BCG inoculation

Maybole

The search function returns nil entries, if there is an existing thread please attach this to it.

A Question for the Medical Experts.

I received a BCG Tuberculosis inoculation in my teens 50+ years ago and about 8 years ago was also inoculated against Pneumonia.

I read that BCG affords some protection against Covid-19, how true is that and will it still be effective ?

Also deaths from Covid-19 seem to occur after the onset of Pneumonia. Will my inoculation help to protect me ?  

I listened to this very subject on the radio last week. At present there are labs in the UK & Ireland working together to check to see if indeed the BCG can provide an answer cos there is evidence that it might? 

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is a strong statistical correllation

But one based upon poor analysis, at least according to Prof Madhukar Pai, MD, PhD, Canada Research Chair in Translational Epidemiology & Global Health, Director, McGill Global Health Programs & Director, McGill International TB Centre.  With that background, I think his opinion is worth serious consideration.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/madhukarpai/2020/04/12/bcg-against-coronavirus-less-hype-and-more-evidence-please/

• Thanks 1

Every anomaly in incidence/mortality might be worth analyzing, but a first-pass screening of any suggested correlation between nations-with-higher and nations-with-lower rates based on any specific childhood intervention ... would, first, need to consider/exclude obvious macro factors like level of health care in general, demographics (population density), poverty, etc.

Given the need to focus limited funds for epidemiological research in the current crisis, many other interesting anomalies may not be followed up on.

"Beware the siren song of low-hanging fruit," my statistics professor once said to me  ????

~o:37;

I do not think BCG makes much differennce. In the UK nearly everyone is vaccinated for it while at school - they have done it for at least 60 years, hasn't helped!

Yes, black and South Asians have suffered more. They tend to have more age related health problems, and they also overwhelmingly work in public facing occupations - health workers, transport, shops so are more likely to become infected. Also as more urbanised more likely to live in crowded homes. So a triple whammy for them.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In the UK at the moment the media is banging on about greater deaths from black and Asian people, they seem to be relating it to poverty / more pre existing health conditions such as diabetes

Wow - what a revelation: the poor suffer more sickness than anybody else. Who said investigative journalism is dead?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

I do not think BCG makes much difference. In the UK nearly everyone is vaccinated for it while at school - they have done it for at least 60 years, hasn't helped!

I thought the UK had stopped giving routine BCG vaccinations so I checked. The policy to vaccinate schoolchildren aged 10-14 was discontinued in 2005. Still, that means the majority of people above their mid-20's in the UK, should have had the vaccination. And yet the UK is in the top ten of the worst-affected countries for both total coronavirus deaths and deaths per million people.

• Thanks 1