Panic buying in Bangkok: Shopping frenzy before shutters come down

Jonathan Fairfield

Shopping frenzy before shutters come down

n2.jpg

People in Bangkok rushed to department stores on Saturday (March 21) afternoon to buy instant and dried foods as well as other consumer products.

Earlier in the day, Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang announced a closure order for business venues for 22 days from March 22 to April 21 in an effort to prevent the spreading of the new coronavirus or Covid-19.

Under the order, all department stores will be closed from Sunday onwards, except the supermarket section, drug stores and food stalls that provide takeout menus. Eating-in at food courts will be prohibited while hotel restaurants can only accept orders from hotel guests.

Among business venues that will be affected are beauty salons, internet cafés, and markets (except fresh food vendors and food stalls).

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

n6.jpg

ny7.jpg

n3.jpg

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384579

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-21

Covid-19: New stringent measures trigger panic buying in Bangkok

Makkro.jpg

Shoppers crowd the check-out counters of the Ramkhamhaeng branch of Makro store as Bangkokians rush to stock-pile foods and other essential items following a new set of stringent measures announced by Bangkok authorities to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic.

Bangkok residents flocked to stock up on essential goods this afternoon after the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) ordered the closure of most retail businesses, bowling alleys, public swimming pools and golf courses, starting tomorrow to stem the spread of coronavirus infections.

Pubs, bars and cinemas in Bangkok have already been closed.

All department stores will also be closed, except for their supermarket and pharmacy sections while food-shops and restaurants will be allowed to serve only take-home orders.  Grocery and convenience stores will stay open except for their eatery sections.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-19-new-stringent-measures-trigger-panic-buying-in-bangkok/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-03-21

33 minutes ago, balo said:

Not if they are located inside a mall. 

the article says:

"under the order, all department stores will be closed from Sunday onwards, except the supermarket section, drug stores and food stalls that provide takeout menus. "

Edited by homeseeker
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Wife was angry a few weeks ago when we went to Makro and I bought a bunch of dry goods, "too mutt!". Today she opened the first pack of dry noodles from that batch and when I said "well?", she flipped me the bird. I think I have managed to farangize her a bit.

I forced mine to buy some extras, but she didn't get many and did so under protest muttering something like 'it won't happen in Thailand' - she hasn't started to use them yet.

I, on the other hand did a weekly shop multiple times a week starting back in mid February.

• Like 2

Slowly started filling my pantry, cupboards and Freezer from the beginning of February. Girlfriend thought I was crazy until today when her facebook account blew up with all the photos of panicked buyers and empty shelves.  She looked at me and said I guess you knew what would happen.  I stayed silent instead of poking the bear, got up from the couch, grabbed myself a cold beer from the refrigerator, and sat back down while shaking my head.  Its sure sucks to be right once in a while, especially in situations like these.  I just hope we dont see sandbags, and the military on the streets like in 2014..... 

• Like 2