Forum upgrade in progress! ×

The week that was in Thailand news: Missing April Fools - but then everyday seems like that in Thailand!

rooster59

Rooster do you not have a pool at your condo,or is it closed? At least then you could have a swim,but i guess they would have closed it. Mine is still open but i don't live in a condo,mind you it full of leaves and other assorted things after the massive storm we had last night,welcome though it was,entire back garden under water,this morning all gone.Looks like i will have to get the mower out next week,downside to everything. Good column by the way.

• Like 1

A great read as always Rooster. Thank you.

Knowing that your wife is from Loei, my neck of the woods, I thought you might be interested to hear what’s happening here. Yesterday there was a funeral in the village. When the old lady died, the phu yai ban put out a message on the tannoy as usual, but advised villagers that, as people would be attending from Bangkok, they would be advised not to attend either the wake or funeral. The funeral itself was somewhat subdued with probably less than 100 people following the coffin (I watched from the safety of my garden as the cortège passed my house). However, I recognised at least half the attendees as villagers and very few (including the monks) were wearing masks. 

Contrast this with neighbouring Nong Bua Lamphu, where one of my bicycle rides takes me through two villages sat in a corner of the province jutting into Loei. Two days ago I pulled up at one of my regular shops for a pit stop. I presented my bottle of Oishi to the lady proprietor who handed me a straw which she held in the middle (no delving in plastic bags previously delved in by many other hands), and placed a small cardboard box on the counter for my 15฿. Sat outside with my drink, watching the world go by, I noticed that everyone (ok I did see two miscreants) was wearing face masks - even those on motorbikes and bicycles. Obviously there had been a directive, whether from the village or higher up I don’t know. But, what a contrast with my village in Loei where life seems to carry on pretty much as normal. Crisis, what crisis?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaDavid said:

A great read as always Rooster. Thank you.

Knowing that your wife is from Loei, my neck of the woods, I thought you might be interested to hear what’s happening here. Yesterday there was a funeral in the village. When the old lady died, the phu yai ban put out a message on the tannoy as usual, but advised villagers that, as people would be attending from Bangkok, they would be advised not to attend either the wake or funeral. The funeral itself was somewhat subdued with probably less than 100 people following the coffin (I watched from the safety of my garden as the cortège passed my house). However, I recognised at least half the attendees as villagers and very few (including the monks) were wearing masks. 

Contrast this with neighbouring Nong Bua Lamphu, where one of my bicycle rides takes me through two villages sat in a corner of the province jutting into Loei. Two days ago I pulled up at one of my regular shops for a pit stop. I presented my bottle of Oishi to the lady proprietor who handed me a straw which she held in the middle (no delving in plastic bags previously delved in by many other hands), and placed a small cardboard box on the counter for my 15฿. Sat outside with my drink, watching the world go by, I noticed that everyone (ok I did see two miscreants) was wearing face masks - even those on motorbikes and bicycles. Obviously there had been a directive, whether from the village or higher up I don’t know. But, what a contrast with my village in Loei where life seems to carry on pretty much as normal. Crisis, what crisis?

Round my way much the same as your village. Noticeably more masks now though. The monks from our Temple aren't wearing masks on their morning round yet.

• Haha 1

Well done Rooster. Hard to write stories for these times. With regard to Roper hope he had some laws left. As I once hear the story of a Priest who was giving a dying man the last rites and said to him Now is the Time to Denounce the Devil my son. At which the dying man replied, FATHER, NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO ANTAGONISE HIM.

There's a lot of people out there who should learn when to bit their tongue 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 11:28 PM, rooster59 said:

There is much up to date and important news being posted in a very timely and helpful manner.

Would be great if we could read something other than threads about Covid. It's like every problem in the world just vanished.

There is a subforum just for Covid- can't all the Covid threads be posted there and some actual news be posted on the World news sub forum?

On 4/4/2020 at 5:28 PM, rooster59 said:

There he became a polyglot, yes he could speak five languages - Thai, English, Spanish, Mexican and Farang.

I don't know if it's rooster59 ...
It’s the first time I see that " farang " is a language  :w00t: