Sharp increase in Covid-19 cases in Thai provinces 'cause for concern'

Jonathan Fairfield

45 minutes ago, CLW said:

Why this aggressive tone?

I don't blame them.

The culprit is the current government.

So the government should provide every laid-off worker in Bangkok private transportation to their home (with 2 meters of private space provided)? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Stupidity I think is a better word.

Though I would aim that comment at the government hiding the true scale of the figures to promote tourism to the very end at the expense of the usurped people

Yawn...

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Enlighten me, why do you think it's wise to go on a bus these days?

There's a lot people could do by themselves, all without the government having to tell them. Avoiding bus travel would be high on my list of things to avoid!

Quite simple, I had to visit a government department in person,  their requirement not mine. I would be quite happy never to go there.

20 hours ago, Susco said:

I hate to say it, but you have no idea what your are talking about.

The mortality rate of covid-19 is about 1%, of the people that get infected, which is so far in the worst case in the world 0.5% of the population (San Marino) , so how would it be possible for any country to have 20% of their population die of the virus?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/what-is-coronavirus-and-what-is-the-mortality-rate

What is the mortality rate of the new coronavirus?

It is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

You are wrong and anyone that reads the guardian is a clown.

• Confused 1

I would worry as unlike Italy and Spain it isn't the "cold & flu"season" in Thailand yet. That normally occurs with the start of the wet; May onwards ..... surely it is then it will really  take off?

Edited by Airbagwill

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I am not understanding the argument that the virus cant live in temps over 27 Celsius, Heat kills it etc

IT THRIVES IN A HUMAN BODY THAT IS 37 DEGREES.

Good reasoning, Peterw42!

• Like 1

Just now, ledi said:

Good reasoning, Peterw42!

the normal thing with viruses of any kind is that they are passed around more efficiently in COLD WEATHER, not because of the temperature itself, but because of natural human behaviour during cold weather - much more time spent in small rooms together etc....

21 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I would worry as unlike Italy and Spain it isn't the "cold & flu"season" in Thailand yet. That normally occurs with the start of the wet; May onwards ..... surely it is then it will really  take off?

The accelerated spread during rainy season is likely because of people staying indoors in close quarters. Social distancing needed, again.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I am not understanding the argument that the virus cant live in temps over 27 Celsius, Heat kills it etc

IT THRIVES IN A HUMAN BODY THAT IS 37 DEGREES.

Once the virus infects human cells, it stays in them and replicates. Different thing than being out in the open, it uses the host cell systems when in vivo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vivo

• Thanks 1

There are roadblocks, manned by police and health workers, in the Petchabun area, usually in the southbound lanes. All passengers are examined for a high temperature/fever.

I was questioned by hotel and restaurant managers expressed concern that I may have virus and questioned my nationality and when I arrived in Thailand. People are getting very scared!

6 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

There are roadblocks, manned by police and health workers, in the Petchabun area, usually in the southbound lanes. All passengers are examined for a high temperature/fever.

I was questioned by hotel and restaurant managers expressed concern that I may have virus and questioned my nationality and when I arrived in Thailand. People are getting very scared!

I'm starting to get scared, thanks to the total incompetence of the "govt" here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
Baht is loosing ground to the USD, up almost 4 baht per dollar since the beginning of the year....means my 800,000 baht I need in the bank for my extension will cost me less now...., but then there is the downside of it being worth less.....sigh

1 US Dollar = 33.02 Thai Baht
Last updated · March 23, 10:50 AM GMT+7

Can't say the same for the AUD to the Thai Baht ....... OMG 18.87 at last look and dropping................ hope it stops free falling soon...............

image.png.191dc20d7e24280ce82f24de4a764a85.png

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry, Yorkshire Tea but it is not only the Thai government that has stuffed this up but most of the governments around the world and the WHO. They all had plenty of time to do something but they all sat on their hands and blamed everything on China instead of doing something positive to try and avert this mess

Totally agree, said the same on the phone to my Mother an hour ago.  But living in Thailand, I was commenting about the Thai govt, especially their actions over the exodus to the provinces.

Edited by Yorkshire Tea

18 minutes ago, berrec said:

Can't say the same for the AUD to the Thai Baht ....... OMG 18.87 at last look and dropping................ hope it stops free falling soon...............

image.png.191dc20d7e24280ce82f24de4a764a85.png

Transfer wise with fees equates to about 15 baht to your Oz dollar!????????????

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

So the government should provide every laid-off worker in Bangkok private transportation to their home (with 2 meters of private space provided)? 

How about paying a compensation for laid-off workers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Totally agree, said the same on the phone to my Mother an hour ago.  But living in Thailand, I was commenting about the Thai govt, especially their actions over the exodus to the provinces.

What did you think they were going to once their work places were closed down ?

On 3/22/2020 at 8:01 AM, Just1Voice said:

Hate to say it, and would hate to see it, but I have a feeling Thailand may lose one-fifth of their population before this is through, mostly because of their own ignorance. 

Mortality rate of this virus is 1-2% of reported cases and mostly elderly.   I doubt the death toll will be anywhere close to 1/5

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

That's where the govt failed.  Leaving option should 've been closed.  food & help should've been part of the plan.

No precedent for that.

I would have done what Hun Sen did when the Cambodian illegal workers fled building sites in Thailand....... Arrange fleets of (free) buses from Bangkok and Pattaya and screen + record all passengers..... with ongoing reporting at the point of destination .... where local food supplies could also be arranged.

29 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

I doubt the death toll will be anywhere close to 1/5

I hope you are correct, unfortunately the most vulnerable people in Thai society have been "thrown to the dogs" those that were left behnd in the villages are generally the older folks who are not very healthy, breathe crappy air, eat a poor diet and usually drink far too much, the medical facilities they have access to are rudimentary are best, now they will be sharing rooms with all the suspected carriers that may not even show any symptoms themselves, hard to imagine a happy ending?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

Mortality rate of this virus is 1-2% of reported cases and mostly elderly.   I doubt the death toll will be anywhere close to 1/5

8% in Italy.

TH is full of chain smokers and drinkers - add to that a poor provincial health care system that relies on antibiotics handed out like candy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Massive deaths from pandemics, tend to teach valuable lessons. Thailand needs to move beyond scapegoating farangs for every problem and taking responsibility for their own failures.

And yet as of today, Thailand doing better than 5 or 6 of the wealthiest, best educated first world countries.  

How many pandemics have you lived through?

What are some valuable lessons you learned?  5555

This is my first

Peace

Edited by Skallywag
  • Haha 1