Booze ban: Thailand's one million heavy drinkers face serious health and withdrawal issues

webfact

6 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

The ban is only for western style stores, people will just buy it elsewhere

It will have zero effect on alcoholics, only the increased consumption from bulk buying days before 

There is blanket ban in Buriram. Even grandma's shops are very careful now. They only sell if they know you well and no other customers/witnesses around. And most of them run out already. They can't

get any new stock.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pineapple01 said:

Funny thing is i went past a Chang Owned distributor place and they still load up Shopkeeps trucks.its near a Police Station, so i recon its an area thing. Up counry Thais dont take much notice of Nannie State anyway.

Really.................????

11 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Funny thing is i went past a Chang Owned distributor place and they still load up Shopkeeps trucks.its near a Police Station, so i recon its an area thing. Up counry Thais dont take much notice of Nannie State anyway.

It is a regional thing, not every province has banned alcohol sales.

In fact it is a 'smart' move from central government to not place a blanket ban, it relieves them of some of the inevitable political pressure that the Chang and Singha empires etc. will pour down on to them as times goes on!

Still think that it is all OTT, nowt wrong with having an evening tipple or two.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

So you ask (hey man where you bring your load)? Maybe PM new year party? Or army base where they party together?

How to f you can know where they bring they load? Even this story is true! Have you understand many province end they  alcohol ban soon , so maybe they prepare! And i dont know what forest you live in if your opinion "up coundry Thais" is that kind! Do they know how speak Thai?

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

It is a regional thing, not every province has banned alcohol sales.

April 12, Pattaya news said all of Thailand had banned alcohol sales?!

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/12/alcohol-sales-are-now-banned-country-wide-in-thailand-to-help-discourage-gatherings/?fbclid=IwAR3Stwqk305Kws_dqcJuSOm1ChPkIqXQUAVVMP_b7Sbax_VoicqUoLPFqxg

• Like 2

Just now, Skallywag said:

Up here in the N.E. my police Capt. friend tells me nobody can sell booze...

If even 1% of the 1 million alcoholics get sick enough to be hospitalized (medical literature predicts serious effects from alcohol withdrawal in about 50% of drinkers and mortality rate between 1-20% of those who have significant seizures or DTs), won't those 10k hospital admissions get in the way of treating people with C-19 and other health issues? Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, bander said:

Alcoholism is a self-inflicted disease and not the governments problem like Corona virus is.

If alcoholics die from stop drinking then who is to blame? Please don't blame the government.

Keep the alcohol ban and watch the number of traffic deaths decline. 

.... and domestic violence will surge

2 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Wow.. it’s that easy is it ? ... jeez all those years of counselling and AA meetings , even in Thailand,  outdoor have been ditched ! All I had to do as look in the mirror... Go educate yourself ! 

I took a grip of my life and looked in the mirror when I was diagnosed with cancer after 50 years of smoking! I changed my ways! Terry boy!

9 hours ago, Flugg said:

Guess the additional deaths caused through starvation, suicide and untreated medical conditions will outnumber the corona death by far.

I believe that 100% and not just because of the booze cutoff, but because of the economic upheaval, the loss of so many small businesses, big factory layoffs, closures, etc.  The Thai economy was fairly fragile to begin with and nobody knows how much GDP the military has been siphoning off that never makes it onto the books

One million alcoholics in Thailand. I thought the clamping down on sale hours of booze was supposed to lower the number of alcoholics in Thailand. Now, I'm wondering why the hours were reduced for selling booze at all, certainly wasn't  cure all. Time to change the law back to where you can sell alcohol 24/7.

10 hours ago, Saltire said:

There are only about 5 shops in my village that sell alcohol, limited to Chang, Leo, Lao Khao and Hong Thong. All have stopped selling openly. Wife is pretty sure if you take your own bag to one of them it can still be bought. The problem is now they are all sold out of everything.

The villages I am sure have a very high percentage of chronic alcoholics. Many never stop from morning till night. One shop owner joked that no one gets hangovers here as they don't stop drinking long enough.

The wifes 75 year old step mother who lives next door is drunk every day (fortunately a 'happy' drunk), never causes us any grief except asking for 3 Baht now and again as she is short to buy a refill with a red bull bottle or a plastic bag 'shot'.

I noticed the dependancy my first day with the wife in the village when a drunk farmer stuck his head in our window at 8 AM and wanted to share a beer with the new farang. We did to keep the peace, but had to run out and buy one!

From a personal view since I moved to Thailand 3 years ago my alcohol consumption has dropped to almost zero (see choices above!) and since the virus arrived, I have had zero alcohol, same as the wife.

3 baht?  Wow.  In my little village, it was 10.