Daily new cases must fall below 10 to contain Covid-19

Jonathan Fairfield

As a case reference to masks wearing - In Australia we have been very successful in lowering the infection curve so far and that has not been due to necessitating the wearing of masks.  As pointed out to me (I was a strong advocate of wearing masks), when people not trained in the proper use of a mask, they tend to often adjust it up and down with potentially infected hands - touching the fabric of the mask.  They then pull the mask up and down, dragging it up and down along their face and touching it with potentially infected hands on the mask rim, then pulling it back up over their face, hence any virus pathogens could then infect the wearer.  

The proper use of a mask means only using the loops to take off the mask and put on after washing hands.  Trained professionals know how to do this.  It isn't difficult, but the general public being told to just wear a mask means many are prone to self infecting themselves more due to many adjusting their mask a lot whilst being worn.  

Masks are of course effective if used properly.  And it helps reduce spread of droplets from infected people.  

There are positive and negative points to both wearing and not wearing it.  

Australian health officials have cautioned against wearing a mask in general and our infection rates are falling - people here are mostly complying with social distancing of 1.5 metres outdoors and 4 metres indoors.  And groups restricted to 2 people outside, unless family members living together.  There is extreme shortages anyway of masks and hand sanitisers because Chinese students and companies raided all of our shops and shipped them to China, leaving our hospitals and frontline medical professionals with nothing. 

Chinese citizens in Australia, shame on you.    

Edited by aussienam
spelling
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Split hairs all you like about designations; slave workers, migrant workers, same same in Asia when working outside of your country of origin.

Singapore’s coronavirus numbers have more than quadrupled in the past two weeks, propelled by a surge in Covid-19 infections among its migrant worker population. The island nation had 1,000 cases on April 1, with 10 infections among workers living in dormitories – and 4,427 infections on April 16, 60 per cent of which are migrant workers living in dorms.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/explained/article/3080466/how-did-migrant-worker-dormitories-become-singapores-biggest

I'm a construction company owner in Singapore and I employ these migrant workers. Are you implying I'm a slave monger? All I can say is, look at the track record. When Lee kuan yew passed away, former migrant workers from India mourned his passing, they were grateful to be able to provide a better life for their families because he allowed them to work in Singapore. Hardly what you expect from “slaves”.

As for the dormitories, I already half expected it because of the tight communal spaces there just like what happened on ships so far. It's primed for the coronavirus to spread as the case now. The sudden high figures is because they decided to lock everyone down in the dorm and do mass testing. It's likely infection has been going for a while.

I rather the way now in Singapore though, locking everyone down, testing everyone in the industry, every cluster of infection. Singapore has the highest REPORTED numbers in ASEAN but I feel safer here. If there's a cluster, we all know it. The infected are treated and isolated way longer before being released. Death rates are way lower comparatively. It is what it is here. Not so sure about our neighbors though. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The people of Thailand have to be able to make a living, and feed their families. It is easy for these typically wealthy ministers and advisors to recommend very long economic shutdowns, but the pain it is causing the masses is untold. And the subsidy program is not working, with about 80% of the people who apply being rejected. It demonstrates the lack of concern and lack of sincerity of the leadership here. 

You can replace the word "Thailand" with "USA" and submit the same post on any American forum

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

And in the end, hundreds of millions worldwide could end up far poorer than they were before. And tens of millions could end up starving to death, compared to perhaps 200,000 or so total deaths worldwide from Covid. OK. The rich stay safe and financially secure. And the rest of us? And those of us who are self employed, without fortunes in the bank? Who pays for our rent, or our mortgages, and why do landlords prosper when the economy is shut down?

Looks like you took a page out of my book  ???? .   Common sense.   The common man.   hmmmpfff !   Do we stand a chance when there are "experts"  paraded out on stage every

minute of the day?   Telling the people what is best for them .   Amazing that they believe without question that the virus is going to kill everyone.    

BTW:   i am a landlord  555   Lowered the rents already.   Can't sell the place now (as i had planned) .     Everything is on hold.   

Note:  Social distancing is not a bad idea.  I have been practicing it for years ! ???????? If getting everyone

to put on a mask was so easy ....... why not just  educate everyone by bombarding them with 

suggestions 24/7 on how to stay well instead of constant graphs and experts creating the fear factor.  Give co-operation a chance .    Deal with the serious troublemakers on a case by case basis.   It is easy to control the masses by just making the first offenders a visible example.

Might even work with fire setters .   If any "authority"  really cared

Edited by rumak

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

This will take some time to see how this all shakes out, but it is my opinion that the economic fallout from the inane economic shutdown, is going to be 200 times worse than Covid itself, and the recovery "ramp up" will be long and excruciating. Far longer than they say. It will not just bounce back. In the history of the world, as far as we know, there has never been a deliberate worldwide economic shutdown. It is light years beyond dumb.

The "slowdown" will last well into 2021, for certain. And some industries may never come back, or will be a pale shadow of their former selves. No doubt homelessness will skyrocket in the US. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that will leave millions out of work.

What about concerts? Will people be willing to hang out with crowds of 20,000, at a cost of hundreds of dollars for a crappy seat? Same with sports. Will people be willing to go into a stadium or an arena with 20,000 to 100,000 people close together, and pay crazy money for a seat?

Movie theaters? Cruise ships? Will the hordes just start descending on restaurants again, and pay inane prices for a gourmet meal? The list goes on, and on and on. 

And in the end, hundreds of millions worldwide could end up far poorer than they were before. And tens of millions could end up starving to death, compared to perhaps 200,000 or so total deaths worldwide from Covid. OK. The rich stay safe and financially secure. And the rest of us? And those of us who are self employed, without fortunes in the bank? Who pays for our rent, or our mortgages, and why do landlords prosper when the economy is shut down?

Does anyone think a 5,000 baht subsidy is a big help for the people when 80% who apply, are getting turned down? Where is the sincerity and concern, on the part of the government, when they are needed?

I am in agreement with your analysis of the recovery - that it will be long and excruciating but I am at loss to understand why you consider the lockdown 'inane'.  Thailand's lockdown has been looser than most but we still don't know to what extent there is community spreading because of so little testing.  I guess the bottom line is what loss of life is acceptable to protect economic activity?  Do you think the rich are at risk in either scenario? Since this disease seems to prey on the old and infirm, is this an acceptable way to rid society of those who do not contribute to the economy but worked hard all their lives in an attempt to enjoy there retirement years? I guess the question I would put to you is "What is the greater good and who decides what it is?"

37 minutes ago, aussienam said:

As a case reference to masks wearing - In Australia we have been very successful in lowering the infection curve so far and that has not been due to necessitating the wearing of masks.  As pointed out to me (I was a strong advocate of wearing masks), when people not trained in the proper use of a mask, they tend to often adjust it up and down with potentially infected hands - touching the fabric of the mask.  They then pull the mask up and down, dragging it up and down along their face and touching it with potentially infected hands on the mask rim, then pulling it back up over their face, hence any virus pathogens could then infect the wearer.  

The proper use of a mask means only using the loops to take off the mask and put on after washing hands.  Trained professionals know how to do this.  It isn't difficult, but the general public being told to just wear a mask means many are prone to self infecting themselves more due to many adjusting their mask a lot whilst being worn.  

Masks are of course effective if used properly.  And it helps reduce spread of droplets from infected people.  

There are positive and negative points to both wearing and not wearing it.  

Australian health officials have cautioned against wearing a mask in general and our infection rates are falling - people here are mostly complying with social distancing of 1.5 metres outdoors and 4 metres indoors.  And groups restricted to 2 people outside, unless family members living together.  There is extreme shortages anyway of masks and hand sanitisers because Chinese students and companies raided all of our shops and shipped them to China, leaving our hospitals and frontline medical professionals with nothing. 

Chinese citizens in Australia, shame on you.    

Masks are not supposed to protect the WEARER - they are supposed to protect everyone else around you.  If everyone wears one, the asymptomatic people will not spread it as much.  "Your mask protects me, my mask protects you"..

Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong) have done much better than the West in general.

Australia may have been helped by now being Summer...  while not proven, countries with high temperatures seem to do well.

And the subsidy program is not working, with about 80% of the people who apply being rejected. It demonstrates the lack of concern and lack of sincerity of the leadership here. 

Or a lack of finances to pay-out what they promised, in many ways I read between the lines to see an emerging picture.

Hospitals saying they are short of PPE and equipment for their staff, yet government figures show only 790 undergoing treatment in hospitals?

Thousands now begging on the streets for any hand-out they can get, the welfare system recently boasted a trillion or so baht in the coffers, yet 80% of applicants are being turned away.
And the very latest, Uncle Tu penning a letter to the lands 20 richest families to help with donations and ideas...

Both of which I suspect the government is out of !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pookiki said:

Since this disease seems to prey on the old and infirm, is this an acceptable way to rid society of those who do not contribute to the economy but worked hard all their lives in an attempt to enjoy there retirement years? I guess the question I would put to you is "What is the greater good and who decides what it is?"

By all means.  Segregate the old and infirm and anyone else that wishes.   Then those who are willing to be part of the herd immunity will be free to do so at their own risk.

Whatcha think ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Leef said:

They probably don’t qualify as slaves but they are in huge dorms on very low pay and kept out of sight and have been left out of considerations by the Singapore government- until now. You should read the news rather than claim the original poster is being racist or spreading bs. 

They don't qualify as slaves but it isn't BS, make up your mind please.

I really wish Thailand good luck with that.

In Australia we had 26 new cases yesterday, amongst a population of 26 million.

(And some might say the counting methods employed here are a little more reliable than Thailand).

Still, the nutter in charge is hinting at another 6 months of this lockdown. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pookiki said:

I am in agreement with your analysis of the recovery - that it will be long and excruciating but I am at loss to understand why you consider the lockdown 'inane'.  Thailand's lockdown has been looser than most but we still don't know to what extent there is community spreading because of so little testing.  I guess the bottom line is what loss of life is acceptable to protect economic activity?  Do you think the rich are at risk in either scenario? Since this disease seems to prey on the old and infirm, is this an acceptable way to rid society of those who do not contribute to the economy but worked hard all their lives in an attempt to enjoy there retirement years? I guess the question I would put to you is "What is the greater good and who decides what it is?"

These are adequate questions - if we were in a situation, where tenthousends of people died. But we are just at 47 dead. You can of course always doubt the official numbers, than it might be 100 or hundreds. Out of 69 million thais. 

The narrative of flatening the curve no longer stands: in many countries the hospitals are half empty, and the hospitals are still not allowed to do the usual operations.

It is more than time to get the act together, and help the economy and the people to come back to normal lifes. Protect the elderly and the sick with reasonable mesures.

• Like 1

And the subsidy program is not working, with about 80% of the people who apply being rejected. It demonstrates the lack of concern and lack of sincerity of the leadership here. 

Sounds much like the UK and US to me

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Every day there are more and more "for sale/rent" signs on businesses here in Hua Hin. Not just bars but shops, restaurants and other companies too. Often whole rows of shop houses (not just new ones). The main Petkasem road was like a ghost town this afternoon. Can't imagine what it must be like in Pattaya or Phuket. Empty showrooms and factories elsewhere for a long time already. The service sector plays such a big role here that there are mass layoffs and people now going hungry and unable to pay rent. This will get dramatically worse in the next 2-3 weeks. Expect more lines for free food and possible protests against the elusive 5,000 Baht subsidy. The leadership have no clue about reality for the hard working Thais.

Hua Hin was like that even before the shutdown. We tried to find some semblance of fun nightlife when visiting a friend in January. It was dire. Honestly no idea why people go. Phuket and Pattaya were both busy. Samui looked like it was struggling. 

I think the lock down was mostly needed.  It gave us all a shock and let us know if we didn't already that the virus was serious and needed to be taken seriously.  It helped to get us adjusted to what will be the new normal--wearing masks, using hand sanitizer, practicing social distancing, and having our temperatures taken, among other things.  When I go out now I automatically reach for my mask, my sanitizer, and my wrap-around eyeglasses.  When I come home I change my clothes and shower.  The lock down has gotten us acquainted with the new normal.  

It also gave governments a chance to see how the virus performs, put into place measures to flatten the curve, and bought some time to plan for the new normal.  Hopefully, this will mean in Thailand that offices like the Land Office and many others, as well as businesses, have done some planning during the lock down on how to do their functions while maintaining safe social distancing.

Now, it's time to begin re-opening.  No country's economy can remain closed indefinitely and that includes Thailand, with its very limited safety net for ordinary Thais.  The opening can begin slowly with important safety measures left in place but begin it must.  Individuals at higher risk due to age or illness can choose to continue to self-quarantine until they feel it is safe for them.  I fall into the at-risk higher age group and I will choose, weighing the risks, as to whether I want to go to dinner at a restaurant, go to the condo's pool and gym, go grocery shopping, travel, etc.  And, that is how it should be as we move into an opened-up new normal.  

Excellent interview with the doctors ! However with only 100,000 people being tested it leaves a lot to be desired - now they can test 20,000 per day ( overall population 90 million ) still small % being tested.... reason for this cost 2,000 baht per person. 
-

Believe with these small test cases ‘ then allowing free movement again in provinces,.we may then see a surge of the virus spreading on a much larger scale ( hope I’m wrong ) it’s a difficult situation and I’m no expert. Stay safe people ????

18 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Excellent interview with the doctors ! However with only 100,000 people being tested it leaves a lot to be desired - now they can test 20,000 per day ( overall population 90 million ) still small % being tested.... reason for this cost 2,000 baht per person. 
-

Believe with these small test cases ‘ then allowing free movement again in provinces,.we may then see a surge of the virus spreading on a much larger scale ( hope I’m wrong ) it’s a difficult situation and I’m no expert. Stay safe people ????

I still stand by the belief if it was to hit hard in Thailand it would of already done so ...Going into month 5 soon since it was first introduced into Thailand so I'm hoping the bullet was dodged ..

4 minutes ago, Sharp said:

I still stand by the belief if it was to hit hard in Thailand it would of already done so ...Going into month 5 soon since it was first introduced into Thailand so I'm hoping the bullet was dodged ..

I'm with you there, fingers crossed. Living on a hope and pray though should not be necessary and we would all be more confident if further testing carried out in provinces that don't even currently report cases will be needed for some time to come.

• Like 1