An 80% mask compliance rate essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak.

Chrysaora

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Please tell me where can I buy N95 masks or even surgical masks?

Because all the pharmacies in which I asked are out of stock.

And I definitely won't buy any (maybe used) masks from unknown suppliers on the internet.

Try lazada. If you are desperate then multiple studies found that any kind of tissue/custom facemask is better than using nothing. Simply bring more than 1 and clean everyday. 

30 minutes ago, Chrysaora said:

Common sense tells you that the N95 mask will protect you and other people around you.  

If you wear a common surgical mask, it will protect those around you more than it will protect you ... unless

Everyone else is wearing a surgical mask too.

It's common sense.  

I thought the N95 mask was for particles and considered all but useless for boomer remover.

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I definitely won't buy any (maybe used) masks from unknown suppliers on the internet.

You can still order some on shopee or search there for n95. as an example: 

https://shopee.co.th/product/67153357/5719809603

But I give no guarantee of the Quality or whatever. 

Hope it helps.

58 minutes ago, Chrysaora said:

Common sense tells you that the N95 mask will protect you and other people around you.  

If you wear a common surgical mask, it will protect those around you more than it will protect you ... unless

Everyone else is wearing a surgical mask too.

It's common sense.  

Unfortunatly there is very little of that abounding in LOS.

• Like 1

Herd immunity means such a great number of people are infected and immune to the virus that it can not spread any longer.

If herd immunity is the only way to stop the spread of the virus (because governments were unable to isolate their country or subsequently test and isolate the infected) then would it be wrong to wear masks and self isolate, wouldn't it?

As soon as herd immunity is achieved the virus will stop.

So wearing masks could be counter-productive, as could self-isolation.

Edited by Logosone

51 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I thought the N95 mask was for particles and considered all but useless for boomer remover.

Virus spreads through sneezes and coughs with water droplets. They don't fly off individually but in clusters.

The N95 would be able to stop the droplets of water.

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Virus spreads through sneezes and coughs with water droplets. They don't fly off individually but in clusters.

The N95 would be able to stop the droplets of water.

There is a study that found that these mask do in fact stop particules much smaller than virus. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662779/

"3M industrial filters were able to capture over 95% of particles down to 0.007 micron. That’s over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus." 

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/coronavirus-pollution-masks-n95-surgical-mask/

4-EN.jpg

42 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Yay! Common sense will cure the corona virus. Who needs experts?

... good one, then again the 'common sense' part would actually be spot on if you think about it ...

Alas, not too much of it around as others already mentioned.

48 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Herd immunity means such a great number of people are infected and immune to the virus that it can not spread any longer.

If herd immunity is the only way to stop the spread of the virus (because governments were unable to isolate their country or subsequently test and isolate the infected) then would it be wrong to wear masks and self isolate, wouldn't it?

As soon as herd immunity is achieved the virus will stop.

So wearing masks could be counter-productive, as could self-isolation.

True...but the threat now is that allowing everyone to get infected will overwhelm healthcare facilities. You want to achieve herd immunity slowly or you risk mass deaths in the short-term.

1 hour ago, Silencer said:

True...but the threat now is that allowing everyone to get infected will overwhelm healthcare facilities. You want to achieve herd immunity slowly or you risk mass deaths in the short-term.

Looking at Italy and Spain (and Spain btw, had by no means a poor health service), it seems that the health services will be overwhelmed no matter what happens.

Principally because governments when given a warning in 2012 of the catastrophic effects of a pandemic by the Robert Koch Institute chose to do....nothing. 

The only exception could be Germany, where for years spending on health care has been exorbitant and rising, possibly SKorea and Japan. But all the other health services will most likely go through a few weeks of panic like Italy did.

These panics are short-lived however, cases seem to taper off for some reason, possibly herd immunity.

Would it not be better to get herd immunity as quickly as possible to stop the spread of this virus and end the whole macabre spectacle?

3 hours ago, bestie said:

You can still order some on shopee or search there for n95. as an example: 

https://shopee.co.th/product/67153357/5719809603

But I give no guarantee of the Quality or whatever. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks, luckily I was able to buy some masks today on an unexpected place (Tabaco Monopol). So I bought a big box of "surgical masks" to have something.

But I still want to buy the N95 from a reputable supplier. Let's look when the pharmacies have stock again.

This is the open air market where I bought them: 13.723344, 100.555646

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

These panics are short-lived however, cases seem to taper off for some reason, possibly herd immunity.

Would it not be better to get herd immunity as quickly as possible to stop the spread of this virus and end the whole macabre spectacle?

That does not seem to be accurate.  The closest the statistics on worldometers.info comes to tapering off is in the rate of growth of new daily cases— but this is likely constrained by testing more than a reflection that it is stabilizing.

Moreover, the number of active cases is only stabilizing in some countries due to increases in the death rate.

The obvious exceptions are S. Korea, Japan, Singapore, and China.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There giving them away at the bus stations

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tayaout said:

"Universal use of face masks could be considered if supplies permit." 

The US CDC has recommended N95 masks for EMS personnel dealing with suspected COVID cases.

But then the national and worldwide shortages hit of N95 masks, so they retreated to saying regular surgical masks could be used if N95 masks weren't available.

Now in their latest version, they're telling EMS and medical personnel that if they get into crisis mode and none of the other types of masks are available, they could resort to wearing face scarves and bandanas as a last resort.

The recommendations from both the CDC and the WHO regarding public wear of face masks have been based as much or more on the notion of preserving their supply for health care workers vs the notion that average citizens may not know how to properly use and wear the face masks, or that the same masks would be somehow less effective for the public.

Their guidance to the public re mask wearing is being driven by market conditions, more than by issues of how effective the face protection devices may be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

That does not seem to be accurate.  The closest the statistics on worldometers.info comes to tapering off is in the rate of growth of new daily cases— but this is likely constrained by testing more than a reflection that it is stabilizing.

Moreover, the number of active cases is only stabilizing in some countries due to increases in the death rate.

The obvious exceptions are S. Korea, Japan, Singapore, and China.

Yah, bad news, the figures from worldometers.info are totally incorrect. They only look at 'identified' cases.

As we now know from Sir Patrick Vallance the real figure of cases is ten to twenty times higher at least, possibly more.

So for instance their death rates look way off.