Can I avoid unwillingly spreading Corona by acquiring immunity?

yuyiinthesky

The last thing I want to do is by unknowingly getting infected with Corona virus to spread it to others, especially loved ones or elderly or sick people around me.

Now, if I would get infected, after some time I would be through with it and would have acquired some kind of immunity, right? Being not too old, healthy and fit I assume I would have no or little symptoms.

What I'm wondering is if then I would not be at risk of spreading the Corona virus to others anymore? Possibly could even help and take care of others being infected and having complications? Possibly without needing very much protection for myself anymore, besides the washing of hand and face to avoid passing on any virus I might have picked up while being near infected ones?

If that would be the case, would it then not be a real possibility to get a controlled infection, and very strictly isolate myself (I could do so for many weeks, if needed) until I'm through it. And after that, having acquired some level of immunity, at least for the currently spreading Corona virus, being of no danger anymore to unknowingly and unwillingly spread the virus?

Of course I know that despite being healthy I might get complications, but that aside, does it work as I'm speculating above?

Seriously, please give some constructive answers.

So far it has been seen that 80% of those who actually get WuFlu have no or very mild symptoms and most of the rest have medium severe flulike symptoms. The overwhelming evidence is that it is the very old with pre-existing health conditions who are most vulnerable and have died.

I don't know if those who have come through after being infected are still contagious, but it makes sense to keep yourself away from old and sick people.

• Like 1

Great question.

I wonder the same too.. Once had-it-and-recovered are you at risk of still spreading it via touching something contiminated and then carry it to a new surface to infect someone else? Or is that a 1 hop only thing? 

Both UK PM Boris Johnson and New York governor Cuomo have spoken enthusiastically about the development of a blood ANTIBODY test for this virus. Having the antibodies by basic definition means that you have some immunity to the current form of this virus. How strong such immunity is and how long it lasts is as yet not known. When we get a vaccine it might be either permanent or need annual revisions. Also of course the concept of herd immunity is based on a huge percentage of the public being infected. Herd immunity, flattening the curve, and developing a vaccine can happen concurrently. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8147809/Cuomo-wants-begin-antibody-blood-tests-coronavirus-New-York.html

Governor Cuomo wants to begin antibody blood tests for coronavirus in New York to determine which health care and private sector staff are now immune and can return to work

New York is 'pursuing' testing residents' blood for coronavirus antibodies, which indicate that they have had, recovered from and become immune to the virus, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Tuesday.   

Researchers at Mt Sinai's Icahn School of Medicine announced Monday that they had developed the first so-called serologic test for COVID-19 in the US, and plan to roll it out in the next few days in its clinics. 

Serologic testing will likely confirm what experts suspect: that thousands more people than have tested positive for coronavirus have actually contracted and cleared the infection.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Also, don't forget that a considerable proportion of common colds are caused by coronaviruses and you don't get immunity from the common cold by having had it.

The common cold is caused by many more or less different viruses, so I assume that immunity against one does not protect you from another one.

There seem to be at least 2 different Covid 19 causing Corona variations (S and L), so there again is the question if having had one could (at least temporarily) protect from the other, or not at all.

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 1

Wear a mask when out. I dont give a hoot what anyone says, at the very least if you sneeze MORE  of it gets trapped than goes out into the atmosphere! I am glad to see most Thai's wearing them now...though it hasnt been uncommon even before all this. Aussies on the other hand....."hey mate....what the f...you wearin that for"? Its just part of the scenery here. Over there it can make you a target of JOHNNY BOGAN!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It has not been definitively established yet, that having had the virus and recovered, makes you immune.

There have been multiple reports of people recovering and then getting it again.

Can you get infected by coronavirus twice?

Also, don't forget that a considerable proportion of common colds are caused by coronaviruses and you don't get immunity from the common cold by having had it.

Was listening to a good program this morning on BBC World service, one of their experts said it was far more likely the virus had not left the body completely as opposed to catching it twice in a short time span.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

There seem to be at least 2 different Covid 19 causing Corona variations, so there again is the question if having had one could (at least temporarily) protect from the other, or not at all.

Technically yes, there are two different strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, known as the 'L' and 'S' strains but according to epidemiologists they're virtually identical.

The differences between the two identified strains are tiny. In fact, they can’t really be considered to be separate “strains”, says Jones. And many of the genetic differences won’t affect the production of proteins, and so won’t change the way the virus works, or the symptoms it causes, he says.

One is not more deadly than the other. “In all practical terms, the virus is as it was when it originally emerged"...

Coronavirus strains

Well, not sure that I would be eager to roll those dice myself.  That said, they are desperately looking, in the USA, for people who have been infected and recovered.  The thought is that they would separate out the antibodies in the blood of infected/recovered people and give it to people not yet infected.  First clinical study for this approach starts in two weeks.  It is believed that this MAY provide up to six months immunity.  After that the virus will have mutated and will be immune to the antibodies developed from the first virus 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Both UK PM Boris Johnson and New York governor Cuomo have spoken enthusiastically about the development of a blood ANTIBODY test for this virus. Having the antibodies by basic definition means that you have some immunity to the current form of this virus. How strong such immunity is and how long it lasts is as yet not known. When we get a vaccine it might be either permanent or need annual revisions. Also of course the concept of herd immunity is based on a huge percentage of the public being infected. Herd immunity, flattening the curve, and developing a vaccine can happen concurrently. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8147809/Cuomo-wants-begin-antibody-blood-tests-coronavirus-New-York.html

Governor Cuomo wants to begin antibody blood tests for coronavirus in New York to determine which health care and private sector staff are now immune and can return to work

New York is 'pursuing' testing residents' blood for coronavirus antibodies, which indicate that they have had, recovered from and become immune to the virus, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Tuesday.   

Researchers at Mt Sinai's Icahn School of Medicine announced Monday that they had developed the first so-called serologic test for COVID-19 in the US, and plan to roll it out in the next few days in its clinics. 

Serologic testing will likely confirm what experts suspect: that thousands more people than have tested positive for coronavirus have actually contracted and cleared the infection.

A subsequent antibody titre does not imply immunity. This is an immunological response to the virus but not necessarily an antibody response that is associated with destruction and protection against the virus. That would need to be proved by an extensive survey and analysis and also would need to be replicated. There is also a possibility that an antibody level provides some but not total protection against the virus. It is a most important area of research and well worth the time it will need to investigate.

It suggests some immunity. As I said before how strong and for how long is not known yet. Just tonight I heard a source on the media saying the antibody blood test (not yet available) to identify people that have ALREADY had the virus will be a GAME CHANGER. 

In cats there is feline corona virus infection which makes a virus infection and after subsequent infections ends with a lethal disease called FIP.

Well it is a Corona Virus and antibodies are not protective but can modify the immune response in subsequent infections until the immune response goes the wrong way...because the immune system does not anymore identify the mutated virus. The mutation occurse inside the host.

A logical path to control is by having the ability to test the entire population regularly (daily or every second day) and instantly to see who currently has it as well as a test to see who has had it assuming there is some immunity. 

Once you have the data you can map out how to deal with each group which will get the R0 (basic reproduction number) which is currently 2.5 to below 1 which leads to theoretical control of the disease. 

You would think the ability to test so many people would be about 2 to 3 months away. Germany and South Korea are not theoretically too far away from this now and with the amount of economic carnage being down unlimited resources will be thrown at the problem.

NB: R0 number is currently at around 2.5 or each infected person in turn infects 2.5 people on average. If the number drops below 1 then the number of infections drop over time to theoretically zero. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

which makes me ask why they are  keeping so  many in hospital

Hmmm, could it be (speculating here), to keep the masses in fear/panic, stay at home for 14 days will world economies take a beating, (the elite) making a killing, I mean, wouldn't it be logical to send those 80% with mild symptoms home for 14 days, while putting all resources into taking care of the infected older ones and those with pre-existing conditions ?

Me thinks (call me paranoid), that there is a hidden agenda here, I mean think about it, up to 600,000 people die every year from Influenza worldwide and we haven't shut the world down before, I mean what defines a pandemic, a Coronavirus that spread easier than the flu that kills the elderly, no disrespect to the elderly, my mum include who is 85 and in a nursing home, I think we could allow this Coronavirus to take its normal course until a vaccine is made, as opposed to shutting down the world economy for (the elite), this appears to be some kind of game where they control the masses.

Don't get me wrong, if this was like Ebola, sure as hell, shut the world down, but it's another strain of the flu, it attacks the lungs of the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, but it doesn't warrant shutting down the world IMHO, yes I am complying, after all, we have to do as we are told, but just thinking outside the square and am not convinced that the right course of action has been taken, I think a lot of governments have been set up via the WHO who are someones puppets, just my view on things.

Stay safe now ????

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hmmm, could it be (speculating here), to keep the masses in fear/panic, stay at home for 14 days will world economies take a beating, (the elite) making a killing, I mean, wouldn't it be logical to send those 80% with mild symptoms home for 14 days, while putting all resources into taking care of the infected older ones and those with pre-existing conditions ?

Me thinks (call me paranoid), that there is a hidden agenda here, I mean think about it, up to 600,000 people die every year from Influenza worldwide and we haven't shut the world down before, I mean what defines a pandemic, a Coronavirus that spread easier than the flu that kills the elderly, no disrespect to the elderly, my mum include who is 85 and in a nursing home, I think we could allow this Coronavirus to take its normal course until a vaccine is made, as opposed to shutting down the world economy for (the elite), this appears to be some kind of game where they control the masses.

Don't get me wrong, if this was like Ebola, sure as hell, shut the world down, but it's another strain of the flu, it attacks the lungs of the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, but it doesn't warrant shutting down the world IMHO, yes I am complying, after all, we have to do as we are told, but just thinking outside the square and am not convinced that the right course of action has been taken, I think a lot of governments have been set up via the WHO who are someones puppets, just my view on things.

Stay safe now ????

It is not a flu.

It is a corona virus.

It spreads much more easily than seasonal flu.

It has a much higher mortality rate than seasonal flu. 

So yes people do accept a certain annual death rate from seasonal flu.

But if this spreads unchecked the death statistics will be shocking.

Really sorry you feel that way about your Mother.

13 minutes ago, G950 said:

A logical path to control is by having the ability to test the entire population regularly (daily or every second day) and instantly to see who currently has it as well as a test to see who has had it assuming there is some immunity. 

Once you have the data you can map out how to deal with each group which will get the R0 (basic reproduction number) which is currently 2.5 to below 1 which leads to theoretical control of the disease. 

You would think the ability to test so many people would be about 2 to 3 months away. Germany and South Korea are not theoretically too far away from this now and with the amount of economic carnage being down unlimited resources will be thrown at the problem.

NB: R0 number is currently at around 2.5 or each infected person in turn infects 2.5 people on average. If the number drops below 1 then the number of infections drop over time to theoretically zero. 

Testing massively that often is obviously impossible but I have heard the theory that everyone should be tested and then we would really know where we stand and decisions could be made accordingly. Obviously you would need follow up testing to some degree. Nobody is realistically looking for perfection or no deaths. Just to get this under reasonable control until a vaccine is developed. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Really sorry you feel that way about your Mother.

85 is a good innings, 90% blind, totally deaf, nothing to feel sorry about, she could pop her clogs tomorrow, should she live to be 100, good on the old girl, kudo's to her, but let's be realistic here shall we and accept things for what they are, life and death, nothing to fear, your born and you die, we only have numbers to try to achieve, and it's all a roll of the dice, we have no control over anything.

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

85 is a good innings, 90% blind, totally deaf, nothing to feel sorry about, she could pop her clogs tomorrow, should she live to be 100, good on the old girl, kudo's to her, but let's be realistic here shall we and accept things for what they are, life and death, nothing to fear, your born and you die, we only have numbers to try to achieve, and it's all a roll of the dice, we have no control over anything.

Struck a nerve huh. The best thing you can do for now is to stay away from her. 

Emergency Room doctors in London have warned they are treating people in their 20s and 30s who are seriously ill with COVID. Immunity is not clear yet but likely.  However, the common cold is also a corona virus and provides only limited immunity. But if you want to give it a try, go to a boxing match.

Look up the Italian town of Vo that successfully defeated the virus. They isolated the town of about 3000 and tested everyone. They were surprised that nearly 3% tested positive. The positives were treated at home. After 14 days they tested again and found only a minute percentage have the virus.

Viruses mutate faster than other diseases/illnesses (hence why the seasonal flu requires new shots every year), so the antibodies you develop for the strain you contracted and recovered from wont really make a difference if you become infected with a mutated strain.

If the reports are to believed, you could get "the" coronavirus more than once until the pandemic is resolved.

• Like 1

The question on many people's minds discussed here. 

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/can-you-catch-coronavirus-twice

CAN YOU CATCH CORONAVIRUS TWICE? MICROBIOLOGIST SHEDS LIGHT ON IMMUNITY QUESTION

As the global number of COVID-19 cases soars, there are a few thousand reasons to be hopeful: As of Monday, March 23, over 100,000 people across the globe have recovered from the novel coronavirus.

We know some people can successfully clear the infection, while others have a harder time.

But if you beat the virus, what happens when you encounter it a second time?