New Travel Restrictions?

I am stuck in US due to a missing passport until Saturday when I was supposed to fly to BKK. Today I read this. https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/19/prayut-orders-all-travelers-to-present-virus-certificate/

There is so much conflicting info that I don't know what to believe. Do any of you know if the above article is correct? If so it will be impossible for me to enter because Covid tests are hard to come by and they certainly aren't giving them to anyone not showing symptoms. Thanks.

The Thai Embassy in Japan has posted this notice as well as the requirement that each person (Thai or Foreign) who wishes to enter Thailand must have evidence of US$100,000 health insurance coverage.

Like many proclamations of the Thai government, I suppose it's possible they will then rescind this, but as of now it seems to be law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A medical certificate is only for countries on the list, 

“Everyone who travels from the countries with ongoing local transmission or the countries with infection cases reported by the World Health Organization must present their health certificates,” Suwannachai said.

• Like 1

I am in the USA which is one of the countries with ongoing local transmission. The interesting thing is that they want a health certificate stating that " The passenger poses no risk of being infected by the Covid 19 virus". This is impossible to state and no one here will write such a letter.

3 minutes ago, Gtto said:

I am in the USA which is one of the countries with ongoing local transmission. The interesting thing is that they want a health certificate stating that " The passenger poses no risk of being infected by the Covid 19 virus". This is impossible to state and no one here will write such a letter.

Yes, this is almost impossible as you know. Moreover, the effective date will be the 21st of March, so if you can get to Thailand quickly you can avoid this. 

There is so many different news articles from various sources I think the best thing to do is wait for the IATA site to show what is required to board a flight to Thailand. Check: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

I just checked and the new requirements are not there yet.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Yes, this is almost impossible as you know. Moreover, the effective date will be the 21st of March, so if you can get to Thailand quickly you can avoid this. 

I cant get a passport until the 20th so that is not likely.

Edited by Gtto

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is so many different news articles from various sources I think the best thing to do is wait for the IATA site to show what is required to board a flight to Thailand. Check: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

I just checked and the new requirements are not there yet.

Ubon Joe, Interestingly enough IATA site has no mention of the "Ongoing local Transmission Zones" of which the USA is one. Looks like I will be stuck here for a while. It is virtually impossible to get a test for Covid19 in the USA. They are tremendously behind in their ability to test people even those that really need it.

Edited by Gtto

Just now, Gtto said:

Ubon Joe, Interestingly enough IATA site has no mention of the "Ongoing local Transmission Zones" of which the USA is one. Looks like I will be stuck here for a while. It is virtually impossible to get a test for Covid19 in the USA. They are tremendously behind in their ability to test people even though that really need it.

I know the US is trying to roll out a huge mobile testing ability in all states, similar to what S. Korea has done. This is going to be key to getting a handle on this in democratic countries, where you can't practically impose martial law on people, unlike China.

I think we all have to face that we are mostly all stuck in place in whatever country we are in now (and probably for months), and hopefully everyone's visa, financial and other arrangements are in place. I lot of US citizens are stuck overseas now and can't get back in the US, either because of exits being blocked or US not accepting flights.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gtto said:

Ubon Joe, Interestingly enough IATA site has no mention of the "Ongoing local Transmission Zones" of which the USA is one. Looks like I will be stuck here for a while. It is virtually impossible to get a test for Covid19 in the USA. They are tremendously behind in their ability to test people even those that really need it.

The have not updated it yet and I suspect the reason for that is Thailand has not informed them about the new requirements.

• Like 1

We'll with that Unobtainium Medical Cert and The travel  insurance policy for 60 days, going from approx 18000 baht 4 months ago to 22000 this time and specifically not covering covid 19. So no trip this time for Dad! CANCELLED. Only had a couple of days before it would turn into most costs lost. (UK-BKK). (The UK F.C.O travel advice for Thailand, would void the travel insurance anyway

Edited by UKresonant