Boosting our immune systems to resist the virus -- what might help and what doesn't?

Jingthing

2 hours ago, graexx said:

... entirely agree.

I would add meditation. 20 mins twice a day. I've been doing it for 30 years. Learn how to do it from a reputable meditation centre.

Benefits are: sound sleep, calmer all day, clear thinking, cleanses the eyes mouth and nose (so, no need for neti-pot mentioned earlier), etc.. (and obviously better imune system).

I further add, don't eat or drink anything from a conveniance store. ????

Is meditating on how I could have cut 5 strokes from my last round of golf acceptable?

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Lot of research done years ago on Zinc, does work and vit D3 apart from that I don't believe the garlic/honey/amulet stuff, I take Vit C as well but no evidence it is effective. Also take B12 as not eaten any dead animals or fish for nearly 50 years. not heard of K2 is that potassium? you need it for the D3 to work, but I eat loads of nuts and it's in those

Bananas are a good source of potassium and zinc, I believe.

I had some K2 tablets sent from UK for dizziness, which went away. I will look at that again  - they might come in useful.

I also have some B12 tablets, I bought them to repel mozzies and didn't use them - I will look at those again too.

We eat a lot of fruit. Vit.C is a regular part of that. I also associate Vit.C with colds - I appear to get more colds using Vit.C rather than repel colds - (can that be?)

Interesting.

I saw an article this morning on MSN.

In addition to washing hands, (before and after food prep., before eating, ,after using the toilet/bathroom included, etc.).

These points are useful, using rubbing alcohol, (or vodka?) + water:

Wipe over TV remote, mobile phone keypads, iPad, keyboards, mouse surfaces. 

Light switches, door handles, padlocks, taps and other surfaces.

I thought it was good advice.

I know that this will upset all the so called untrained and unqualified medical TVF experts, but neither you nor the trained, qualified medical experts know what you are talking about. The reason why I say this is that everyone claims that the most vulnerable people are the elderly or those with a weak immunes system. Then all you so called experts try to explain this. A 39yo in good health dies suddenly from the covid-19 symptoms. Her doctor would not do a test on her because he claimed that her age and her fitness put her in the "low risk category" but she died from the covid-19 virus

Here is a link to the story

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/39yo-in-good-health-dies-suddenly-with-covid-19-symptoms/ar-BB11wPaT?li=AAgfYrC

So don't think that the young healthy people are immune from this virus

Everyone needs to think again about this virus

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

I know that this will upset all the so called untrained and unqualified medical TVF experts, but neither you nor the trained, qualified medical experts know what you are talking about. The reason why I say this is that everyone claims that the most vulnerable people are the elderly or those with a weak immunes system. Then all you so called experts try to explain this. A 39yo in good health dies suddenly from the covid-19 symptoms. Her doctor would not do a test on her because he claimed that her age and her fitness put her in the "low risk category" but she died from the covid-19 virus

Here is a link to the story

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/39yo-in-good-health-dies-suddenly-with-covid-19-symptoms/ar-BB11wPaT?li=AAgfYrC

So don't think that the young healthy people are immune from this virus

I have had two friends die suddenly at the age of 28, neither had the flu at the time...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

I have had two friends die suddenly at the age of 28, neither had the flu at the time...

As it turned out this woman had the virus but when she first went to the doctor he would not give her the test and claimed that she was low risk, that doctor should have given her the test if she presented herself with any symptoms and not just thrown her in the low risk pile.

I firmly believe that  eating Healthy food that assists in protecting you against illness, I personally juice veg/fruit daily in an attempt to Obtain vitamins and minerals required To maintain a healthy body.  Beetroot are one of the best you can use for prostrate/hormone health,  I store garlic cloves in honey and add this to the juice also make ginger tea again with added honey infusion,  we also eat a healthy diet my wife is good Thia cook So lots of herbs added,  I don't eat a lot of meat but by no means vegetarian. You are what you eat,  stay healthy guys. 

14 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

1. High nutritional lifestyle, e.g. a Whole Food Plant based dietary regime - or as close to that as you can tolerate for the duration of the Covid 19 passage through our society. Think Veggies and whole fruits, nuts and seeds, legumes, and whole grain foods. Junk all processed packaged foods and sodas, and drink spring water or zero % Heineken instead of alcohol. You will lose weight naturally, which helps optimise your immune system.

Yes, agreed. I deliberately slipped in this tongue-in-cheek Heineken phrase because it's unlikely that alcohol consumers would desist from imbibing. However, eliminating alcohol all together could be the optimum long-term health benefit - and I doubt very much if any consumers would seek to binge out on zero alcohol beers.  

14 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Thank you stephenterry for that good and generalised advice ... compare/contrast many other posts in this thread spouting nonsense and touting the poster's favourite obsession ... but i'm whistling in the wind here ... so i'll add this tiny correction to stephenterry post and unfollow ...

Capture.JPG.b32d1e37be3ee4800345d8363dad03b1.JPG

Best of luck to us all.

for you info

CARBS turn into .... glucose

10.5 G of carbs = same as 10.5 G of sugar

that reference is just ADDED sugar on top of the carbs

beer is ESTROGENIC (because of the hops) and this is why you see old dudes, boomers, with a big pregnant belly, short temper,  etc... lack of testosterone

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

What's the difference between Manuka honey and other types of honey? Where can I buy it in Chiang Mai?

Don’t bother- much of it is so diluted and a considerable amount sold is fake .

As with most ( nearly all) supplements it is hyped by the food industry, marketing etc - I like honey on toast - will it make me super healthy - of course not.

Your immune system is pretty much a given which you can enhance with good sleep, exercise and a balanced diet. You can also impact it with stress, bad nutrition and no exercise.

Taking supplements is not going to help you unless your nutrition is terrible or you smoke (need more vitamin c). Vitamin K is not going to boost your immune system - it should only be taken for when you are taking meds that impact your blood-clotting system. You can get more by eating more plants.

People should be very careful with supplementing with Zinc. There is a limited RDA and taking too much can upset the balance of other metals in your body. Unless you are on a very unusual diet, you should be getting enough and you should only supplement if your doctor tells you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Ginseng is strangely not known in Thailand.

Yes.  Had to go to Bkk's Chinatown once when I ran out.

Malaysia is a good place to stock up, every sizable town will have a Chinese neighborhood.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In addition to the things I've mentioned are there other things that you're doing now to boost your immune system?

If so, please tell us about them.

Stay healthy if you can. 

Good post.

Edited by 4MyEgo

22 hours ago, rvaviator said:

You be hard pushed to get more fresh air than in Norway ???? ....  Hopefully that will help them recover  ....

Problem is they are so far north that there is not strong enough sunshine for their skin  to make vit D. They would need to suppliment it.

13 minutes ago, malibukid said:

since i moved to Thailand 14 years ago i have not had one cold.  back in the States i would get serious colds 3X a year.  i think this was all due to the stress of living in America.

It's a really interesting anomaly that in Thailand annual influenza deaths are around 2500, whereas in the UK there are 17,000 deaths on average.

This despite the fact that the UK uses flu vaccines much more, has less population etc.

There is no seasonal flu in Thailand either, it occurs year-round.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Logosone said:

It's a really interesting anomaly that in Thailand annual influenza deaths are around 2500, whereas in the UK there are 17,000 deaths on average.

This despite the fact that the UK uses flu vaccines much more, has less population etc.

Did you not know the UK has a different climate to LOS.....? ????

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Did you not know the UK has a different climate to LOS.....? ????

Yes. However, that does not explain it.

Thailand also has less deaths from flu than tropical Singapore or Hong Kong.

Rather than climate, which is a negligible factor since the flu still occurs in Thailand, academics are trying to explain it by age distribution and other factors.

One theory is that because the flu is not seasonal in Thailand but is present year round Thais have a greater immunity to it. But nobody knows for sure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4605410/

Copper, silver and gold....acide aminés.(if your diet is not enough ) Gluthiatone (that will clean and help the lungs)....a lot of magnesium. 2 times the day 500 mg VIT C.....ect ect....drinking warm evey 30 mn to clean mouth nose and throath......and stay optimistic...but Humble and safe

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Thailand does have a flu season. It roughly correlates with the warm rainy season coming up. But like you say numbers are weaker in Thailand.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, wasabi said:

Other than social distancing, face mask, hand sanitizer;

I have always taken multivitamins and will continue. I am exercising as much as possible, eating healthy. Logically it makes sense that if you get the virus the more healthy you are the better.  I also do nasal saline irrigation a few times a day. I know many say this is useless but I think there is no harm and I have read medical opinions I respect who say this can prevent the flu.

I have read (WHO or CDC) that they recommend against nasal irrigation.  Their point was that this would just push the virus deeper into the throat setting you up for infection (seems the virus remains in the nasal cavity for three days before starting to migrate down.  They did suggest that you regularly clean the section of the nasal cavity that can be reached by fingers ... obviously after you have washed your hands

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Yes. However, that does not explain it.

Thailand also has less deaths from flu than tropical Singapore or Hong Kong.

I wonder how Bangkok alone compares Singapore or Hong Kong. Thailand has vast rural areas where country doctors and local hospitals may not record official flu numbers or even bother testing.

• Like 1

Throwing some cold water on all of this. 

To be clear I am not suggesting that the measures mentioned here means you won't be infected if you are exposed to a dose of the virus. 

However, my feeling is that doing some of these things might mean we are physically stronger and might have a better chance of experiencing a less severe version of it than otherwise. 

Obviously this isn't really provable but most of these measures are either objectively good for overall general health such as sleep and exercise or at least harmless such as non mega doses of vitamins.

https://elemental.medium.com/there-are-no-covid-19-miracle-cures-b61186625faf

Edited by Jingthing