All ATMs appear to be down (930 25th)

I had a different kind of problem and I got it fixed. Today my ATM card would not work  - Bangkok Bank said communication error and my own bank krungThai said - unable to read card go to your issuing bank. 

The problem was my card had a four digit password. I needed to upgrade to a 6 digit password. Once I did that I was OK. I saw many in the bank with me doing the same thing. Make sure this is not your problem. You now must have a six digit pin number.

I am not sure if that applies to cards issued outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

I had a different kind of problem and I got it fixed. Today my ATM card would not work  - Bangkok Bank said communication error and my own bank krungThai said - unable to read card go to your issuing bank. 

The problem was my card had a four digit password. I needed to upgrade to a 6 digit password. Once I did that I was OK. I saw many in the bank with me doing the same thing. Make sure this is not your problem. You now must have a six digit pin number.

I used an UK card in an ATM this afternoon. 4 digit PIN.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Have just tried 6 different ATMs in pattaya and all say comm error. Is this all over ?

Maybe trying to stop a run on the banks

Peterw42
I know that Bangkok Bank had communication issues.  I went to one of their branches and even the queuing system was not functional.  I used an SCB ATM and had no problems whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, jingjai9 said:

No it has nothing to do with foreign ATM cards. They can still have four digit pin. So can many cards in Thailand. Had you changed card before when the cards without chip stopped work? Otherwise that might have been the real problem.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe not blocking farang cards but it does appear to be linked to language, a poster before was saying if you leave the ATM language in Thai, it works. And the app has reverted back to Thai

And that poster should be ashamed for even suggesting that was the issue and feeding the paranoia already so latent on this board.

Another poster suggesting lazada was blocking transactions on foreign cards.

What is wrong with you people?

10 hours ago, Pib said:

Or maybe just a problem with your card.   If your card has been blocked, like if it's a foreign card, you can get the same error message which implies it a communication error but really it's your foreign bank disapproving the transaction.

Or, it can be simply a comm error as the message implies in a "selected area."   It's kinda like how the internet can go down in selected errors.

I would also recommend if those 6 different ATMs were the same bank or maybe two different banks is to try ATMs owned by other banks....even banks you have never used.  It may end-up costing your around a Bt20 extra charge to use another bank ATMs, but maybe some other banks are not have comm problems in your area.

There is an immediate issue. Give it a couple of days to clear ... This from Chiang Mai.

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Its started....AC had a run on ATMs 10 days ago....expect the same...no shopping without residency, no ATM working, muggings outside supermarkets, road blocks and passes required with only one per week...living in lala land it tends to go over your head...but now reality is kicking in 

What are you on about?

2 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:
3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Its started....AC had a run on ATMs 10 days ago....expect the same...no shopping without residency, no ATM working, muggings outside supermarkets, road blocks and passes required with only one per week...living in lala land it tends to go over your head...but now reality is kicking in 

What are you on about?

He's a well know forum stress monkey with friends in Angeles City (Philippines) who are born panic merchants.

• Like 2

6:30 a.m. Pattaya. Foreign bank visa. ATM had normal screen. Put card in and up popped "Temporarily out of order" and ate my card. All day on phone with Thai only, music, transfers, call backs. Got my card back near closing time at distant branch. Card worked fine at branch ATM.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

He's a well know forum stress monkey with friends in Angeles City (Philippines) who are born panic merchants.

as a stress monkey, he is in good company with the ape claiming its only english language thats the issue and funds dispense in Thai.

Not sure whonis worse, those spreading the disinformation or those only too willing lap it up.

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

He is talking about the Philippines, which has no bearing on us......Angeles City is a cesspool worse then Pattaya....

Yes im familiar, I used to wakeboard at decca, clark regularly.

Yet another who left thailand and seems unable to leave off the comparison

11 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

as a stress monkey, he is in good company with the ape claiming its only english language thats the issue and funds dispense in Thai.

Don,t know what he said but he is correct . The ATM,S worked fine if you selected Thai language but not if you selected English.

24 minutes ago, pontious said:

Don,t know what he said but he is correct . The ATM,S worked fine if you selected Thai language but not if you selected English.

Uh huh, and bankok bank branches were marking whole rows of machines out of order because of this fact.

Edited by metempsychotic

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I had numerous problems just logging in to my BBK. When I did get in transferring was not possible. I next wet to an atm and t took my card but it did dispense. I have a replacement.

Same here @ 9:30 pm.

After three tries, I was finally successful with login and transfer.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

6:30 a.m. Pattaya. Foreign bank visa. ATM had normal screen. Put card in and up popped "Temporarily out of order" and ate my card. All day on phone with Thai only, music, transfers, call backs. Got my card back near closing time at distant branch. Card worked fine at branch ATM.

And this is newsworthy?

so after not working since 09:30 this morning in Hua Hin my Bangkok Bank ATM card worked at 19:00 at ATM.

that was the fifth try at four different banks over the course of the day.

I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Edited by NCC1701A

Just now, NCC1701A said:

so after not working since 09:30 this morning in Hua Hin my Bangkok Bank ATM card worked at 19:00 at ATM.

that was the fifth try over the course of the day.

I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings.

I withdrew 50k Baht (30k+20k in two transactions) about half an hour ago from my Kasikorn account at the yellow ATM near a 7/11 in Takiab.

11 hours ago, Estrada said:

closure of overcounter transactions. All transactions now should be online

yes, it's global. seems like there is one world government

and they are giving orders to goverments all over the world.

amazing to see how quickly those orders are being implemented.

only problem is - what if someone lose his bank card?

than what? starvation to death?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

ts that New "Dirty Foreigner" button you needed to push not the one for English

sounds funny, but acctually a very serious and dangerous situation.

imagine someone who did'nt keep enough cash, than lost his card,

than he is sitting in his room without food and just

starve to death.

think i am exaggerating? i heard many stories like that from the china blockdown,

now i believe.