Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

webfact

This is bad!! If all Provinces go their own way in making regulations there will be nothing else but total confusion for one and all. Time for Central Government to step in to implement the emergency powers and take control of all Provinces so Thailand presents a unified response to eradicating this virus!

to break up the bickering on here.......i had a long walk around central Pattaya today, i noticed some massage shops have thrown in the towel and all massage equipment gone. i went down walking st, no signs up at all and no signs of closures and removing stuff. The best thing that could of happened is the landlords all agreed to a rent postponement or cancellation for several months, then walking st could start up quickly, good for landlords and gogo tenants

23 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Depending on your age, if you were to get the virus, I'm sure you would change your mind. 

I survived Sonny Black and Murder INC. back in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, in the late 70s and 80s.. I like my odds! This is a cake walk in comparison!

2 minutes ago, Georgie65 said:

I survived Sonny Black and Murder INC. back in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, in the late 70s and 80s.. I like my odds! This is a cake walk in comparison!

You can see people coming.  You can't see a virus. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Here's  a tip for you.  They are going to close anyway.  Government order, or no government order, but you keep an eye out for the government order.  ????

Stick to Soi 6 bars, all hotels will not close ,for example the one I,m living in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Good post.  Believe me, I hear you.

Ok, so the travel insurance is a future issue, but in my opinion, it will be in issue for Thailand in the future.  I think it is on topic, but I agree, it's for the future. 

Vietnam didn't mess about.  They will be through this a lot quicker than many countries, and way quicker than Thailand. Their tourism industry increased 28.9% in one year.  There might just be a changing of the guard when all this is finished. 

At the moment, and I repeat, at the moment, there are not make shift hospitals and morgues being built and dead everywhere.  However, as you said, that "might" happen.  A lot of tourists that may have Corona have left Thailand.  They are now back in their home country, either healthy, sick, or dead.  They will not appear on Thailand's statistics. 

The recent shut downs saw thousands of predominately younger Thai's, working in tourism, and hospitality, and also the sex trade, return home to mama, papa, and grand mama,and grand papa.  In my opinion, a crazy move, but also a smart move.  They can control what information comes out of Issan more easily, plus, it will create the illusion that Pattaya did not have the virus so bad.

So, I think you will see a rising death toll in Issan shortly, and that will make global news.   

well so far no sign of anyone coming back to our village or the villages either side of us with the virus, but still a few on lock down, like me So giving the amount of people returning, from many different towns and cities, plus places like Korea, i dont see any evidence of mass infections or deaths so far.

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Stick to Soi 6 bars, all hotels will not close ,for example the one I,m living in. 

You seem confident about that.  What's their current occupancy rate?  Do you think they will stay open just for you?   

23 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You can see people coming.  You can't see a virus. 

My brother is a doctor back in the states, he's been giving me all the medical advice I will ever need! No worries!!!

• Confused 1

Look, is Pattaya included in this, that, Darkside, Naklua, Supermarkets.

What are you all whinging at.

Here is the definitive borderline of Pattaya, listen and learn as follows:

Pattaya starts at the top of Soi 6 on 2nd Rd and it ends at Soi 6 on Beach Rd!

Geez some people!

11 hours ago, jimn said:

Such an overreaction with only 61 cases and thats in the whole of ChonBuri not just Pattaya. Dont forget thats from the start of the problem. Without looking it up there will be some of those 61 who are now recovered.  Wonder where they will put the roadblocks. At each entrance on to the Sukumvidt I presume. Absolute nonsence.

Start by blocking the dozens of flights from abroad. 

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

well so far no sign of anyone coming back to our village or the villages either side of us with the virus, but still a few on lock down, like me So giving the amount of people returning, from many different towns and cities, plus places like Korea, i dont see any evidence of mass infections or deaths so far.

How would you see it, if it's suppressed?  There will have to be a whistle blower, like the deceased Chinese doctor. 

With all of the Chinese and European tourists that were still coming in, whilst this was unfolding, do you really think there are so few cases in Thailand?

Should one be dubbed a conspiracy theorist to suggest otherwise?  Thailand is not exactly noted for its transparency. 

TAT boasted about tourist numbers.  Well, look at those numbers now.

I don't know what village you are living in, but I don't think all those in Pattaya working in tourism, hospitality, and the sex trade, have just coupled up with a farang customer, virtually overnight.  I know many from Pattaya that left for Issan, and a few that missed the last buses.  They are in their respective villages in Issan now, with, or without Corona.

Time will tell, and history will judge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Georgie65 said:

My brother is a doctor back in the states, he's been giving me all the medical advice I will ever need! No worries!!!

Do share.

I don't think, "take plenty of Vitamin C" is going to cut it this time. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

Walter
here are the charts, a simple search in Google found them
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-covid-19-tests-per-capita-chart-us-behind-2020-3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing#Testing_statistics_by_country
for walter,
to be honest most statistics on this are unreliable. 
In the UK all respitarory  illnesses are classified as Covid-19. 
In the USA John Hopkins university has severly criticised Government figures,
in Germany their statisticians have also criticised their figures. Few actually follow WHO
guidelines for classification, hence China's massive increase some time back when they applied the new
rules.
As for Thailand  it only tested 17829 people or 257 per million
only 14 countries in the chart tested fewer per million. Also this does not include in the count the
number of tourists. Thai medical news in article before China changed its figures
complained of that country under representing the figures precisley because they had not tested more people.
https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/reasons-for-china’s-unreliable-death-and-infected-statistics--finally-revealed-insufficient-test-kits,-also-cambodia-reports-first-case
As the Phuket news reports the government officials have been caught out lying  (albeit over one case).
One also only has to look at a recent post here where it was noted there were no cases in Pattaya. Yet it has since been discovered
that there was, they just had not been tested.  Two days ago we had another case of a Frenchman and his girlfirend testing positive.
With such low testing one cannot rely on the official figures.
People should look to statistics from other countries, the infection rates and mortality rates are consistent when one use the
mulBsta score. (https://www.mdcalc.com/mulbsta-score  for those interested in knowing what it is)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You seem confident about that.  What's their current occupancy rate?  Do you think they will stay open just for you?   

Your telling the story! What is your definition of a hotel for starters,the announcement mentions guest houses and similar or words to that effect.

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Your telling the story! What is your definition of a hotel for starters,the announcement mentions guest houses and similar or words to that effect.

Nah, you're telling the hotel story.  I'm in a condo. Please continue.  

4 hours ago, jimn said:

They are not meaningless they are the official figures. Which by the way have shown a fall 5 days in a row. Do you not want it to get better? Whats the matter with you? Stop looking for problems everywhere.

Well they do say ignorance is bliss , enjoy.

Leaver

The chinese Doctor Li Wenliang and the other 6 doctors strangely never mentioned were not whistleblowers. Firstly they were discussing in a private medical chat room, though he did release patient data (not actually his patient either as he was an opthamologist) and someone took a screenshot of their chat. However as the news had been told to the public and the hospitals and medical clinics already been notified i fail to see how he and his colleagues were whistleblowers. Neverthless you have a point about Thailand whereas in other countries  different medical staff and statisticians have blown the lid on their own government's incompetence and deceit over the figures this has yet to happen in Thailand . Instead they have been trumpeting about their own whilst denigrating other countries.

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

2 hours ago, zhorik said:

Leaver

The chinese Doctor Li Wenliang and the other 6 doctors strangely never mentioned were not whistleblowers. Firstly they were discussing in a private medical chat room, though he did release patient data (not actually his patient either as he was an opthamologist) and someone took a screenshot of their chat. However as the news had been told to the public and the hospitals and medical clinics already been notified i fail to see how he and his colleagues were whistleblowers. Neverthless you have a point about Thailand whereas in other countries  different medical staff and statisticians have blown the lid on their own government's incompetence and deceit over the figures this has yet to happen in Thailand . Instead they have been trumpeting about their own whilst denigrating other countries.

60 doctors have died in Italy. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-doctor-death-toll-gp-a9438896.html

Some of this hotel closure stuff seems to be to allow staff to be laid off and be able to claim unemployment benefits.  Makes sense as big hotels want to pass on the costs of 'unnecessary' staff due to occupancy rates back to the government.  I'm guessing/ hoping family owned and run hotels will be more likely to stay open than corporate hotels as they live in the hotel anyway etc.  My hotel is run by a guy at the desk and a lady that cleans the room who are related to the owner...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

As for businesses opening back up, if you give an inch, they will take a mile here.  I do have a question for you, what makes you think it would be profitable for many place to open with the restrictions you mentioned, and even let's say with zero restrictions, without any tourists, why would you think many places would bother to open at all?  It wouldn't be profitable.

Im not saying there wouldnt be issues but profit isnt the main crux of this idea. The main crux is that the wheels of industry would keep on turning instead of it being a ghost town, Thais who are earning zero would start back on an income. People who are living here or simply stuck here would have more respect for the authorities and appreciate the freedoms (to a certain extent) they were being afforded. Being treated like adults goes a long way with responsible people and my guess is there are now more responsible people here than 2 week millionaires looking to party hard for their duration. 
I dont doubt there will be a-holes who get drunk and act like kids but if they are spoiling it for others, kick them out and ban them until all is back to normal, however long that takes. If I was drunk and I was getting silly I would wake up the next day thinking why was I such a t!t? Then going out and seeing people enjoying themselves the night after when Im banned would ram it home even more that I should have behaved
I suspect the majority of people here now are of a certain age and would respect the requirements for being allowed to nip out for a few sherberts. Close the bars at 12 if need be? I dont have all the answers or allowances for idiots but like I said, I think it would work if they only allowed people from that area to drink in their own areas, like people in Jomtien stay in Jomtien and so on. I know it wont happen hahaha but hey, Im just thinking outside the box

21 minutes ago, DungeonMouse said:

Some of this hotel closure stuff seems to be to allow staff to be laid off and be able to claim unemployment benefits.  Makes sense as big hotels want to pass on the costs of 'unnecessary' staff due to occupancy rates back to the government.  I'm guessing/ hoping family owned and run hotels will be more likely to stay open than corporate hotels as they live in the hotel anyway etc.  My hotel is run by a guy at the desk and a lady that cleans the room who are related to the owner...

Sounds more like a guest house to me.

Maybe we need to clarify what members call a hotel, and what they call a guest house. 

Meanwhile, the Thai government will still be trying to work it out, despite hitting up guest house owners for hotel taxes.  ????

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

i have a friend from back home in pattaya, he has continued to take girls back to his hotel, absolutely crazy behavior by him and the girls. seems some people just dont care.

I just got back home after a 2 hour stroll around CP and was offered boom boom for 100 baht by 1 'lovely' lady. Obviously I declined and said to her I wont be risking my life for 30 seconds of fun for anyone!! ????

She wasnt the only 1 I had to decline

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

to break up the bickering on here.......i had a long walk around central Pattaya today, i noticed some massage shops have thrown in the towel and all massage equipment gone. i went down walking st, no signs up at all and no signs of closures and removing stuff. The best thing that could of happened is the landlords all agreed to a rent postponement or cancellation for several months, then walking st could start up quickly, good for landlords and gogo tenants

Walking Streets time is coming to an end apparently, next couple of years Ive heard but dont shoot the messenger ????

16 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Im not saying there wouldnt be issues but profit isnt the main crux of this idea. The main crux is that the wheels of industry would keep on turning instead of it being a ghost town, Thais who are earning zero would start back on an income.

If you owned a bar or restaurant here, would you use your own savings to open up and run at a loss, and if so, why?

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Do you believe the number? If it were just 61 and the virus really has not penetrated Thailand why the drastic plans? could it be the numbers are wrong? could it be that hardly any testing is being done? I suspect the virus is far more widespread, i suggest you behave as if it is and stay in..

I do believe the number actualy. Its on a level playing field with all other countries. There is now a downward trend, lets hope it continous, unless you dont want it too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mannytoba said:

Start by blocking the dozens of flights from abroad. 

Oh my goodness. Have you been in hibernation for the last week? The country is almost in total lockdown. The entry requirements are very strict. The ignorance from people like you amazes me.

• Haha 1

Pattaya won't be at all the same after this pandemic. Most restaurants and hotels were not doing that well even before this plus countless vendors. I'd hate to see Pattaya turned into some de facto Chinese owned polluting factory city.