house visit

2 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Get your wife to go round Puy Yai Baans Office and kick up stink.

No way would my wife go and kick up stink.

We dont need the masks, my wife stocked up weeks ago, i do not use a mask, as i never go outside the gate.

The BIG problem here is, my wife is a school director, married to a super rich farang:cheesy:

Well that is what villages here believe, all farangs are super rich, plus my wife has a good job, good salary.

So in their minds we are not entitled to get anything, sad but true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

Some very interesting comments-first up HE did not appear in a uniform of any sort. Had on casual clothes and the cap.scarf. I was inside and my wife was outside when he arrived and the first I knew of it was when She came in and asked for my passport. I went out and was handed a form (in Thai) that a previous Falang had added his name and age. That was it for me-my wife did all the rest and I went back inside. HE left around 5 minutes later to see the German chap next door. Could have been Or Bor Tor or Tessabaan-not immigration. He could have also shown my wife ID when he arrived. She did not say so but I am used to getting only half the story because of "can not say English". Not many Falangs out here where we are-HE had only 3 on his books. If I had arced up about ID or not showing passport who knows where that would lead to-I have had a very enjoyable ten years here and intend to have another ten so I will not rock the boat unnecessarily.

"...on casual clothes and the cap.scarf. ''

Sometimes some of the various govt., officers do wear a cap (come members of the volunteer border patrols is 1 example) and in some cases they don't have a full uniform. The scarf is meant as a checking / authentication process, early every morning their commander will indicate what colour scarf is aligned to that specific day and If someone is wearing a different colour people who have contact with them are expected to assume something is wrong, it could be a scam / fake officer etc.

Edited by scorecard

This is now normal practice everywhere .. Everyone had to report new arrivals in our village. Just making things safe for everyone. Also any foreigners were checked by our local village helpers. Yes caps as well. Always a good idea to have your local pooyai beans number handy to so if in doubt call him.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

i hardly think they were harassing the OP.  They are IO's, it's their job to ensure expats comply with Thailands immigration laws.  If you want to be un-cooperative in not giving them any info or act like your a Philidelphia lawyer then that's fine, but why make life difficult as I'm sure word will get around at the IO and god help you when you try to extend or apply for any visa ....    What is about folks not assisting with IO's request .... if you've nothing to hide then what's the big deal  ??   imo

IO's DON"T wear blue caps & yellow scarves. They were civilians, BUT as long as they had proper identification to justify making the enquiry, AND spoke english, then I'd show them the information, otherwise no chance in hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

If any community volunteer came to my house wanting to handle my passport with their possibly infected fingers they will be disappointed.

Same here. I would also tell my wife to go inside and deal with them myself.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

Strange, if your wife is Thai why would they not stop and hand out masks.

Our village Headman's office people have been round and handed out, one plastic bowl, one bottle sanitiser, and two facemasks per person in each household. As head honcho farang in our house I even got two masks.

Get your wife to go round Puy Yai Baans Office and kick up stink.

Very strange. It may be because he has upset the locals before. I have one friend who doesn't integrate into the community and shouts at locals. He criticizes the way everything is done. Therefore, they hate him. Once when he was sick, he called me to ask if I could drive him to hospital as none of the villagers would. Very sad, spending your golden years surrounded by people who despise you and your attitudes.

The are consequences for everything. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 1

Give information but NEVER hand over your passport unless absolutely compelled to do so. If you mess with these people over trivialities it could bite you in the butt later.  Smile, be pleasant, put up with the non-sense. It is their country and you are a guest. Refusing to cooperate with the local 'poo-bah' might buy you more misery down the road. Be the nice smiling cooperative farang and not the <deleted> farang.

If you can't bear the situation, leave Thailand when you can. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I understand the language (im)perfectly, but speaking it to officials don't get me any brownie points, so i don't do it.

Same advice I give foreigners in the UK, always insist on an official translator when interacting with the police.

They ain't your friends, make their work as difficult as possible, next time they'll pick an easier mark.

1000% percent agree. Don't aid in your own interrogation!!

They will go away as soon as they've reached the limits of their English abilities and determined everything is in order.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

Village life lol.

Bangkok has none of these trivial hassles. Each one blown up could become a serious issue. Life in issarn. You can have it

I love Isarn, but would never live in a rural village. However, due to cost many can't live in the city with educated neighbours.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

i hardly think they were harassing the OP.  They are IO's, it's their job to ensure expats comply with Thailands immigration laws.  If you want to be un-cooperative in not giving them any info or act like your a Philidelphia lawyer then that's fine, but why make life difficult as I'm sure word will get around at the IO and god help you when you try to extend or apply for any visa ....    What is about folks not assisting with IO's request .... if you've nothing to hide then what's the big deal  ??   imo

Like one poster said, passports can go missing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Village life lol.

Bangkok has none of these trivial hassles. Each one blown up could become a serious issue. Life in issarn. You can have it

Sounds like you need a comfort zone, someone to turn too......????

Isaan isn't all village ya-no.........Have you ever been around Isaan...?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Have you ever been around Isaan...?

Actually I have but not in ages. I'd made a bunch of trips since mid 90s. In 2000 I went up to Luang Prabang for Songkran from Pattaya stopping in a bunch of places over three weeks. I rather like it in the cool season. Everyone is really friendly food is good. My in-laws from issan. But no way I'd want to navigate the pettiness of village life, the heat, the drought and is far too inland. If I wanted that life I'd move to Luang Prabang.

• Like 1

After reading the OP, my first thought was did you ask for any official ID before giving out your info? It is quite amazing how many foreigners give out personal info without check who the person is that is asking.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Have you ever been around Isaan...?

I went there once, lasted about 3 days then never went back.

Occasionally I have to travel through on a bus, wouldn't stop if I could help it though.

If I were a drunk, or stupid, or suffering from dementia I'd probably like it better.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Actually I have but not in ages. I'd made a bunch of trips since mid 90s. In 2000 I went up to Luang Prabang for Songkran from Pattaya stopping in a bunch of places over three weeks. I rather like it in the cool season. Everyone is really friendly food is good. My in-laws from issan. But no way I'd want to navigate the pettiness of village life, the heat, the drought and is far too inland. If I wanted that life I'd move to Luang Prabang.

There are large cities here! 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, lensta said:

After reading the OP, my first thought was did you ask for any official ID before giving out your info? It is quite amazing how many foreigners give out personal info without check who the person is that is asking.

Quite a lot of posters appear to be scared of Thai people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"...on casual clothes and the cap.scarf. ''

Sometimes some of the various govt., officers do wear a cap (come members of the volunteer border patrols is 1 example) and in some cases they don't have a full uniform. The scarf is meant as a checking / authentication process, early every morning their commander will indicate what colour scarf is aligned to that specific day and If someone is wearing a different colour people who have contact with them are expected to assume something is wrong, it could be a scam / fake officer etc.

The cap and scarf simply means that they have graduated from a volunteer training course.  Most, if not all, of the people who take that course are government employees of some sort - Military, teacher, local officials, etc.  So wearing the scarf and cap is probably a way of letting people know that they are some sort of government official and are working in some sort of official capacity.

• Like 2

Just now, otherstuff1957 said:

The cap and scarf simply means that they have graduated from a volunteer training course.  Most, if not all, of the people who take that course are government employees of some sort - Military, teacher, local officials, etc.  So wearing the scarf and cap is probably a way of letting people know that they are some sort of government official and are working in some sort of official capacity.

Exactly, they have risen a rung in the hierarchical social system, good for them.

Try to humiliate them and show your "supremacist" power, or forget your ego and treat them fellow human beings.

2 minutes ago, lensta said:

No, I would do the same if it was a foreigner, maybe even more so.

Me too, but there aren't any foreigners where I live (and I never give out my address).

I treat everyone equally (avoid and ignore).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I can tell you that Isaan has changed a huge amount since you were here, I have seen the transition personally......????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1