Water Purifier for House

GuyFawkes

Just been to Home Pro looking at buying a water purifier (drinking) but came away totally confused as there are so many to choose from.  Only two of us in the house but sales staff eager to push for the expensive range.

So please looking for advice as to what might suit our needs.

Water comes from the ground well in garden and passes through a system that removes lime scale via loads of resin,

Thank you

If you need to test for pathogens, you need to take a sample to a lab. But, if it doesn't smell or look bad, you're probably OK. You could also take a sample in a glass, cover it, and leave for a few days. If something starts growing, you need to boil before drinking. The water testers sold are mostly useless for important stuff. 

• Thanks 2

The silly thing is homepro doesn't always sell all the replacement filters for them nor the UV lights. The Pure brand has branches throughout Thailand. If you do get one I would recommend one with UV.  It will cost around 3,000 baht to replace the filters. 

• Like 1

In Australia we used to have a ceramic one that sat on the bench and would pass throufh some kind of ceramic filter. I liked that system and looked all around online to het one for lur condo here but couldn't find any. 

I bought some devices for testing water. Both a ydm meter and a ph meter. 

I also bought one of the small things that you attach to the end of your tap. I was able to yest the tao water before and after and found it made no difference. Although it does get dirty quick.

If I were using a water source like yours I would probably get the nog filters you get under the sink or just buy the big bottles.and dispensar

My wife had installed an RO-Tank under our kitchen sink from Mazuma Water Solutions. I do not know if she bought it at HomePro or direct.  It is serviced by Mazuma Service (Thailand). We got tired of the plastic bottles filling the garbage/rubbish every week so she bought a couple of dozen re-useable bottles. I know she or the technician has to come periodically to service it, but it saves a lot of hassle buying water and toting it about.  BTW, we have a 5 gal water cooler, hot-cold dispenser and bottles, but this is so much better we cancelled the delivery service. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

So please looking for advice as to what might suit our needs.

Water comes from the ground well in garden and passes through a system that removes lime scale via loads of resin,

A reverse osmosis system makes clean water, if you take care of maintaining/cleaning/changing the filter, but it also takes minerals out of the water; a filter system with a UV-lamp also cleans the water effective and kills all bacteria (UV light also kills virus), however again, you need to clean and and change filters.

With installation cost price and ongoing filter prices in mind, buying drinking water in large containers might be a better option. Several grocery-stores sells large containers (cirka 15 liters) for about 15 baht (or less) only, and many supermarkets have 6 liter containers for around 30 baht.

A small filter easily cost 300 baht and up, and if you have a three-filter system, and need to change filters just once a year, it's easily a cost of 1,000 baht; however changing every six month is often recommended. 1,000 baht equals up to 1,000 liters – if bought in large containers – or almost 3 liters a day, if semi-annual filter-change it's more than 5 liters a day. Even in 6-liter containers from a supermarket you can have about 1 liter a day for the filter maintenance only.

I had a well – which we don't use anymore due to limestone, rust, and being too close to sea – and filtered the water with large sand and resign filters. For household boiling water an active carbon filter often can take any (bad) taste away, and the boiling will kill bacteria., so that could be a "boiling hot" water solution. A single small filter house is about 500-600 baht, and an active carbon-filter can cost from cirka 250 baht and up to around 400 baht. Expect to change carbon-filter at least once annually, better twice. You might end up with paying 1 baht – or more – per liter water, so the larger container option is still worth considering.

Thaivisa news-section had an article about the RO-filter machines you can bring your own container to, and fill up for a 10 baht coin. Around 90 percent of the tested machines had bad or none filter maintenance; just a reminder about that the running costs shall be included in the calculation, it's not only the price of the machine...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SidJames said:

Where can I buy water quality testing kit?

I had a water filter fitted for the tap in the kitchen but how do I know if it's working & that it's safe enough to drink?

You need to send a water sample for a laboratory to get it tested, the kits you can buy are for pool-water, i.e. PH-value and sediments.

• Like 1

This is not the first time this subject has come up on TV.    I work in the 'water industry' mostly in rural africa and have learned a bit.   In my house in Thailand for 10 years I installed a Terraclear filter made in Laos. https://www.terraclear.org   Elegantly very simple, rugged ceramic filter that has some impressive testing results verified by others.   It does just the same as the cartridge filters water passing through just porous membrane to filter out microbes both the good & bad it just uses what is in effect a ceramic flower pot.   Sits on my counter top and just works. Stores up to 30 litres of ready to drink water

They do sell the in Thailand. - But sure you have to trust in the method and the job it does to truly believe.

Sound like your borehole has treatment to correct issues of what is 'dissolved' in your groundwater from the borehole.  You could get this lab tested to see nothing nasty chemical left in and then just invest in a UV tube disinfectant tube that zaps any microbes in the water that you take in the house shower, washing up water etc etc.   Its quite unusual to find harmful microbes in borehole water if source deep and away from cess pits etc etc.

Ultimately total security is as practiced in town water treatment, chlorinate the water so microbes cant live anywhere in the water through the distribution system.   Any filter system,  however hi the spec, the water delivered from a microbe contaminated faucet or water storage vessel.   Get it right and the chlorine does mostly evaporate off - but really the Terraclear does the job perfectly.   For me I cannot contemplate carrying bottled water into my house when its already piped and then have to carry out and dispose of the empties.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My wife had installed an RO-Tank under our kitchen sink from Mazuma Water Solutions. I do not know if she bought it at HomePro or direct.  It is serviced by Mazuma Service (Thailand). We got tired of the plastic bottles filling the garbage/rubbish every week so she bought a couple of dozen re-useable bottles. I know she or the technician has to come periodically to service it, but it saves a lot of hassle buying water and toting it about.  BTW, we have a 5 gal water cooler, hot-cold dispenser and bottles, but this is so much better we cancelled the delivery service. 

Best choice, next to distilled water but that may be mising essential minerals for your body - then it is a case of taking supplements. Distilled is boiled water and the collection of only the steam is what is used.

Your UV kills the bacteria.

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

A reverse osmosis system makes clean water, if you take care of maintaining/cleaning/changing the filter, but it also takes minerals out of the water; a filter system with a UV-lamp also cleans the water effective and kills all bacteria (UV light also kills virus), however again, you need to clean and and change filters.

With installation cost price and ongoing filter prices in mind, buying drinking water in large containers might be a better option. Several grocery-stores sells large containers (cirka 15 liters) for about 15 baht (or less) only, and many supermarkets have 6 liter containers for around 30 baht.

A small filter easily cost 300 baht and up, and if you have a three-filter system, and need to change filters just once a year, it's easily a cost of 1,000 baht; however changing every six month is often recommended. 1,000 baht equals up to 1,000 liters – if bought in large containers – or almost 3 liters a day, if semi-annual filter-change it's more than 5 liters a day. Even in 6-liter containers from a supermarket you can have about 1 liter a day for the filter maintenance only.

I had a well – which we don't use anymore due to limestone, rust, and being too close to sea – and filtered the water with large sand and resign filters. For household boiling water an active carbon filter often can take any (bad) taste away, and the boiling will kill bacteria., so that could be a "boiling hot" water solution. A single small filter house is about 500-600 baht, and an active carbon-filter can cost from cirka 250 baht and up to around 400 baht. Expect to change carbon-filter at least once annually, better twice. You might end up with paying 1 baht – or more – per liter water, so the larger container option is still worth considering.

Thaivisa news-section had an article about the RO-filter machines you can bring your own container to, and fill up for a 10 baht coin. Around 90 percent of the tested machines had bad or none filter maintenance; just a reminder about that the running costs shall be included in the calculation, it's not only the price of the machine...

Good advice and I would add only one criteria - make sure you are getting bottled water from a trusted supplier e.g. Coca_Cola or one of the breweries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Good advice and I would add only one criteria - make sure you are getting bottled water from a trusted supplier e.g. Coca_Cola or one of the breweries.

Thanks, I think Nestlé is the major water supplier, buying up more named brands than anyone else, but I would gladly trust even major chain's own brands like Tesco, or the affordable brands sold in Makro like "Aro" – well, I do, and I survived so far...????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Best choice, next to distilled water but that may be mising essential minerals for your body - then it is a case of taking supplements. Distilled is boiled water and the collection of only the steam is what is used.

Your UV kills the bacteria.

You get essential minerals from your food - you do not need any in drinking water - and best to not have than to risk getting heavy metals.  RO is cheap and works (a system can be had for 3,000 baht to make 50 liters a day and have in pressure tank for use when needed).  This is the process used for most bottled water these days.  UV can be added but normally would not be required.

• Thanks 1

I use a Mazuma waterfilter like this one for ages now

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mazuma-4-aq-30pc-i100032538-s100038096.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.7165371d9H3CwH&search=1

Never diarrhea, never sick. Carbon block should be changed 2 - 4 times a year. Ceramic block I change once per year.

Important: a ceramics filter must be part of it!

And here is how to clean it

Oh that’s an easy question I just bought one of these earlier this month and I wish I’d bought one 5 years ago when we first started actually living here permanently. Great investment saves money, time, and work especially if you live in the city. This one only cost less than 5,000 baht and they had cheaper ones than this even. We used to buy tons of cases of bottled water all the time but no more. I probably would have bought one sooner but I was basically just doing what I’m used to doing. This is the first time in my life I’ve never needed a car so in the past we’d do a lot more grocery shopping and buy a lot of bottled water. But I saw how cheap these were in the mall last payday and I snatched it up quick and had it delivered the next day and it’s a great investment. I highly recommend it especially if you live close to a well water machine as we do. It only costs me 20 baht to fill up both water tanks a couple times a month and it’s just as good as Fiji Water! And it’s always cold or warm whatever you need. I really felt stupid for not buying one of these years ago.

If you have well water on your property than this is probably perfect for your needs. 

587659FA-1A43-4838-AAFD-135352EFF732.jpeg

Edited by JimLuce
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Oh yeah I remember reading that back in 2015, I don’t know about Bangkok but up here the well water taste just as good as the expensive Fiji Water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JimLuce said:

If you have well water on your property than this is probably perfect for your needs. 

I don't get the connection between "well water" and a water cooler but that's what we do.  Ours doesn't have the heater as I prefer hot water from the kettle.  Most areas will have delivery of the jugs for no additional cost.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I don't get the connection between "well water" and a water cooler but that's what we do.  Ours doesn't have the heater as I prefer hot water from the kettle.  Most areas will have delivery of the jugs for no additional cost.

I’m talking about the well water vending machines that water is just as good as expensive Fiji Water. But I think the op lives in a rural area it sounds like. If you do have to manually purify water you gotta boil it at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 2 minutes first. For example if you’re camping or something boil water by making your fire with cedar wood because cedar burns hotter and will allow a quick rolling boil within 2 minutes if you know what you’re doing. If he lives in the city or near he can just use the vending machines because that water is actually great. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JimLuce said:

If he lives in the city or near he can just use the vending machines because that water is actually great. 

Actually it is not that great according to many tests that have been conducted over the years.  Many machines are either contaminated externally or filters have been used well past their life.  With the current COVID-19 issues would be very careful and take pains to protect hands and bottles.

• Haha 1

I buy water from the vending machines, 3 baht for 2 litres. Then I boil it. I've been drinking that for ten years without a problem.

To the OP - get a laboratory to test for Total Dissolved Solids, Suspended Solids and heavy metals.

If the TDS is under 500 mg/L, it is fit for human consumption. Suspended Solids > 2 mg/L, you need a filter. Any detectible heavy metals - lead, zinc, cadmium, mercury - forget about it. Ditto any odor.

Cheapest option is buy a kettle, and boil it.

HomePro, HomeWorks, Lotus BigC, ... are ways to expensive. The same RO-Systems what they sell for 5.000-9.000 THB you can buy on Lazada for just around 3.000 THB. Filters be there much more cheaper too. And the filters have a service life of 2.500 Gallons.

About the waterstations in the street or the water services what bring the big bottles to you, you never know when they change the filters.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-water-purifiers/?from=input&q=ro&sort=priceasc&price=2750-

Edited by snowgard
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, snowgard said:

water services what bring the big bottles to you, you never know when they change the filters.

They use RO, they are regulated, inspected at least monthly, and sealed before deliver. 10 years for us and never an issue or suspect quality. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it is not that great according to many tests that have been conducted over the years.  Many machines are either contaminated externally or filters have been used well past their life.  With the current COVID-19 issues would be very careful and take pains to protect hands and bottles.

It comes from the ground and it’s actually better than the bottled water I’ve been buying here for years. I remember what you’re referring to and that was back in 2015 in Bangkok. The water up here is really great. Better tasting than Fiji Water. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

They use RO, they are regulated, inspected at least monthly, and sealed before deliver. 10 years for us and never an issue or suspect quality. 

Yeah, but you don't know how much water gone in the filters before they change it. If you use a RO in home it's up to you when you change the filters. My 5 head family use around 150l drinking water weekly for drink, coffee, tea and cooking. The 1. filter we change every 6 month, the others after 1 year. 

10 hours ago, rwill said:

The Pure brand has branches throughout Thailand. If you do get one I would recommend one with UV.  It will cost around 3,000 baht to replace the filters. 

Eminently worth it. If you've using water from a well, it will likely need prefiltration to remove sediment so it doesn't plug your filter too fast. The minerals are good for you! I would also suggest copper piping or at least faucet assembly: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqkyw/copper-destroys-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere. Naturally microbial!

I have a stiebel eltron,the German designed,think their actually made here in Thailand,4 stage filter,very easy to change filters,bayonet type connection,3 filters change every 8 months,the other one every 12 months,the cost against buying bottled water maybe more,but the convenience far outweighs the extra expense,my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You get essential minerals from your food - you do not need any in drinking water - and best to not have than to risk getting heavy metals.  RO is cheap and works (a system can be had for 3,000 baht to make 50 liters a day and have in pressure tank for use when needed).  This is the process used for most bottled water these days.  UV can be added but normally would not be required.

Thank you. A summary of the current state of nutritional science.

This is not to say that our current knowledge is a complete picture but rather an ongoing science. 

If you depend on water to get your 'essential minerals' you will be disappointed to learn that the minerals in water vary, sometimes widely, from one aquifer to another with the principal minerals being present in all of them. It is rock after all that contains the aquifers and rainfall filtered through soil that replenishes them.

You're actually more likely to find micronutrients such as selenium in the plants you eat because they derive them directly from the soil and incorporate them into other chemical structures compatible with our animal biology. Citrus fruit peels contain co-vitamins that aid the absorption of vitamin C. 

Moreover, some groundwater contains high enough concentrations of some minerals as to be more harmful than helpful. Excess iron will permanently stain your teeth because it is incorporated into the enamel when your teeth are forming. Excess calcium get deposited as nodules on bones, called bone spurs. This is why our illustrious 45th leader of the free world was so unfortunately unable to serve his duty in Vietnam. That's the story anyway and he's given us no reason to doubt his veracity thus far. ????

Either way, a varied diet with vegetables and fruits is the best source of mineral nutrients. This is after all what our bodies evolved with. 

Some minerals such as iron are not readily absorbed in their elemental form and are more easily utilized by the body as part of other molecules and co-vitamins.  High concentrations of iron actually decreases its absorption in the gut. Green leafy vegetable are the very best source of iron, though meat is also rich in it as blood cells contain an atom of iron used in bonding oxygen from air into our blood to be carried to the cells. 

So continue to imbibe minerals with your water but don't mistake it as essential. 

I will not attempt to site numerous references but do invite all concerned to do their own research on this topic; it is an extremely vital area to be knowledgeable in since our lives literally depend on it. 

Finally I am not a doctor or nutritional scientist but am a foremost rocket surgeon. ????

If you are concerned about the Corona virus and survival here’s something:

If you get stuck and everything goes to hell Keep this in mind just in case society does fall apart because I’ve had a lot of survival training 20 years ago and if we’re in total survival mode, boil water at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 2 minutes and if there’s no power try to use cedar when selecting your wood burning for your rolling water boil because cedar burns hotter and gets water boiling at a roiling boil within two minutes if you’re being tested lol, and have to do it fast as in a school. But for boiling water use cedar if you can to start your fire. Use a metal pot if you don’t have a cover for your water pot tree bark makes a great cover because it will not burn. There is a crisis currently so everyone keep survival remedies in mind! So we can also keep order if things do go bad.

• Thanks 1