Masks: to wear or not to wear

Bannockburn

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Come on you know the answer, WHO,CDC and the NHS  vs Anutin

Really?

Should I wear a respirator in public?

• CDC does not recommend the routine use of respirators outside of workplace settings (in the community). Most often, spread of respiratory viruses from person-to-person happens among close contacts (within 6 feet). CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as avoiding people who are sick, avoiding touching your eyes or nose, and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue. People who are sick should stay home and not go into crowded public places or visit people in hospitals. Workers who are sick should follow CDC guidelines and stay home when they are sick.

You would be an idiot to depend on that.

How do you avoid people that are sick, other than staying inside, alone?

Try avoiding touching your eyes and nose. You won't be able to do it.

Covering your cough and sneeze with a tissue? Are you happy to depend on everyone around you to do so?

I'll wear a mask thanks.

1 hour ago, Bannockburn said:

The "experts" seem to be all over the shop with this one. On the one hand we have the WHO,CDC and the NHS saying don't wear. They are a health hazard and are only useful for health workers.

On the other hand we have the Thai government (not only Mr Anutin) threatening to fine anyone outside not wearing a mask. What is the definitive answer?

The experts are not "all over the place". WHO,CDC and NHS give the same advice.

Don't make the mistake of regarding ai Anutin and his cohorts as experts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bannockburn said:

The "experts" seem to be all over the shop with this one. On the one hand we have the WHO,CDC and the NHS saying don't wear. They are a health hazard and are only useful for health workers.

A large reason a lot of the health authorities like the WHO and CDC are recommending the public NOT wear face masks is not that they don't work, but instead, that there's a severe shortage of them and they want to reserve the available supplies for medical personnel who need to treat CV patients. Because the masks, particularly the N95 variety, DO work.

Think it thru - how can masks be useful for health workers, but a health hazard for the general public.

• Thanks 1

Medical debate aside, I got one in the car. When I get out to do my shopping I stick it on, makes others feel more comfortable.

Its all about a quiet life ....... ????

(May stop you getting filled in later too!)

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

I have looked at people in our workplace who wear masks.....they touch their face about 200 times a day adjusting and moving their masks....not a good idea and adds to the risk of infection, and many of them seem to insist on having them hanging around their chin when they are talking!!

Until the  issue of  Covid-19 arose a good number of people wore  masks as a response  to  air pollution.

Any  question or  debate as to whether that was  good or not was minimal.

Now there is the paradoxical situation where any  justification for wearing a mask to reduce risk from pm25

is lost in the debate about viral protection.

In the mix of opinion the "official " weight of opinion is that it is pointless or possibly increasing the risk of  contracting Covid-19 or in  fact any other airbourne  virus.

LennyW notes that he has  now "looked" at people who wear masks and comments in agreement of the idea  that it  increases risk due to the  behaviour of people who fiddle about with an item that is understandably a subliminal distraction.

LennyW probably can not say that if he  had observed  people in his workplace with same perspective.

Understand  that I am not saying  LennyW is wrong in his observation.

But  if  with the same perspective in observation could anyone say that they have noted how many times people touch their face anyway? There has never been any cause to take  such  note.

It would  seem obvious  that if it were to be to much the same degree  but that the irritation of a mask  simply changes the point of  contact which is still a barrier then perhaps there remains some  justification for  the  mask?

And there in the background of this debate are those who wear a mask to  reduce  the  pm25 but  now  are perhaps  being stigmatized for doing so from another  perspective.

To wear or  not  to wear? This is the  question.

Perhaps  some redirection of opinion would  be better directed  at those  who constantly  squeeze their   zits while  peering into  any reflective  surface just prior to entering  shopping  malls  etc after  wiping extracts  on their  clothing!

How have we survived so  far ?????

as we all know, wearing of masks by the general public is a waste of resources.  they do no good generally, aside from making other people feel better.

that is a good thing, for we are a few drops of foreigners in a deep sea of local people, many of whom can be racist and xenophobic, and particularly susceptible to the vile pronouncements of demagogic ministers.

wear a mask to protect your health.  protection not from the virus, but from random torch-n-pitchfork attacks against dirty foreigners.  sure, most thais wouldn't do that, but crowds and fear mixed with xenophobic comments by some authority figures can lead to regrettable situations when somebody in the soi tests positive, or is rumored to have tested positive....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timendres said:

At this point in time, wearing a mask is mostly to comfort the people cr@pp1ng their drawers around you. It is simply a courtesy, and might spare you a little animosity.

I read all the posts, pros and cons and the above answer is still the the most practical and relevant.

I wear a mask based on the premise that it generally makes the mostly mask-wearing and less concerned with medical science local population, feel more comfortable. There's absolutely NO downside in that regard.

Being a member of a household of 7 and having traveled extensively in the months before I re-entered Thailand, I consider that I MAY ALREADY BE INFECTED and wearing a mask gives me a considerable reassurance that I am protecting my family.

If everyone stopped running scared about getting infected and accepted that they may already be infected, a lot of the questions become irrelevant, like wearing a mask or not.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Think it thru

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

particularly the N95 variety, DO work.

N95 is a designation from Occupational Health and Safety. It is a dust mask. No more no less. N95 is not a medical mask.

Sure they may work if someone is coughing and sneezing but that person should not be out in public in the first place and certainly not in a crowded space.

Society always seems to dive to the bottom. 

Me I've got both plastic and rubber gloves in case I have to touch something. Which BTW are also worn by medical staff.

Yes I am erked into a herd action that won't in itself stop me becoming infected.

Edited by VocalNeal

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

N95 is a designation from Occupational Health and Safety. It is a dust mask. No more no less. N95 is not a medical mask.

Sure they may work if someone is coughing and sneezing but that person should not be out in public in the first place and certainly not in a crowded space.

N95 masks when worn properly have the capability to filter out airborne virus materials, that's why the U.S. CDC recommends them for medical personnel who have to treat CV patients, along with gloves, gowns, face shields, etc.

The only reason the CDC doesn't recommend them for the public is there aren't even enough for medical personnel, and to some extent, apparently the CDC doesn't believe the average citizen wearer can figure out and follow the proper fit and hygiene etiquette for wearing them properly.

I can quote and cite the CDC recommendations of N95 masks for medical personnel, but I've already done it about 1000 times here. Don't waste my time by asking for 1001. If you don't believe me, check the CDC guidance for yourself.

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If everyone stopped running scared about getting infected and accepted that they may already be infected, a lot of the questions become irrelevant, like wearing a mask or not.

Yes, by all means... Spread it around and share it with your family and others...  The more the merrier!!!  :crying: 

Throw caution to the wind. Just assume you're already half way to dead.... 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

apparently the CDC doesn't believe the average citizen wearer can figure out and follow

are they wrong?   consider the "average" bike rider or auto driver.

have they figgered out the wearing of helmets or seatbelts?

12 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

are they wrong?   consider the "average" bike rider or auto driver.

have they figgered out the wearing of helmets or seatbelts?

I can't control stupidity. But I also don't start with the premise that the entire population is too stupid to do the right things the right way.

Here's the CDC's advice for emergency services personnel who have to deal with real or suspected CV cases:

EMS clinicians who will directly care for a patient with possible COVID-19 infection or who will be in the compartment with the patient should follow Standard, Precautions and use the PPE as described below. Recommended PPE includes:

• N-95 or higher-level respirator or facemask (if a respirator is not available),
    • N95 respirators or respirators that offer a higher level of protection should be used instead of a facemask when performing or present for an aerosol-generating procedure

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-for-ems.html

•  

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Honestly I'm with Thailand on this and frankly don't understand the argument about not wearing them. Even if it's just useful to not spread the virus it should be a common courtesy to wear one especially since it takes 2 weeks for symptoms to show. 

• Like 1

I attended a clinic yesterday and I was somewhat dismayed when a farang walked into the clinic wearing his shoes.  He failed to adhere to the sign on the door or cultural practice of removing foot wear.  Removing shoes and sandals on entering an house or office  and greeting some Thai style is important not just out of respect but also good hygiene.  Footwear carry bacteria and viruses into your house.  Please show respect to your hosts and remove footweer when requested.  You are putting others heath and safety at risk and being disrespectful at the same time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Masks are useless unless you have symptoms yourself or someone is sneezing or coughing close to you.

The coronavirus doesn't fly around in the air.

Wear disposable gloves is always a better protection.

Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts are 100 percent wrong, except for wearing gloves.  Who told you it isn't aerosolized? 

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Masks are useless unless you have symptoms yourself or someone is sneezing or coughing close to you.

The coronavirus doesn't fly around in the air.

Wear disposable gloves is always a better protection.

Just my thoughts.

like this?

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, by all means... Spread it around and share it with your family and others...  The more the merrier!!!  :crying: 

I think that maybe you misunderstood the poster's meaning. He was stating that, by assuming that he may already be infected, but not showing any symptoms yet, that it was a good idea that he wear a mask.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I read all the posts, pros and cons and the above answer is still the the most practical and relevant.

I wear a mask based on the premise that it generally makes the mostly mask-wearing and less concerned with medical science local population, feel more comfortable. There's absolutely NO downside in that regard.

Being a member of a household of 7 and having traveled extensively in the months before I re-entered Thailand, I consider that I MAY ALREADY BE INFECTED and wearing a mask gives me a considerable reassurance that I am protecting my family.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your comment does not make sense.

NanLeaw writes that he wears a mask to protect his family.

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

Honestly I'm with Thailand on this and frankly don't understand the argument about not wearing them. Even if it's just useful to not spread the virus it should be a common courtesy to wear one especially since it takes 2 weeks for symptoms to show. 

The problem is that the 'powers to be' are setting false expectations.

Many people here say that wearing a mask is a cultural thing and that we should all do it.

It will not protect you from getting the virus!

So, I am better accepted by Anukin by wearing one but in a bed in an ICU and likely to die. That does not make me feel good.

By the way - I cannot find any in the shops on the island where I live. They have all been exported to ??? Cough cough dead?

1 hour ago, Chrysaora said:

How do you get away with writing this?

Why won't it protect you from getting the virus?  Explain.

There has been a lot of back and forth on the issue of face masks.   The experts who indicate masks are not necessary recommend that they be worn by people who are infected (or at a high risk of having contracted the virus).   Those opposed do so for two reason, one is that it really won't protect you and two that it causes people to touch their face more and many people don't wear them appropriately.   In some countries, masks are in short supply and needed by medical personnel.

I read an abstract from a medical journal (I can't remember which one, so unfortunately I have no link).   It didn't discuss masks, but it did find that the virus can remain in aerosol form for up to 3 hours.   The abstract was comparing Covid-19 to it's cousin SARS.   If that is the case, in a crowded area and on public transport, it may provide some protection.   It certainly would help with minimizing those with the virus from spreading it.   Social distancing is difficult in a country like Thailand.