Higher intermediate Thai

EricTh

I find that most Thai schools in Chiang Mai teaches just novice low to novice high for foreigners.

Some schools teach until Low Intermediate for foreigners. Note the word 'foreigner'.

I can't find any schools that teach higher than Lower Intermediate in which the teacher can translate the Thai sentences in English. The Thai teacher level of English is only as good as Lower Intermediate. 

This is the nine levels of language proficiency.

ACTFL.png?fit=700,558&strip=none

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 5:56 AM, Oxx said:

Why would this be a requirement? It's simply not necessary.  The better schools in Bangkok (i.e. those using the Union method) teach solely in Thai.  I studied effectively full time (4 hours/day + homework) for 18 months at one such school, and I don't know whether any of the teachers could speak English or not.

Do you mind sharing which one it was?  I guess considering you stayed with them for that length of time, you were happy with them.

50 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Thanks for the info, reading through the website and the thread you linked, it looks like there is a heavy emphasis on reading and writing. Would you agree? I can read and write, and I tend to feel that they are skills that can be practiced just as well outside of the classroom environment. I was also looking at AUA, which as far as I can tell uses a methodology at the other extreme, with much emphasis on being exposed to "real" spoken Thai. I guess I should check them both out. 

14 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I can read and write, and I tend to feel that they are skills that can be practiced just as well outside of the classroom environment.

Ask yourself whether you can really read and write.  Can you read a Thai daily newspaper? Could you write a shortish essay? If not, you can't really read and write, but are simply decoding, and probably slowly.  And if you can comfortably do both, than UTL is not for you.  Similarly, if you don't want to be that highly literate in Thai, again, UTL is not for you.

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Ask yourself whether you can really read and write.  Can you read a Thai daily newspaper? Could you write a shortish essay? If not, you can't really read and write, but are simply decoding, and probably slowly.  And if you can comfortably do both, than UTL is not for you.  Similarly, if you don't want to be that highly literate in Thai, again, UTL is not for you.

Good questions. I'll go along and let them asses my ability. That will put me in a better position to know whether they are right for me.

On 4/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, Oxx said:

It was https://www.utl-school.com/

UTL uses the Union method, so in many respects is similar to Union, Piamitr, and a couple of others.  On the plus side, it has relatively few god-bothering missionaries.  Also on the plus side, pretty much all the farang drop out after level 3, leaving mainly Japanese and Korean students, along with the very occasional Chinese, Italian and Russian; there's no resorting to English in the classroom, or during the break.  On the negative side, the material and learning method is very old fashioned and can be boring.  However, outside Chulalongkorn University, I know of no other method that is as thorough and which goes to such a high level.  (If in doubt, ask whether a school teaches for the Ministry of Education's P.6 exam.  Very few schools do.) 

There is an old topic about schools using the Union method with a few more of my comments about UTL.

How many older farangs study at the school? i am approaching my retirement and interested to get a structured course. Unfortunately, there are  no good school in Phuket and I am seriously thinking about moving to Bangkok for a year to study, obviously after the virus is put under control. 

Another question, I understand that the first levels are based on karaoke approach. I can read better than I can talk, I have a basic vocabulary on the level of Thai For Beginners. Is it possible to slip the first levels and how difficult is the level 3 of the program. 

thanks.
Gene 

Edited by Gene1960

On 4/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, Oxx said:

Maybe you could study mathematics instead? That's 10 levels (or possibly 11).

Why would this be a requirement? It's simply not necessary.  The better schools in Bangkok (i.e. those using the Union method) teach solely in Thai.  I studied effectively full time (4 hours/day + homework) for 18 months at one such school, and I don't know whether any of the teachers could speak English or not.

I had about 6 weeks full-time language training in the U.S. Peace Corps 40+ years ago.  We didn't speak in English in the classroom.  The teacher barely spoke at all, a word here or there.  Then he would demonstrate the concept until we got it.  They called it the "Silent Way".  We learned words, put them into phrases and could express ourselves.  My Thai sucks compared to many, but I can get around.  But I did start thinking and talking to myself in Thai.   I have a hard time sometimes translating Thai stuff I understand back into English.  My reading is not so good, forget writing.

I did marry in Thailand and my wife did not speak English, though she later learned.  She has a knack of only using simple Thai with me which works fine.

• Like 2