Flight refund issues ??

cornishcarlos

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How much of every ticket is tax they don't have to pay?

Aircraft fuel they don't have to buy?

Pure profit from our tickets.

Fuel aand taxes are paid in arrears so they will still be paying bills for a few months ago.  They will benefit in months to come but this is currently a cash flow problem with next to none coming in but nearly all the usual amounts going out.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

@cornishcarlos I got a reply from the Sindbad Club about my flight BKK-MCT-LHR that was due to fly on April 13th. This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Sindbad Service Center.

We acknowledge receipt of your email and would inform you that all the flights are suspended till further notice. for rescheduling you are allowed for two free date change to your ticket, within the validity period. Moreover, you can keep your ticket open and reuse it again later (within the validity period) . For more information, please contact Oman air call center or Oman air city office.

No offer of a refund and I'm not sure what the 'validity period' is, I can't see any mention of it on the e-ticket. My base plan is to try and fly back to the UK in August for a quick visit, and if that's possible then I'll be quite happy with rebooking the flight rather than asking for a refund. If it's not going to be possible this year then I'd prefer the refund as I expect the 'validity period' won't extend that far into the future.

Validity is one year from the booking date.

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

If you paid for the flight using a UK credit card contact the bank saying you wish for a refund (chargeback) as under section 75 of the Consumer Credit act the card company is jointly liable . This even applies to whole amount if you only paid a proportion on the card.

Chargeback and Section 75 are two different things.  Readers should make sure they understand the differences before making a claim.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:42 PM, 473geo said:

Preferred choice of the airlines would be to offer an alternative flight or voucher - as they do not know when flights will resume probably playing a holding game to limit demands for a cash refund

My canceled air Philippines flight offer a 10% bonus for à credit. Not to bad at all

3 hours ago, tso310 said:

Was a BA flight or a code share with Qatar ? They are both One World Alliance so BA do use them on their website but it will have a BA flight number. I suspect your real problem will be entering Thailand as its easier to pick Euro Lottery jackpot numbers.

I booked direct with B.A., I know even if there were flights on the 12th of May it would be very difficult for me to return to Thailand in fact impossible even for my Thai partner and son as they might still be quarantining Thai people when they arrive.

What I want from B.A.is the value and the flexibility of the vouchers which they haven't divulged.

B.A. are Spanish owned, Qatar have a 25% stake but as I paid with my U.K. Credit Card I can raise a dispute. 

16 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I booked direct with B.A., I know even if there were flights on the 12th of May it would be very difficult for me to return to Thailand in fact impossible even for my Thai partner and son as they might still be quarantining Thai people when they arrive.

What I want from B.A.is the value and the flexibility of the vouchers which they haven't divulged.

B.A. are Spanish owned, Qatar have a 25% stake but as I paid with my U.K. Credit Card I can raise a dispute. 

I'd raise a dispute with the credit card company. It will be far quicker than trying to do it yourself. 

1 minute ago, tso310 said:

I'd raise a dispute with the credit card company. It will be far quicker than trying to do it yourself. 

B.A. do answer tweets so I wait till they answer my last but I think I will be raising a dispute with my credit card company, as you say it will or should be sorted quicker.

A message from Tony

When Kamarudin and I started AirAsia nearly 20 years ago, we had a dream of allowing everyone the opportunity to fly. Sadly, that opportunity has now been taken away from us for now. 

It’s an uncertain time. Never could I have imagined it, no one could have predicted it and yet everyone has been touched by it. So I want to be open and transparent with you in this time of uncertainty.

There’s no denying that our industry has been hit hard, and we are no exception. This is possibly the biggest challenge we have ever had to face. We have no revenue coming in, 96% of our fleet is grounded and we still have significant ongoing financial commitments such as fuel suppliers and leasing agents. 

We are doing everything possible to reduce costs during this time so we can come back fighting as fast as possible and continue to be the world’s best low cost carrier, enabling everyone the ability to fly with our great value and service. 

We are one of the few airlines world over who has kept all of our staff on. AirAsia is a family and there are tens of thousands of Allstars who depend on the business for their livelihoods and the wellbeing of their own families. Kamarudin and I will not be taking a salary during this period and Allstars from across the business have accepted temporary pay reductions of anywhere between 15-75%, depending on seniority, to share the impact this is having on our business. I thank them for their sacrifice and in keeping the big picture in mind as we navigate this together.

In spite of all these challenges, I want to assure you that AirAsia is strong and remains firmly focused on the future and serving you, our guests. I also want to express my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all of you for your loyalty to AirAsia and I hope that you and your loved ones are healthy and well throughout this trying time. I’m truly sorry that many of your travel plans have been affected. Like all airlines, AirAsia had no choice but to cancel a large number of flights due to government restrictions in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19. 

I know many of you have expressed frustration with not receiving a refund for your flights but I encourage you to accept a credit as a good alternative. More than 80 percent of you have accepted our credit offer and we truly appreciate this. Please know that our policy is in line with many operators in the travel industry and reflects our focus on coming out the other side of this difficult period and flying with you again as soon as possible. We have ensured that we adhere to all regulations and requirements of respective governments and consumer authorities and believe this is the best solution. You are among the over 600 million guests who have flown AirAsia and can’t wait to fly with you again once this is over.

While we strongly encourage you to accept the credit which is instant and comes with a 365-day validity and allows you to change your flight date for an unlimited number of times, we do accept requests for refund on a case by case basis. However, due to the overwhelming number of requests that we have received, it may take a long process of between 12 to 16 weeks.

I also want to acknowledge the comments I’ve seen about our virtual Allstar AVA. Please know that we take your feedback seriously and my team is making improvements to the system daily. Currently, our team and AVA are handling 10 times the normal volume of queries, which is now at about half a million guests on a daily basis. 

We are working tirelessly, around the clock, to provide assistance to each and every one of you. We’ve mobilised additional support to our customer happiness team, including 1,800 Allstars from other functions, who have rolled up their sleeves and volunteered to help, so more live agents are available to assist you via our LiveChat, Facebook Messenger, Twitter & WeChat 24/7. 

We’ve never had a time like this before and we are doing our best. We are not always perfect but we strive to do all we can for our people and our customers at all times. This is unprecedented but it is also temporary and we will be back, stronger than before, repainting the skies red and making sure everyone can fly again.

Until then…

Stay home. Be safe. And look to the future.

#InThisTogether

Lots of love,
Tony

** Follow AirAsia on Twitter (@AirAsia) and Facebook (facebook.com/AirAsia) for the latest updates, or contact our customer support team at support.airasia.com. Check your flight status at airasia.com/flightstatus for live updates. 

Please refer to the COVID-19 Guide to check your eligibility and for information on how to submit your preferred alternate travel request.

Download our apps now: iOS | Android
My Bookings | Check-in | Flight status | Support
©2020 AirAsia Group Berhad

Air Asia lost my custom about three years ago when they refused to honor a flight change, and charged me again for the new flight date. They refunded the airport charges and taxes.

IMO under current circumstances it's now better to leave booking until 1-2 days before the flight, even if it costs more.

Heads up guys and gals: I just received an email from THAI Airways cancelling my flight from Bangkok to London for 2nd June. I called reservations (got through immediately to a helpful rep) and they told me that "right now" there is nothing scheduled to London, Paris or Frankfurt until 1st July 2020! Therefore I am now re-booked and "confirmed" to London on 1st July which is the earliest operating flight. She also said some routes (unspecified) will not be operating again until 27th October.

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Heads up guys and gals: I just received an email from THAI Airways cancelling my flight from Bangkok to London for 2nd June. I called reservations (got through immediately to a helpful rep) and they told me that "right now" there is nothing scheduled to London, Paris or Frankfurt until 1st July 2020! Therefore I am now re-booked and "confirmed" to London on 1st July which is the earliest operating flight. She also said some routes (unspecified) will not be operating again until 27th October.

Well at least they rebooked but nothing to stop them cancelling your flight again ?

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Well at least they rebooked but nothing to stop them cancelling your flight again ?

No nothing at all. I can get a refund or transfer to another operator (Eva Air) if they are flying. Alternatively if Qatar are still flying I can currently buy one way for 14500 Baht. Ultimately if the world is still at a standstill there's no point going back to London as my businesses are travel related anyway so no work 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 flights on Qantas were cancelled (due to travel in April), and accepted the credit voucher option reluctantly. They sent the vouchers pretty quickly but the conditions are unacceptable - I was flying from Jakarta where I was supposed to be on a business trip to Sydney. Voucher says can only redeem from that original country which is ridiculous as I live in Thailand. For the other voucher from Sydney to Bangkok, it also says I can only use from Australia. Total 51000 Baht i will most probably lose. People warned me about QF long ago.

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

The boss of Ryanair says it can take up to 6 months for a refund so o dread to think how long Oman Air will take. 

I was supposed to fly yesterday... No email from them at all.

So now I will start emailing them asking for a refund.

If no response this week, then I will claim from the Halifax ????

I was supposed to fly last Friday with Emirates from BKK via Dubai to Brussels.

When I bought the ticket (early March), Emirates had already launched their 'change dates at no extra cost when in same flight-category'.

My 2nd leg flight to Brussels was cancelled by them (already some weeks ago), so I called them

last week, to enquire about my options.

Pleasantly surprised by the easy and customer-friendly options Emirates provided:

- Because of one-leg cancelled on my flight, the full journey (including the return flights) was automatically cancelled by them, so no need for me to do any cancellations myself;

- I had the choice for a refund, a voucher or booking the same journey at a later date (with no extra cost);

- I opted for a re-booking later, and I can simply use my earlier booking-confirmation number to re-book my flights later; when using same flight-category (economy) there will be no costs at all even if those later flights would be more expensive than my initial flights.

>>> Perfect solution for me.  Kudos to Emirates!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When I bought the ticket (early March), Emirates had already launched their 'change dates at no extra cost when in same flight-category'.

My 2nd leg flight to Brussels was cancelled by them (already some weeks ago), so I called them

Pleasantly surprised by the easy and customer-friendly options Emirates provided:

- Because of one-leg cancelled on my flight, the full journey (including the return flights) was automatically cancelled by them, so no need for me to do any cancellations myself;

- I had the choice for a refund, a voucher or booking the same journey at a later date (with no extra cost);

- I opted for a re-booking later, and I can simply use my earlier booking-confirmation number to re-book my flights later; when using same flight-category (economy) there will be no costs at all even if those later flights would be more expensive than my initial flights.

Excellent result...

I'm gonna go for a refund though. 

Buy some oil stocks and hopefully cover any increases in future fares that way ????

On 4/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, kwonitoy said:

I was booked to fly to Canada Mar 25 through Expedia, used them for years without any problems.

Trying to phone expedia the week prior to flight to get information was hopeless, spent probably 10 hours on hold, never talked to anyone. The website just took me in circles to the same page that couldn't do anything.

Mar 23 got an e-mail and a phone call from EVA telling me my flights are canceled. Got an email from expedia saying the flights have been canceled by the provider.

Phone expedia again and actually get through to a person, request a refund and they said no problem because the flights were cancelled and will be refunded after 30 days, haven't got the money yet but I'm confident.

Cancelled a vehicle rental with expedia online, no drama

Checked the bank last week and my refund from Expedia has gone through, 30 days as promised.

I've used them a lot before for work, and will definitely be using them again

Had a booking AMS-BKK with EVA leaving April, booked with cc on the airline's website . The flight was cancelled by EVA, choices were either a re-booking within the one year validity of the ticket (change fee waived but not potential fare difference) or full refund (fee waived). Choose the latter, full refund received after ca 18 days. I have always had a good experience with EVA, last year when they had that strike, the BKK office offered to rebook a BKK-AMS flight with any carrier (as long as it was economy class) at no cost. Ended up with direct flight with KLM. 

5 hours ago, mancub said:

Be aware that the terminology "flight suspension " and "cancellation" have different legal obligations for airlines regarding refunds. 

You want to explain or just leave that hanging there ?? If the flight you booked is not available on the date purchased, that should mean the airline is responsible for breaking the contract ?? 

14 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You want to explain or just leave that hanging there ?? If the flight you booked is not available on the date purchased, that should mean the airline is responsible for breaking the contract ?? 

The flight is supposedly "available" until the airline actually notifies cancellation. This makes it possible in most instances for the airine to avoid giving a full refund until such time. By agreeing to a credit/shell or flt change the customer is deemed to have cancelled the original bkg.

4 minutes ago, mancub said:

The flight is supposedly "available" until the airline actually notifies cancellation. This makes it possible in most instances for the airine to avoid giving a full refund until such time. By agreeing to a credit/shell or flt change the customer is deemed to have cancelled the original bkg.

Exactly. Several weeks ago Easyjet suspended all flights until further notice but were not actually cancelling the flight until shortly beforehand. This policy slows down refund applications and extends the repayment time. Prior to cancellation passengers are sent emails advocating the benefit of vouchers.

I had a flight with Easyjet on 13th May and it has only just been cancelled. The destination was Morrocco and on 18th April the Morroccan government extended the ban on foreign arrivals until 20th May but for a further 2 weeks the flight was supposedly still available.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mancub said:

If an airline has suspended all operations and laid off flight crew, then the flight is not available I would guess. Oman have not emailed me to inform me that my flight last Sunday was cancelled.. 

4 hours ago, mancub said:

That's why it's almost always recommended to wait on the airline cancelling before taking any action.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

If an airline has suspended all operations and laid off flight crew, then the flight is not available I would guess.

Your guess would be wrong.

The travel industry has been putting their own interpretation on "Suspended until further notice" to the effect that operations could start up at the drop of a hat, which would of course be totally unrealistic.

It gives the industry the excuse to collect payments for travel that will not take place and then substitute with vouchers, all about cash flow.

The booking must be cancelled.rather than suspended, by the company concerned before the statutory regulations come into play.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:58 AM, kwonitoy said:

Checked the bank last week and my refund from Expedia has gone through, 30 days as promised.

I've used them a lot before for work, and will definitely be using them again

Good to hear as I am awaiting a refund from them, thing is I can't remember when I did it as it was on their online portal and I didn't receive email confirmation etc, but it was around 30 days ago now if not more. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:42 AM, Peter Denis said:

Substitute London for Brussels and same here, except that I flew TO Thailand in February before the madness got into top gear.

Best airline in the world (IMO before the bitchiness starts!) 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

You can still book flights, that way the airlines are topping up their bank balance then a few days before if they have to cancel either give you vouchers, change dates foc, their preferences and the 3rd option a refund. To receive a refund from B.A. you have to call them, I did and the money was back on my card in 3/4 days.