see in the above post. If I had to travel to the UK my decision would probably be to stay in Thailand as the sh!t is getting real over there, and by all reports will be getting much worse. Australia's not too bad at present so I'll take my chances there. We live out in the bush, on a small farm like you do, and not in a city so hopefully we will be ok.

I guess we are both in the fortunate position of being able to have a choice to make. There will be many forum members who will not have any choices to be made and will have to ride out the storm here in Thailand.

Edit:

Just reread your post. You are on Koh Tao. That would be a big influence on any decision I made.

Edited by emptypockets

If you get COVID-19 and need to be in an ICU, I shudder to think how much it might cost.

There is a thread elsewhere where an infected Thai man got changed 100k just for a normal bed. So x4 for foreigner x4 again for ICU. Better have 2 million.

7 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

How so?

My view is that the first places things will turn ugly for farangs will be the smaller tourist places when they run out of money as the tourist Baht dries up, and it will for the short to medium term. On an island you have a captive audience. There may be problems down the track with certain people playing the blame game and looking for scapegoats. Of course it may never happen but would be one thing I would factor in to my decision to stick or twist.

We aren't planning on leaving Thailand forever, even though the wife would happily stay in Australia, its just the best thing to do for us at the moment.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

My view is that the first places things will turn ugly for farangs will be the smaller tourist places when they run out of money. On an island you have a captive audience. There may be problems down the track with certain people playing the blame game and looking for scapegoats. Of course it may never happen but would be one thing I would factor in to my decision to stick or twist.

We aren't planning on leaving Thailand forever, even though the wife would happily stay in Australia, its just the best thing to do for us at the moment.

Do you mind if I ask if this  is informed by personal experience? UI only ask so I can make the best decision. been coming here for many years, quite a big expat population, and the tourist numbers have been drying up for years, not just now.