All ATMs appear to be down (930 25th)

21 hours ago, FredLee said:

Update: Wife just checked with the staff at BBK branch at MeeChok plaze in Chiang Mai. They had her fill out some form, and said that everyone's account should be updated by 7:00 pm to show the corrected balance. 

Have they updated your wife's account correctly? I was told the same but still nothing 

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big queues of Thais outside the pink Government Savings Bank today in Pattaya

Thats people putting their mortgage repayments on hold, wife did it yesterday, fill in a form saying employment has//will be shuting down and minimal mortgage repayments for the net 2-3 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Have they updated your wife's account correctly? I was told the same but still nothing 

Checked just now, and they have not updated it. She did get a telephone number to call if it had not been corrected. Will check again at 0930 when the branch opens, and if not corrected by then will call them.

50 minutes ago, FredLee said:

Checked just now, and they have not updated it. She did get a telephone number to call if it had not been corrected. Will check again at 0930 when the branch opens, and if not corrected by then will call them.

Thanks. Will call them too.

I am still having problems with transferring money from the UK to Bangkok bank using Transferwise . Since the 25th when my £700 was rejected by BB and refunded to my UK account by TW I have tried £300 , £10 twice as a test transfer . The tracker showed money waiting to be cleared / processed by BB . The whole process normally takes 2 minutes with a Messenger text confirmation which has now ceased to happen . I went to my branch of BB today and was a waste of time with them saying 2 - 5 days for international transfers and they did not understand or know the Transferwise system . Could go on and on but are other users of TW banking with BB having any problems . PS  had to use ATM , BB ATM said communication problem same as the 7-11 ATM but the SCB paid out . 

16 minutes ago, superal said:

I am still having problems with transferring money from the UK to Bangkok bank using Transferwise . Since the 25th when my £700 was rejected by BB and refunded to my UK account by TW I have tried £300 , £10 twice as a test transfer . The tracker showed money waiting to be cleared / processed by BB . The whole process normally takes 2 minutes with a Messenger text confirmation which has now ceased to happen . I went to my branch of BB today and was a waste of time with them saying 2 - 5 days for international transfers and they did not understand or know the Transferwise system . Could go on and on but are other users of TW banking with BB having any problems . PS  had to use ATM , BB ATM said communication problem same as the 7-11 ATM but the SCB paid out . 

Did your previous TW transfers post OK (i.e., not rejected)?   When you say your "tried 300 and 10 pounds before I don't know if that means those were not successful or were successful. Probably successful since you got a message indicating such "if that message was from Bangkok Bank vs TW?   If they were not successful maybe it's a name mismatch between your TW acct and your Bangkok Bank acct although you should be able to send to a completely different name but sometimes Thai banks get picky on name match.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, BritManToo said:

I have to balance the risk of 'gf stealing it' Vs 'atm not working'.

I think I have the balance about right.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the trustworthy, educated, age appropriate, hi-so woman from a wealthy respectable family in their bed, that so many TV posters have managed to find.

If my bank was robbing me I'd change , same for partner,Old Mahren proverb easy to bed may lose pillow

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

If my bank was robbing me I'd change , same for partner,Old Mahren proverb easy to bed may lose pillow

I prefer one that's pretty and predictable.

It's a mistake to fall into the 'my woman would never do that' trap, because statistically 50% of them end up doing that.

........ and pillows aren't expensive to replace (as long as you didn't leave your wallet under it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Did your previous TW transfers post OK (i.e., not rejected)?   When you say your "tried 300 and 10 pounds before I don't know if that means those were not successful or were successful. Probably successful since you got a message indicating such "if that message was from Bangkok Bank vs TW?   If they were not successful maybe it's a name mismatch between your TW acct and your Bangkok Bank acct although you should be able to send to a completely different name but sometimes Thai banks get picky on name match.

Thanks for your interest Pib . 

Since the 25th when my £700 was rejected by BB and refunded to my UK account by TW I have tried £300 , £10 twice as a test transfer . The tracker showed money waiting to be cleared / processed by BB . The whole process normally takes 2 minutes with a Messenger text confirmation which has now ceased to happen .

I should have made it clearer but all those £300 , £10 £10 sat stagnant not being processed so I cancelled them . The name mismatch was also suggested by TW at the £700 failure but nothing had been changed and the details remain the same as for the past 3 years or so . TW have been very helpful , always available to  solve this problem which I think  is with the BB end that all began on the 25th when their systems took a turn for the worse . 

2 hours ago, superal said:

Since the 25th when my £700 was rejected by BB and refunded to my UK account by TW I have tried £300 , £10 twice as a test transfer . The tracker showed money waiting to be cleared / processed by BB . The whole process normally takes 2 minutes with a Messenger text confirmation which has now ceased to happen .

I should have made it clearer but all those £300 , £10 £10 sat stagnant not being processed so I cancelled them . The name mismatch was also suggested by TW at the £700 failure but nothing had been changed and the details remain the same as for the past 3 years or so . TW have been very helpful , always available to  solve this problem which I think  is with the BB end that all began on the 25th when their systems took a turn for the worse . 

Based on TW explanation of various statuses a transfer goes through (see below TW weblink) I think that after your first transfer was rejected by Bkk Bk (if it really was Bkk Bk doing the rejection), then the other three transfers (i.e., 300, 10, & 10 pounds) never got sent by TW....was stuck on the TW end....although the TW statuses might imply otherwise. 

https://transferwise.com/help/22/cancellation-and-refunds/2971625/can-i-cancel-my-transfer

I would take some of the TW transfer status messages with a big grain of salt...they can imply there is no problem on the TW end with the transfer and the problem is somewhere else like at the receiving or funding bank when in fact the problem is at TW.  

I remember my first TW transfer....it just got stuck....was going anywhere...kept saying TW was waiting to pull money from my bank acct to fund the transfer.  Statuses all implied the problem was not at TW but elsewhere.    After 4 days I did an online chat with TW asking what's the problem.  TW couldn't find any problem....it all looked good to them; however, the transfer just seemed stuck.  They recommended I cancel that transfer and initiate it again. I did that...initiated the transfer exactly as the first...and then that transfer went OK...funds arrived a day or two later.  

And something in my gut is telling me that BKk Bk was not the one to reject your first transfer although TW status updates might imply that.   And I haven't seen any other TV post so far complaining about TW transfers to Bkk Bk over the last several days being rejected....maybe there are some and I just haven't seen them. 

Guess you need to talk to Bkk Bk to see if they actually received/rejected the transfer.  You may find out no money arrived their inbox so to speak...and the money never arrived because it never really left TW.  Regardless, hope you get the issue resolved soon.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

Based on TW explanation of various statuses a transfer goes through (see below TW weblink) I think that after your first transfer was rejected by Bkk Bk (if it really was Bkk Bk doing the rejection), then the other three transfers (i.e., 300, 10, & 10 pounds) never got sent by TW....was stuck on the TW end....although the TW statuses might imply otherwise. 

https://transferwise.com/help/22/cancellation-and-refunds/2971625/can-i-cancel-my-transfer

I would take some of the TW transfer status messages with a big grain of salt...they can imply there is no problem on the TW end with the transfer and the problem is somewhere else like at the receiving or funding bank when in fact the problem is at TW.  

I remember my first TW transfer....it just got stuck....was going anywhere...kept saying TW was waiting to pull money from my bank acct to fund the transfer.  Statuses all implied the problem was not at TW but elsewhere.    After 4 days I did an online chat with TW asking what's the problem.  TW couldn't find any problem....it all looked good to them; however, the transfer just seemed stuck.  They recommended I cancel that transfer and initiate it again. I did that...initiated the transfer exactly as the first...and then that transfer went OK...funds arrived a day or two later.  

And something in my gut is telling me that BKk Bk was not the one to reject your first transfer although TW status updates might imply that.   And I haven't seen any other TV post so far complaining about TW transfers to Bkk Bk over the last several days being rejected....maybe there are some and I just haven't seen them. 

Guess you need to talk to Bkk Bk to see if they actually received/rejected the transfer.  You may find out no money arrived their inbox so to speak...and the money never arrived because it never really left TW.  Regardless, hope you get the issue resolved soon.

I don't think that it would be unreasonable to assume that Bangkok banks are experiencing some System difficulties involving both ATM transactions and interbank transfers 

The important question is - when will it be resolved 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, smedly said:

I don't think that it would be unreasonable to assume that Bangkok banks are experiencing some System difficulties involving both ATM transactions and interbank transfers 

The important question is - when will it be resolved 

I think the Bkk Bk problem with ATMs, mbanking which started occurring early 25 March were resolved late 25 March/Wed.  I know my Bkk Bk mbanking started working again a few minutes at 3pm on 25 March. And for those folks who withdrew money from an ATM on the 25th but the ATM didn't spit out any money but still debiting their bank acct probably got they accts credited the following day/26 Mar/Thursday.   Seems to have got quiet since the 25/26th in terms of complaints.

Also, where some folks mentioned big queues outside Govt Savings Bank and KrungThai Bank on 25 March that was because that was the first day the govt started accepting applications for Bt5,000 assistance funds for certain unemployed Thais.  No problems with money; just people applying for the govt money at these govt banks.

Also, although not affecting the bank systems, but bogging down the internet was on the 25th is when the PEA and MEA electric authorities started offering refunds for electricity acct deposits....I was one of the people (along with millions of others) bogging down the Thai internet...I did get lucky in making a connection to MEA....was approved for a Bt4,000 refund.

The 25th was just a bad day...super busy day for some banks.

53 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks again for your thoughts , however I suspect the BB to be the problem . When I went to my branch to explain the dilemma I got nowhere speaking to an English speaking bank officer . The last £10 test I sent Thursday remains in limbo waiting for BB to process .

There has been a suggestion from TW that my account personal name with them is not exactly the same as the BB account name ( BB acc missing my middle names ) , however that has not caused any problems over the last 3 years . I will keep you posted on the outcome , thanks again for your opinions . 

4 hours ago, superal said:

If you want to know where the problem is then make a test transfer to an account with another bank

Your TW account name not the same as the BB account has nothing to do with it, because your TW account is not linked to the BB account, but to your account abroad.

You only have to make sure that the recipient name is exactly as it appears on your BB account.

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

Thanks again for your thoughts , however I suspect the BB to be the problem . When I went to my branch to explain the dilemma I got nowhere speaking to an English speaking bank officer . The last £10 test I sent Thursday remains in limbo waiting for BB to process .

There has been a suggestion from TW that my account personal name with them is not exactly the same as the BB account name ( BB acc missing my middle names ) , however that has not caused any problems over the last 3 years . I will keep you posted on the outcome , thanks again for your opinions . 

from what I have read there were 2x main issues 

- ATM not functioning correctly which seems to have been rectified 

- Transfers and payments - Transferwise needs this functionality to operate correctly, when you send money to Thailand it arrives at a particular account with BB - from there is transferred to your personal bank account - this is my understanding of how it works but either way it involves transfers of some kind which was flagged as a problem in this thread - I don't think it was specific to TW but rather transfers in general either within BB or from/to 3rd parties, no word yet if this has been resolved, I made a payment two days ago to PEA and although the money was taken from my account PEA are still showing it as an outstanding balance - so it seems they didn't receive the payment. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, smedly said:

from what I have read there were 2x main issues 

- ATM not functioning correctly which seems to have been rectified 

- Transfers and payments - Transferwise needs this functionality to operate correctly, when you send money to Thailand it arrives at a particular account with BB - from there is transferred to your personal bank account - this is my understanding of how it works but either way it involves transfers of some kind which was flagged as a problem in this thread - I don't think it was specific to TW but rather transfers in general either within BB or from/to 3rd parties, no word yet if this has been resolved, I made a payment two days ago to PEA and although the money was taken from my account PEA are still showing it as an outstanding balance - so it seems they didn't receive the payment. 

To Smedly & Pib thanks ,

The £10 test through TW was credited to my BB today , however there was no Messenger confirmation by text only the TW tracker showing " your transfer complete " .  The BB ATM also showed the payment .      Then I tried to withdraw money from my UK Barclay account from the same BB ATM and once again I got the same message as yesterday " Connection Error " , Went to the SCB for the 2nd day running and the ATM paid me . There appears there are still problems with the BB , from my experience .

BTW yesterday a manic scene at the Krung Thai Bank where customers were sardined together trying to get into the bank with 1 bank worker to control the crowd . No chance so he had no choice but to pull down the shutters with the bank jam packed inside . No corona virus social distancing rules observed here , unbelievable behaviour .

33 minutes ago, superal said:

BTW yesterday a manic scene at the Krung Thai Bank where customers were sardined together trying to get into the bank with 1 bank worker to control the crowd . No chance so he had no choice but to pull down the shutters with the bank jam packed inside . No corona virus social distancing rules observed here , unbelievable behaviour .

That would have been some Thais trying to sign up for the Bt5,000 payments for 3 months....many thought you could "only" signup at a govt bank such as KrungThai Bank, Govt Savings Bank, etc....a person would have to have a bank acct at one of those state banks in order to receive the assistance.  But in fact, a person only needs a bank acct at "any" Thai bank. 

In a Bangkok Post article today apparently all Thai bank branches are closed today/Sat and tomorrow/Sun mainly due to help in the CoronaVirus problem (i.e., not creating close groups/crowds) and Thais wanting to signup for the assistance which is definitely creating crowds at some banks.  Will reopen Monday. 

Apparently this afternoon at 1800 this govt weblink will start allowing signup:  https://www.xn--12cl1ck0bl6hdu9iyb9bp.com/

I bet above website will crash with millions trying to register.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

That would have been some Thais trying to sign up for the Bt5,000 payments for 3 months....many thought you could "only" signup at a govt bank such as KrungThai Bank, Govt Savings Bank, etc....a person would have to have a bank acct at one of those state banks in order to receive the assistance.  But in fact, a person only needs a bank acct at "any" Thai bank. 

In a Bangkok Post article today apparently all Thai bank branches are closed today/Sat and tomorrow/Sun mainly due to help in the CoronaVirus problem (i.e., not creating close groups/crowds) and Thais wanting to signup for the assistance which is definitely creating crowds at some banks.  Will reopen Monday. 

Apparently this afternoon at 1800 this govt weblink will start allowing signup:  https://www.xn--12cl1ck0bl6hdu9iyb9bp.com/

I bet above website will crash with millions trying to register.

yeap...checking above weblink for Thais to apply for Bt5K for 3 months starting at 6pm is unreachable as of 7:25pm.....surely overloaded....too many people trying to access it. 

image.png.ecabebec6ea183044d6c3a3c0f254b59.png

20 hours ago, Pib said:

I think the Bkk Bk problem with ATMs, mbanking which started occurring early 25 March were resolved late 25 March/Wed.  I know my Bkk Bk mbanking started working again a few minutes at 3pm on 25 March. And for those folks who withdrew money from an ATM on the 25th but the ATM didn't spit out any money but still debiting their bank acct probably got they accts credited the following day/26 Mar/Thursday.   Seems to have got quiet since the 25/26th in terms of complaints.

Also, where some folks mentioned big queues outside Govt Savings Bank and KrungThai Bank on 25 March that was because that was the first day the govt started accepting applications for Bt5,000 assistance funds for certain unemployed Thais.  No problems with money; just people applying for the govt money at these govt banks.

Also, although not affecting the bank systems, but bogging down the internet was on the 25th is when the PEA and MEA electric authorities started offering refunds for electricity acct deposits....I was one of the people (along with millions of others) bogging down the Thai internet...I did get lucky in making a connection to MEA....was approved for a Bt4,000 refund.

The 25th was just a bad day...super busy day for some banks.

My wife has still not had her account credited. When she checked with the bank branch on March 26 they told her it would be corrected by 7:00 pm. It was not, so she called them on March 27 and they told her that there had been another "connection error", and that her account would be corrected by 7:00 pm. That didn't happen, and of course they closed down on 28th. Just checked, and it is still not corrected.

Edited by FredLee

2 hours ago, FredLee said:

My wife has still not had her account credited. When she checked with the bank branch on March 26 they told her it would be corrected by 7:00 pm. It was not, so she called them on March 27 and they told her that there had been another "connection error", and that her account would be corrected by 7:00 pm. That didn't happen, and of course they closed down on 28th. Just checked, and it is still not corrected.

That 7pm time is what was quoted to me a couple years ago when a transfer from my Bangkok Bank acct to Krungsri Bank acct failed but Bangkok Bank still debited the money from my acct.  Called them...they said the would research/fix by 7pm next business day....fortunately, they did get it corrected around 5pm the next day by crediting my acct for the failed transfer.  I then attempted the transfer again and it was successful....money instantly arrived Krungsri Bank.

I just got the "Communication Error" others reported last week, at two different Bangkok Bank ATMs in Central Bangkok. Apparently it was resolved last week (I did some withdrawals myself) and now made a reappearance unless it's a new and unrelated issue.

No big deal for me, as I had stocked up, I'm just curious what's going on. Anyone else has any issues today?

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I just got the "Communication Error" others reported last week, at two different Bangkok Bank ATMs in Central Bangkok. Apparently it was resolved last week (I did some withdrawals myself) and now made a reappearance unless it's a new and unrelated issue.

No big deal for me, as I had stocked up, I'm just curious what's going on. Anyone else has any issues today?

Bangkok Bank ATMs are all down.  They told me it might be for 2 hours. Today is the 31st so everyone is trying to transfer money!

• Thanks 1

Over the last year I can remember numerous times my Bangkok Bank mbanking was acting up....acting overloaded....try back again later.  But my Krungsri Bank mbanking has been up 100%...can't remember one time it giving me any problems.    My gut tells me that Bangkok Bank's system needs a hardware/capacity upgrade.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Bangkok Bank ATMs are all down.  They told me it might be for 2 hours. Today is the 31st so everyone is trying to transfer money!

I just got back from Bangkok Bank.  One branch said all BB ATMs are down and they don't know for how long.  The next branch (in the same mall!) had a working ATM which I successfully used!

My wife finally got credited for the 5,000 baht she never received from the atm on 25 March. She went to the branch again yesterday to find out what the problem was. The staff there called someone they said was from their main bank, and my wife spoke to the gentleman on the phone for around 15 minutes. The gist of the conversation was that he said all accounts that had problems had been credited within 24 hours. She told them that that was a mistake, since she had not received her money, so he needed to check again. This was about 10 am, and her bank account was credited at 5:11 pm. In the meantime she had withdrawn most of her money from her BBK account and deposited in her Thaiphanit account.

• Like 1