Flight refund issues ??

cornishcarlos

I received an email from BA that my long haul flight was cancelled, but rather than try and get a refund myself I gave the problem to Barclaycard and they took care of the entire process, the money was refunded to my card inside three weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trillian said:

I received an email from BA that my long haul flight was cancelled, but rather than try and get a refund myself I gave the problem to Barclaycard and they took care of the entire process, the money was refunded to my card inside three weeks.

I asked the Bank who said unless B.A. refused a voucher/refund they couldn’t raise a dispute, it was a Visa Credit Card. I called B.A. asked for a refund and it was credited back to my card within 4 days. When I called I only waited a few minutes to speak to some one, this was 3 weeks ago, they do try to make you accept a voucher online, you have to call for a refund. 

No problems with EVA (this was about 5 weeks ago) for flight booked on their website. They cancelled the  Europe-BKK section of a return flight to Europe. There was a clear choice on the website between refund or change of dates (both with fees waived). Got the full refund in about 3 weeks.  

I have an unusual situation with BA and I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer, I've googled the question and found nothing.

I booked a BA flight in December (not long haul) for June this year which has now been CXL. Thing is around Feb I changed my plans and cxl the flight myself and only got around 10% of the flight back, as per the ticket (fair enough) Of course with hindsight I wouldn't have done this and would have got a refund with the covid situation (or in theory anyway lol)

So the question is even though I cxl the flight myself pre covid and got approx 10% back, am I now entitled to a full refund since the flight is now cxl and now doesn't even exist? When I go into the 'my booking' thing is says in red writing that my flight is cxl and a refund is being processed, but I think this may just be a standard message. When I call them on the UK  number I get to the bit where they say they are very busy with limited staff pls be patient etc and then the line goes dead, so cannot even speak to anyone?

• Sad 1

Here is where I'm at with BA after a charge back from Finair a quick refund from Bangkok air BA is a nightmare to cut a long story short and no refund or being able to speak to anyone via their useless phone system I went on the .gov site paid £35 to get my money back though the court the court papers are deemed to be served today and the defendant has until the 07/06 to respond. 

'

I have no idea how this will turn out but at least I can gain some satisfaction in forcing BA to respond.

17 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I have an unusual situation with BA and I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer, I've googled the question and found nothing.

I booked a BA flight in December (not long haul) for June this year which has now been CXL. Thing is around Feb I changed my plans and cxl the flight myself and only got around 10% of the flight back, as per the ticket (fair enough) Of course with hindsight I wouldn't have done this and would have got a refund with the covid situation (or in theory anyway lol)

So the question is even though I cxl the flight myself pre covid and got approx 10% back, am I now entitled to a full refund since the flight is now cxl and now doesn't even exist? When I go into the 'my booking' thing is says in red writing that my flight is cxl and a refund is being processed, but I think this may just be a standard message. When I call them on the UK  number I get to the bit where they say they are very busy with limited staff pls be patient etc and then the line goes dead, so cannot even speak to anyone?

Same here I was told 2 months ago all I would receive is £97 back of Rtn flight to LHR since then nothing no contact no money now claiming all my £486 back though the court I will post again if I succeed or fail and loose another 35 quid????

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Same here I was told 2 months ago all I would receive is £97 back of Rtn flight to LHR since then nothing no contact no money now claiming all my £486 back though the court I will post again if I succeed or fail and loose another 35 quid????

You say 'same here' but is your situation the same as mine? Did you cxl your flight yourself? You are not clear at all.

19 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Here is where I'm at with BA after a charge back from Finair a quick refund from Bangkok air BA is a nightmare to cut a long story short and no refund or being able to speak to anyone via their useless phone system I went on the .gov site paid £35 to get my money back though the court the court papers are deemed to be served today and the defendant has until the 07/06 to respond. 

'

I have no idea how this will turn out but at least I can gain some satisfaction in forcing BA to respond.

No problem with B.A. after hey cancelled my flight Newcastle to BKK, there phone system is not useless it’s just that thousands of people were trying to call them. I tried several times eventually got through and the refund was in my bank in 3/4 days.

On 4/15/2020 at 7:52 PM, scorecard said:

True.

I booked a flight on AirAsia Sydney to Chiang Mai 5 April and return 11 April and I made the booking several months ahead to get the lower fare, and I did get a very cheap fare.

I had no hesitation to book AirAsia because last November I took their flight Chiang Mai to Sydney thru KL and it was a very pleasant flight with very good service, the pre-booked package meals were fine, and the freebies and service in their lounge at KL lost cost terminal was fine and the staff were focused, helpful and very pleasant.

Then the virus hit and AirAsia cancelled my flight, and many more.

First by e.mail they said they would offer a refund or a credit usable for 365 days. Then they pushed for the credit. All e-mails from a 'no-reply' e-mail address, also indicating passengers needed to lodge a request for a personal credit 365 account on line, using their 'Ava' robot chat column which is totally frustrating and is clearly not good customer service/customer relations.

After about 8 attempts I did eventually get a robot confirmation that I was successful to establish my personal credit 365 account and I got a reference number,  that message also indicated I could use my personal reference number to track whether a credit had / had not been processed into my credit 365 account, but after several searches I cannot find any portal to do the tracking.  I went back to the Ava robot chat line and kept asking asking where/how to do the tracking. Robot Ava just answers again and again 'I don't understand your question, please ask me another question'.

Then, about 5 days ago I got another 'no-reply' e.mail from AirAsia saying they are trying hard to answer all queries and giving a phone number to call in Kuala Lumphur. I called immediately but I got a recorded message from the Malaysian Telcoms people saying 'this number has temporarily been suspended'.

During all of this I've also established they have closed down all their telephone numbers everywhere.

It's clear they must be bombarded with customers queries etc., but their response / lack of response is way less than ethical. 

Further to the above, on 17 May I got an e-mail from AirAsia saying that my 365credit had been approved for the flight they cancelled. And a small note apologizing for the long delay and for the unsatisfactory AVA robot chat facility. 

I checked my personal AA Big Red account details and the credit does appear. They reduced what I had paid by a quite small % (I guess about 200Baht) and I can use the credit to make a new booking up to 365 days after the credit date, and I can book a flight which departs up to 365 days after the booking is confirmed. 

I responded to their e-mail telling me the 365 credit had been approved asking for a telephone number of a dedicated e-mail address to contact them for more details about specific flights, services etc. No reply. 

Edited by scorecard

5 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No problem with B.A. after hey cancelled my flight Newcastle to BKK, there phone system is not useless it’s just that thousands of people were trying to call them. I tried several times eventually got through and the refund was in my bank in 3/4 days.

Well lucky you but not my experience I would say at more than 50 attempts to contact by phone and being cut off the phone system is more than useless ????

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Well lucky you but not my experience I would say at more than 50 attempts to contact by phone and being cut off the phone system is more than useless ????

Why not give the problem to your credit card company, it's one of the main reasons why I use a CC to buy plane tickets.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

You say 'same here' but is your situation the same as mine? Did you cxl your flight yourself? You are not clear at all.

They canceled. you wont get anymore back for a canceled flight you canceled before they canceled that your trying to un-cancel to re-cancel to get more money back I would say????

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Why not give the problem to your credit card company, it's one of the main reasons why I use a CC to buy plane tickets.

Booked in October 120 days charge back limit gone ????

No not lucky, just a matter of being patient, I was in no hurry to receive a refund, I wasn’t going anywhere,  I just tried making phone calls 2/3 times a week. I was in no hurry for the refund, in fact I got through several times to discuss my partners fare which was a the return leg. They offered 50% of the fare, there wasn’t a voucher on offer but I have a year to reschedule her flight for free.

They canceled. you wont get anymore back for a canceled flight you canceled before they canceled that your trying to un-cancel to re-cancel to get more money back I would say????

Agree, it's a long shot for sure. But you shouldn;t have said 'same here' when our cases are not the same at all.

6 minutes ago, Trillian said:

My CC company Visa told me as long as B.A. are offering vouchers oor a refund they wouldn’t go into dispute irrespective that I couldn’t get through their Call Centre.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No not lucky, just a matter of being patient, I was in no hurry to receive a refund, I wasn’t going anywhere,  I just tried making phone calls 2/3 times a week. I was in no hurry for the refund, in fact I got through several times to discuss my partners fare which was a the return leg. They offered 50% of the fare, there wasn’t a voucher on offer but I have a year to reschedule her flight for free.

Of course it is useless, it's beyond useless. You hear a message and then it cuts off without even giving you an opportunity to wait? It's useless every which way.

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Agree, it's a long shot for sure. But you shouldn;t have said 'same here' when our cases are not the same at all.

When I call them on the UK  number I get to the bit where they say they are very busy with limited staff pls be patient etc and then the line goes dead, so cannot even speak to anyone?  = same here????

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

When I call them on the UK  number I get to the bit where they say they are very busy with limited staff pls be patient etc and then the line goes dead, so cannot even speak to anyone?  = same here????

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

That also happened to me but I kept trying over a period of weeks, at random times not many times and got through eventually to an operator.

Many airlines are slow or "forget" to refund monies or credit due at the best of times, and, as we are certainly not experiencing these now, I would say that this situation will become much worse. Several airlines won't even be in business at all soon.   

We are living in very difficult times currently and I can understand people’s frustrations when trying to contact airlines but some airlines don’t appreciate that there are hundreds of thousands of passengers in the same position. Airlines can’t wave a magic wand and instantly recruit more staff at their Call Centres. When I called B.A. one was working from home and at the same time I imagine trying to manage a family. What I do disagree with is airlines are still taking bookings then when it gets nearer the date they cancel the flight starting the merry round of trying to receive a refund again.

59 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Booked in October 120 days charge back limit gone ????

Barclaycard accepted my claim for a return air ticket that was purchased five months earlier, the outbound was used at the time of purchase but the return segment was scheduled for late April before it was cancelled by the airline.

Common practice. These companies screw people and then wait for the maybe 20% to complain. They get away with the rest of the 80% and give them vouchers, when really everyone in their right mind knows only a refund is acceptable. 

Complain. If it does not work, chargeback. That is the formula. 

I had an April Emirates full flex ticket, which can be cancelled for free, so there is not even a need for another reason to cancel it. I cancelled the ticket on March 10th.

Was approved, but did not get any money back. Many calls and e-mails later - still no money.

In the beginning of May I wrote them a letter to their airport office in Europe threatening a lawyer - refund was done 2 days later.

Had to do something similar with the Eurowings airline 2 years ago when I was entitled to 600 EUR because of a flight delay.

Now I learned my lesson. Next time I only write letters. Do not bother anymore with calling the airlines.

Called Oman Air on their 24/7 U.K number and got through real quick.

Matey told me that they can't help with refunds, only possible to request by email !!

Been emailing them twice a week for the past 4 weeks with no response (not surprised tbh)

So I initiated a claim just now, with Halifax, and was told they are working on about 40-45 days per claim under the current circumstances.

Not bothered about the wait, as long as the payment is refunded. I'll let Halifax do the work now ????

On 5/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

I just spoke to a DUDE at BA and he says my refund will be processed and will receive in 2-3 weeks. I still don't believe it and he sounded half asleep.

Btw, the BA +44203 number that just gets disconnected... if you call when you get asked to press 1 for refund or 2 for other enquiries I pressed 2 and someone pick up straightaway. if you press 1 it just goes dead after hearing a message about how busy they all are, bless. I called at 5am UK time.

• Like 1