Biden to start considering running mates, consulted Obama

webfact

44 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I didn't think Biden should have locked himself in like that, to promise a woman VP.  But since the majority of the electorate are women (unlike the TV forum), probably not a bad move. 

The suburban women's vote, formerly Republican, is now up for grabs.  That said, women voters have never expressed a strong voting preference for women candidates.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Call me crazy, but wait a few months, please, but I don't think Biden and/or Trump will be a candidate in November.

I give it 50/50 that Trump will find a way to suspend or cancel the election.  I know that he lacks the authority to do so, but if he were to issue an order to that effect, several Republican governors, who actually conduct the elections, might decide to go along with it and then, poof, the results have weakened legitimacy. 

In that scenario, who would stop Trump?  

Edited by cmarshall

17 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Nope.  It will be a white female.  Biden already has the black vote who come out for him in numbers.   Putting a black on the ticket might cost him some Republican votes.  Warren is the only one of the wannabes capable of being president.  But Biden won't forgive her for attacking him, so it will be someone else.

It'll be Warren or Klobuchar. As you say, why pander Black if you already have them? Klobuchar helps in upper midwest, very important. Warren may help with progressives if they buy she is a progressive, which most people don't.

9 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I give it 50/50 that Trump will find a way to suspend or cancel the election.  I know that he lacks the authority to do so, but if he were to issue an order to that effect, several Republican governors, who actually conduct the elections, might decide to go along with it and then, poof, the results have weakened legitimacy. 

In that scenario, who would stop Trump?  

That is certainly one plausible scenario.

8 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

It'll be Warren or Klobuchar. As you say, why pander Black if you already have them? Klobuchar helps in upper midwest, very important. Warren may help with progressives if they buy she is a progressive, which most people don't.

The fact is that the VP candidate never matters to the outcome.  People vote for presidents, not vice presidents.  The only exception I can think of in the modern era is LBJ in 1960 without whom JFK would probably not have carried Texas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, most here are way out of touch with reality. Especially those that base their so called knowledge on the nonsense from Trump TV (aka Fox News) and the other rights wing propaganda machines. The selection for Biden's running mate will be Stacey Abrams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

You want me to take an eye test? Let me assure you, I am not blind.

I thought when Hillary all of a sudden out of nowhere came out swinging against Bernie that she was a stalking horse.  Bernie had campaigned for her 33 times in 2016.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Wow, most here are way out of touch with reality. Especially those that base their so called knowledge on the nonsense from Trump TV (aka Fox News) and the other rights wing propaganda machines. The selection for Biden's running mate will be Stacey Abrams.

Abrams is very smart and has a future in politics, but there is no way Biden would pick her.  As I pointed out above he's going to get all the black vote with or without her, but he wants to appeal to some of the suburban women's vote, formerly Republican, some of whom may blanch at the prospect of a black woman president.  Also, the Trump campaign would make Abrams the focus of their attacks as too far to the left, i.e. too black.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Maybe Andrew Cuomo who is now the talk of the town and seem miles ahead of Trump in his handling of the pandemic in NY. He is young too. 

Not a woman and he's more of a president than a vice president. Presidents don't like to be upstaged like that. 

• Like 1

Val Demings

She's got almost everything. 

Middle aged black woman 

Presidential gravitas in temperament. 

Florida! 

She'll win Florida for Biden. 

One downside. No name recognition. 

As far as Abrams she's got the passion and charisma but I kind of agree she may be threatening to more swingy moderate white voters. 

I don't think Demings has that problem. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/columnists/os-op-val-demings-vice-president-david-whitley-20200313-wm3vwu45ojewfe43x7k7wxl5oy-story.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not a woman and he's more of a president than a vice president. Presidents don't like to be upstaged like that. 

You probably right. Both gentlemen are close friends for a longtime. He also openly endorsed Biden whom he see as the best person to beat Trump. Some say that he is looking for AG in Biden’s WH. 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Val Demings

She's got almost everything. 

Middle aged black woman 

Presidential gravitas in temperament. 

Florida! 

She'll win Florida for Biden. 

One downside. No name recognition. 

As far as Abrams she's got the passion and charisma but I kind of agree she may be threatening to more swingy moderate white voters. 

I don't think Demings has that problem. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/columnists/os-op-val-demings-vice-president-david-whitley-20200313-wm3vwu45ojewfe43x7k7wxl5oy-story.html

Demings makes me nervous. I can just imagine her looking me right in the eye and saying, "Do you know how fast you were going?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kelsall said:

I think it will be Hillary.  The Clintons will use this senile old man to get back in the White House.

I think you're onto something.  Back in the day, Bill was referred to as "the 1st black president" so it looks as though Hillary would fit the bill as being a woman and of color.

To the issue of Biden already having the black vote. Yes that is true. So did Hillary. But the key is to get them to turn out overwhelmingly. As I've mentioned before there is theory that if 45 gets as little as 12 percent of the black vote he wins. So Biden needs the black vote on steroids. So yes an African American VP would be very helpful to his chances. 

• Haha 1

Whomever he picks will be president within the first year. He didn't even want to run for president; he'll step down.

Of course I don't think he'll win. And not because Trump will declare marshal law or something. This ain't Russia. I'd fight that even being a Trump-policy supporter. Don't like the man personally, as I didn't care for Obama's personality either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, frantick said:

Whomever he picks will be president within the first year. He didn't even want to run for president; he'll step down.

Of course I don't think he'll win. And not because Trump will declare marshal law or something. This ain't Russia. I'd fight that even being a Trump-policy supporter. Don't like the man personally, as I didn't care for Obama's personality either.

Biden has been running for president for about 30 years. 

Of course he wanted to run and win. 

Predicting his life span I'll leave to the Gods but I do think his VP will be seen as a probable next president. 

• Haha 2