Flight refund issues ??

cornishcarlos

I received my flight credit+10% from Qatar about 3weeks after I cancelled it.  Domestically in usa of the 3 flights, Only Delta issued the ecredit immediately.  BOTH American(2weeks) & Spirit(1 month) haven't responded yet(since date I cancelled).

@cornishcarlos I got a reply from the Sindbad Club about my flight BKK-MCT-LHR that was due to fly on April 13th. This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Sindbad Service Center.

We acknowledge receipt of your email and would inform you that all the flights are suspended till further notice. for rescheduling you are allowed for two free date change to your ticket, within the validity period. Moreover, you can keep your ticket open and reuse it again later (within the validity period) . For more information, please contact Oman air call center or Oman air city office.

No offer of a refund and I'm not sure what the 'validity period' is, I can't see any mention of it on the e-ticket. My base plan is to try and fly back to the UK in August for a quick visit, and if that's possible then I'll be quite happy with rebooking the flight rather than asking for a refund. If it's not going to be possible this year then I'd prefer the refund as I expect the 'validity period' won't extend that far into the future.

Most call centres are closed or overwhelmed with calls and emails so getting through to them is virtually impossible . I've had to buy 2 separate flights from ethihad and had both canceled and only an offer of a voucher to be used within a crazy timeframe . Both options are only available after calling the helpline ...and surprise surprise ! They dont answer any calls or emails . Now I've booked another with Emirates and all I can do is hope this one will actually fly . Originally I was to fly out 1st april , with extra flights paid for and visa costs and the cost to stay longer will be a drain on my pocket ...this is a common story with thousands of people I imagine and the airlines are taking more bookings knowing they may never fly .

Sons flight on AA was cancelled weeks ago. The bot confirmed full refund after providing bank details, then nothing happened. Latest got an email offering options for credits, however no way to actually take them up on it as say there is a problem. They are dodging and weaving.

Scoot was the same, offered nothing, just stole the fare. Perhaps there is a moral there about low cost airlines...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toper3jr said:

I received my flight credit+10% from Qatar about 3weeks after I cancelled it.  Domestically in usa of the 3 flights, Only Delta issued the ecredit immediately.  BOTH American(2weeks) & Spirit(1 month) haven't responded yet(since date I cancelled).

You cancelled ?? 

Oman Air have suspended all flights, so under their booking conditions, a full refund should be available..

51 minutes ago, Guderian said:

@cornishcarlos I got a reply from the Sindbad Club about my flight BKK-MCT-LHR that was due to fly on April 13th. This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Sindbad Service Center.

We acknowledge receipt of your email and would inform you that all the flights are suspended till further notice. for rescheduling you are allowed for two free date change to your ticket, within the validity period. Moreover, you can keep your ticket open and reuse it again later (within the validity period) . For more information, please contact Oman air call center or Oman air city office.

No offer of a refund and I'm not sure what the 'validity period' is, I can't see any mention of it on the e-ticket. My base plan is to try and fly back to the UK in August for a quick visit, and if that's possible then I'll be quite happy with rebooking the flight rather than asking for a refund. If it's not going to be possible this year then I'd prefer the refund as I expect the 'validity period' won't extend that far into the future.

Omans booking conditions stipulate a refund if they cancel the flight.

18 hours ago, chessman said:

I just got a full refund from Nok Air. It was an international flight that had been cancelled and it was quick and easy.

You were lucky. We had flights Phitsanulok-DMK on 29 March and return 21 April. These were connecting flights to go to Australia with AA.

On 3 April Nok made a policy announcement that any one with connecting flights that were cancelled due to C19 could:

1.    Re-Credit
Re-credit of the ticket, the ticket to be used within 365 days after applying the policy.
All changes must be made prior to the original date of departure.

Note the date of the announcement. You have to apply for the credit through their web form but as soon as you put the 29/3/2020 date in it gives an error, so it does not work (a website in Thailand not working, I think I have heard that before).

3 phone calls to their call center to sort it out. The first one cut off as I ran out of phone credit and the second 2 they cut me off.

As for AA I applied for a refund 27 days ago and still nothing. As others have said they are stalling so I do not expect a positive result. I want to put in a claim through our travel insurance, Allianz, but the email address (from their website today) where you request a form to be sent does not exist.

19 hours ago, chessman said:

I had three flights with different companies.

I just got a full refund from Nok Air. It was an international flight that had been cancelled and it was quick and easy.

Traveloka (an agency). Very difficult to contact and quite slippery. They are telling me that I am not entitled to a refund, even though if I contact the airline they say I am (but they tell me I have to organize it through the travel agency).

Qatar Air. They have told me I am entitled to a refund but I have been waiting over 3 weeks for it now.

I would never use an agency. If something goes wrong the airline will always tell you that you have to deal with it through who you made the booking with. That can be difficult, if not impossible, and expensive if you are not in the same country as the agency. Airlines are far easier to deal with, much of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you still need to flight than an alternative flight or voucher is the best; note if you do not want to pay extra fees, the Airline will give you the alternative flight. If you op for cash refund, this can take between 2 to 3 months as I recall several times in the past...

If you are an individual flier the airline literally has the power over you. If you book over a travel agent, they have to take the responsibility to bring you home.

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

True.

I booked a flight on AirAsia Sydney to Chiang Mai 5 April and return 11 April and I made the booking several months ahead to get the lower fare, and I did get a very cheap fare.

I had no hesitation to book AirAsia because last November I took their flight Chiang Mai to Sydney thru KL and it was a very pleasant flight with very good service, the pre-booked package meals were fine, and the freebies and service in their lounge at KL lost cost terminal was fine and the staff were focused, helpful and very pleasant.

Then the virus hit and AirAsia cancelled my flight, and many more.

First by e.mail they said they would offer a refund or a credit usable for 365 days. Then they pushed for the credit. All e-mails from a 'no-reply' e-mail address, also indicating passengers needed to lodge a request for a personal credit 365 account on line, using their 'Ava' robot chat column which is totally frustrating and is clearly not good customer service/customer relations.

After about 8 attempts I did eventually get a robot confirmation that I was successful to establish my personal credit 365 account and I got a reference number,  that message also indicated I could use my personal reference number to track whether a credit had / had not been processed into my credit 365 account, but after several searches I cannot find any portal to do the tracking.  I went back to the Ava robot chat line and kept asking asking where/how to do the tracking. Robot Ava just answers again and again 'I don't understand your question, please ask me another question'.

Then, about 5 days ago I got another 'no-reply' e.mail from AirAsia saying they are trying hard to answer all queries and giving a phone number to call in Kuala Lumphur. I called immediately but I got a recorded message from the Malaysian Telcoms people saying 'this number has temporarily been suspended'.

During all of this I've also established they have closed down all their telephone numbers everywhere.

It's clear they must be bombarded with customers queries etc., but their response / lack of response is way less than ethical. 

About 4 years ago On that exact route with Air Asia we lost an engine near Alice Springs.   Instead of landing, they elected to return to Melbourne so that the passengers could be joined with the next Melbourne flight.  Of course, the delay meant the connecting leg from KL was lost, and also a hotel booking.

spent hours on the phone with Air Asia trying to get a letter of explanation for travel insurance.  Endless loops, phone cutting out after an hour on hold, endless transfers if you did actually speak to a person etc..  Ended up so frustrating I gave up.   And this was in normal operating times.

budget airlines are great until something goes wrong.  

5 hours ago, tso310 said:

Thai have indicated that European flights will recommence in June but no bookings are current. The LHR flight will be the evening flight out from BKK. There should be a sweepstake on the price.

The following are one way prices.

You can now book Emirates from May 2nd to LHR price 10,370bht and that is from the Emirates website. I do put details of notified changes for most airlines from BKK but with everything the caveat things may change at very short notice. EVA is still available, next flight 17 April, price is 20,000bht again on their website. Yesterdays flight reportedly had 200 empty seats that morning. Landed at LHR 40 minutes early. Again book via their website.

Qatar has seats available at Thai prices, 26,000bht.

Forgot about Lufthansa, 3 times a week, 27,455bht with a good LHR connection. They are using an A340-300 so an old 20 year old aircraft. Probably the last chance to fly in one of these.

Cheaper to stay in Thailand.

I have a flight booked with Thai Airways London to Bangkok on 5 June. I emailed them and asked what the likelihood of the flight going ahead. The reply I got (after a week) was that it was highly likely that flights in June would be cancelled also but it is yet to be confirmed. So I am curious why you think they will be flying in June?

Qantas gave me a flight credit for my cancelled Bkk to Lhr flight on April 1 but I selected the option for a full refund (since I don't know if this flight will ever be available again). A screen popped up saying 'refund accepted' but no reference number, no email or anything. I'll give them a few more weeks.

20 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think you are spot on there... I believe they have to give cash refund though if requested, it's in their terms and conditions when they cancel your flight.. 

A voucher is more common among larger airlines imo. 

• Like 1

I decided not to take a risk, and flew back to UK a week early, then found out my original flight with Singapore Airlines was cancelled. They offered me a flight voucher. When I got Home I emailed Singapore Airlines, and told them I had no intention of flying during the next 12 months, and if I didn't get my money returned in 10 days I would claim it through my credit card. I got a full refund within 4 days ????

16 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I have a flight BKK-LHR booked for 1st June

It's still showing that it is leaving at 11.45 am, can't imagine it will be flying now?

They have cancelled everything until 31st May but have said nothing about June so far.

Has anyone else got flight bookings for June and beyond with other airlines?

If so what is their stance at the moment?

I was due to fly THAI from BKK-LHR on 28th April but it got cancelled by email with no new date given. After re-dialling 24 times I got through to their BKK office and asked "what's the next available date?". I was given TG910 on 2nd June and got a confirmation and seat assignment for that date. I suspect IF things keep improving with Covid numbers then we MAY see a re-start of SOME flight routes by mid-May. Of course I could be wrong and still be here in July.

• Like 1

We had flights from Newcastle-Heathrow -BKK on the 12th of May with B.A., they have cancelled the Newcastle-Heathrow flight but not the Heathrow-Bangkok flight even though their site is showing no flights on that date. Vouchers offered or flight change free. I have tried to call them but after several options they cut you off as they are busy. My partners flight is the return journey so she we would need too book a single fare as and when flights resume, I would like to know if the voucher would cover the cost of the single fare and why the Heathrow-Bangkok flight has not been cancelled.

21 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Got blanked till I bought a new ticket and returned home, then an $800 credit to be used within 24 months. Decent!

I got similar with Emirates

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Thanks but I'm not in Thailand... My flight however is for BKK to LHR

If you paid for the flight using a UK credit card contact the bank saying you wish for a refund (chargeback) as under section 75 of the Consumer Credit act the card company is jointly liable . This even applies to whole amount if you only paid a proportion on the card.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

If you paid for the flight using a UK credit card contact the bank saying you wish for a refund (chargeback) as under section 75 of the Consumer Credit act the card company is jointly liable . This even applies to whole amount if you only paid a proportion on the card.

Yes that will be another option.

My flight is not due to leave until 3rd May, which is why I'm not pursuing it too much yet.

Once it has passed that date, I will start chasing hard for a refund...

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I would never use an agency. If something goes wrong the airline will always tell you that you have to deal with it through who you made the booking with. That can be difficult, if not impossible, and expensive if you are not in the same country as the agency. Airlines are far easier to deal with, much of the time.

I started to use one when I had literally had no other way to pay for a ticket with VietJet. (How an airline could have flights from Bangkok but not accept Thai credit cards is beyond me) it worked well and I got a decent discount. Since then I have used them a bit, I always get a 5% or 10% discount from the airline web price (I always check both). I probably have saved close to the actual cost of the flight I have now, so even if I get nothing back it’s not a disaster. 

I agree with all your points though, I would never use one for a more expensive long haul flight.

2 hours ago, AprilWine said:

I have a flight booked with Thai Airways London to Bangkok on 5 June. I emailed them and asked what the likelihood of the flight going ahead. The reply I got (after a week) was that it was highly likely that flights in June would be cancelled also but it is yet to be confirmed. So I am curious why you think they will be flying in June?

They have already stated their intentions to restart in June with provisional frequencies and aircraft deployment. These details have been sent to the GDS sites which travel agents use. Not yet bookable on their own site. Somebody may have jumped the gun or its the usual left hand right hand scenario with Thai. As I keep saying on the airline status threads I have, its all very volatile and don't expect Thai to post the most up to date info on their website. You can now book direct with Emirates for 10,370bht starting in May. I would trust them far more than Thai.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

We had flights from Newcastle-Heathrow -BKK on the 12th of May with B.A., they have cancelled the Newcastle-Heathrow flight but not the Heathrow-Bangkok flight even though their site is showing no flights on that date. Vouchers offered or flight change free. I have tried to call them but after several options they cut you off as they are busy. My partners flight is the return journey so she we would need too book a single fare as and when flights resume, I would like to know if the voucher would cover the cost of the single fare and why the Heathrow-Bangkok flight has not been cancelled.

Was a BA flight or a code share with Qatar ? They are both One World Alliance so BA do use them on their website but it will have a BA flight number. I suspect your real problem will be entering Thailand as its easier to pick Euro Lottery jackpot numbers.

I'm due to fly to the U.S. on May 1st. on EVA. They are offering no penalty refunds or flight change. There are end dates to file by. If you select flight change, you have only until December to use it. Now that is as far as today. Tomorrow it could be different.

Every time I get annoyed at the delay to the refund, I think about the people in the travel industry who have lost their jobs. Or the people trying to get home and have multiple flights home cancelled and have run out of money because their multiple refunds will take months.

If a few thousand Baht is lost or a refund takes an extra 2 months and this is just an annoyance then I am one of the lucky ones.

• Like 2