UK cancels order for simple ventilators, needs more complex ones: source

webfact

UK cancels order for simple ventilators, needs more complex ones: source

2020-04-12T201811Z_1_LYNXNPEG3B0L0_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Medical staff are seen outside the NHS Nightingale Hospital at the Excel Centre in London as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, London, Britain, April 11, 2020. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has cancelled an order for thousands of units of a simple model of ventilator developed by industrial companies to treat COVID-19 because more sophisticated devices are now needed, a source involved in the project said on Sunday.

The government confirmed it no longer required that particular model, known as BlueSky.

"We are no longer supporting the production of the BlueSky device following a reassessment of the product's viability in light of the ever developing picture around what is needed to most effectively treat COVID-19," said a spokesman for the Cabinet Office, which is coordinating ventilator orders.

"We are continuing to work at unprecedented speed with a number of other manufacturers to scale up UK production of ventilators," the spokesman said.

The government has appealed to industry to come forward with new models of ventilator that could be produced on a large scale at short notice to help the National Health Service deal with a surge in patients infected with the new coronavirus.

More than 30,000 ventilators in total have been ordered from various consortia of firms from sectors including aerospace, engineering and Formula One.

The source, who did not wish to be named because they were not authorised to disclose sensitive details to the media, said the group involved in the BlueSky project had been preparing to deliver thousands of units.

The source said the reason given by the government to the BlueSky team for cancelling the order was that while the overall number of new UK coronavirus infections was slowing, cases seen in hospitals were more complex than expected.

With several projects competing for the same components, which are in limited supply, the government decided to prioritise more sophisticated devices and cancel the BlueSky order with immediate effect, the source said.

The government is going ahead with the production and delivery of other devices as part of its initiative with industry. The first paraPac devices from Smiths Group were delivered to hospitals on Sunday.

Other devices are currently going through testing, including newly designed products. The government has said it will confirm orders once the new devices pass approvals and have confirmed delivery schedules.

(Reporting by London Bureau; Writing by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Giles Elgood)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-13

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

Have you any proof or evidence that such political beliefs were behind any decisions to make such procurement arrangements?

You see, the last twelve months or so on this forum suggest that your views on just about any matter are also driven by your somewhat trenchant political beliefs.

On occasions I may agree with you, more often I don't, but that doesn't make me, or anyone else who disagrees with your views an idiot.

It’s a small, but I feel important, point.

I did not call you or anyone on this forum an idiot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bramley said:

You forgot to put "illness" in quotation marks, following his miraculous resurrection.

Not convinced he was that I'll. He knows the whole thing is a crock of...........and doesn't wanted to be tainted like Hancock et al. And he's work shy.

^ Why is the current situation bungling? 

As I see it they ask for designs to be submitted, which they were. Then subsequently they decided to remove one design from their requirements. 

Has anyone offered for sale a Boris toilet brush?

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Have you any proof or evidence that such political beliefs were behind any decisions to make such procurement arrangements?

You see, the last twelve months or so on this forum suggest that your views on just about any matter are also driven by your somewhat trenchant political beliefs.

On occasions I may agree with you, more often I don't, but that doesn't make me, or anyone else who disagrees with your views an idiot.

Well said. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Don't you think the design should have been seen as fit for purpose before placing an order.

Highly likely that placing the order was nothing more than a move to try and offset criticism. Get a few more designs, place a few more orders, knock one off and you are seen to be doing something.

I think first order was a panic order, without knowing future, and possibly even point in time, needs.

Now with a better overview of the situation it is easier to assess present and future needs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

They might see similar problems like in New York, where 80% of the covid 19 patients put on ventilators died, raising the suspicion that the ventilators they used are not helping but making it worse:

https://apnews.com/8ccd325c2be9bf454c2128dcb7bd616d

Comparing mortality rates from a new disease while on a ventilator with the mortality rates of other diseases being treated on a ventilator does not reveal anything about the ventilators.

Different diseases, different outcomes.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Yes must have been in a panic as they only had 3 months to gear up for this. Let's not forget the Pandemic Exercise report also clearly stated action was required a year before this pandemic.

Agree with you they should have had plenty of time.  But since preparations were not done they did not have plenty of time, hence the panic buying,

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Specifications and standards were already in place when this virus hit.

What kind of idiocy comes up with the idea of designing and producing something different?

It seems the kind of idiots who stand on their political platform of bleating about too many ‘Standards’ and ‘Regulations’, that’s what kind of idiocy.

Strange statement, treatments for many medical problems always have room for improvements, its an evolving science that does not stand still. With a new virus this is especially so. The expense of producing new designs should not be a factor in the possibility of saving more lives. A very good decision made by the government. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

So at the very start of a major pandemic that threatens to kill 1000's you think it might be a good idea to try a new design.........really????

Absolutely, its much the same as the new drugs they are trying. Either that or carry on letting 1000's die with no new interventions that may work. 

• Haha 1