Foreigners can claim medical expenses from state for virus treatment in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thais and foreigners, including expatriates, who are covered by the state welfare scheme, can claim medical expenses for the amount that exceeds the limit of the welfare scheme. The Ministry of Public Health will work out the details of who, among non-Thais, are eligible to claim medical expenses and how much.

not much of an artical without this  piece of information

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spinner2020 said:

Misleading headline, non-story. Implication that any old farang can claim, but in fact - and quite reasonably - only the small number who qualify for the Thai state system.

Pretty sure I miss out even though I paid national insurance for 15 years ... left my job and swapped to a marriage visa and did'nt realise you could opt to continue to pay national insurance ... oh well you live and learn

• Thanks 2

Someone on another post told me to stop spreading misleading information, i.e. that private health cover covers the Covid-19, misleading I said, to which I asked, send me the link that you read this from, no reply, what are we paying private health cover for if it doesn't cover the Covid-19.

I believe he might be talking about travel insurance, but hasn't replied because he knows he's WRONG !

Edited by 4MyEgo

21 minutes ago, sapson said:

.......and allow the private hospital profiteering and extreme price gouging for the test in these emergency times?

also allowing banks/brokers to sell pretty useless covid insurance policies should'nt be allowed either ... if you really need hospital treatment, pretty sure these 100k policies will get you a test and 3 or 4 days in ICU

EDIT : not that there'll be any beds left

Edited by CraigInBangkok

36 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So what exactly is the State Welfare Scheme? Expat workers and Expats married to Thai State officials who can only qualify?

The Thai Social Security? Once you've paid in for more than a year you can continue paying in privately.

One of the best offers for foreigners. 

Social security card sample.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulbrow said:

Actually I believe there are quite a few of us!

You missed the point in my quote. That was the word "visitors". Usually a name used for tourists. To be in the welfare scheme, you have to work or have been working in Thailand. If you still work here, you shall be considered as a person living in the country. If you stopped work and are an expat, then you are probably still living in the country. 

2 hours ago, sapson said:

Claiming the money back you have as much chance as getting a refund at a soapy massage because it didnt end happily.......

soapy  massage  would be good  as the soap  kills  the virus, they should  make it  compulsory!!

• Haha 2

Khaosod EN had a somewhat different take on this exact topic the other day, and it was a beaut of Thai style contradiction:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2020/03/18/govt-oks-free-covid-19-treatment-for-foreigners-but-the-money-never-arrived/

BANGKOK — Foreigners suspected of having the coronavirus or diagnosed with it are supposed to be eligible for free treatment. But no one knows what happened to the funds.

An internal document obtained by Khaosod English shows a comprehensive free medical treatment for foreigners in cases related to the virus was approved by the Comptroller General’s Department as late as seven days ago, yet inquiries to the health ministry on Wednesday revealed the agency has yet to receive the money.

• Haha 1

According to this article yesterday, the government have already signed off on free treatment for all farangs with testing and treatment for covid 19 with or without insurance etc.............. 

But the money has yet to appear!!

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2020/03/18/govt-oks-free-covid-19-treatment-for-foreigners-but-the-money-never-arrived/

So much is lost in translation in this country.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign visitors, who are treated for COVID-19 in Thailand, and those who are placed under investigation pending COVID-19 test results, will have the right to claim back the medical expenses they actually paid from the state, according to Mr. Poomisak Aranyakasemsook, director-general of the Comptroller Department

How man foreign visitors qualify for Thai state health care I wonder??

3 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

yeah but only if you know about that and don't take a break for more than 6 months

It's easy to talk to your bank to send 438 baht/month to them. Or let somebody pay for you, no problem.

Unfortunately, too many people didn't know that they could have continued after their job was done. 

It covers all medical expenses and I'm more than happy to have such a card. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's easy to talk to your bank to send 438 baht/month to them. Or let somebody pay for you, no problem.

Unfortunately, too many people didn't know that they could have continued after their job was done. 

It covers all medical expenses and I'm more than happy to have such a card. 

I was so happy to give up my job that I did'nt even think about it until a few weeks ago. Of course far too late by that time. I should be starting a "partnership" soon with the wife, so hopefully once I have a work permit I can start paying into it again. Should be alright through this corona BS (hopefully not famous last words)

Edited by CraigInBangkok

This is for show only not to help people.

I have no access to the welfare system even after paying taxes in Thailand for 5 years since I was a director of a company.

Its a con, trickery, manipulation, whatever you want to call it - its a lie.

4 hours ago, spinner2020 said:

Misleading headline, non-story. Implication that any old farang can claim, but in fact - and quite reasonably - only the small number who qualify for the Thai state system.

And yesterday there was another misleading headline that ALL foreigners needed this and that to enter the country. Maybe they've sent all their responsible writers into quarantine. For what wants to be taken as a serious and responsible site, with a group of people ready and able to punish those they consider break their rules, it might be a good idea if they put their own house in order and at least write accurate, responsible headlines instead of a phrase I'd be banned by our unseen masters for using. Or maybe they just employ people with poor writing skills. If they want responsible postings from their members, it would be nice if they did the same for us. It isn't a one-way street. Or shouldn't be.