Study shows that Covid-19 can survive high temperatures

webfact

Study shows that Covid-19 can survive high temperatures

By THE NATION

800_4f32bf1927fe111.jpg?v=1587368245

Dr Thiravat Hema-chudha, a senior medical lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, on Sunday (April 19) said heat of 60 degrees Celsius or higher cannot kill Covid-19 or its ability to replicate, when the virus is in a dirty environment.

Some scientists had theorised that higher-temperature climates in Asia were one reason why infection rates were many times lower there than in European countries, but the new findings appear to pour cold water on that idea.

Dr Thiravat shared the findings of researchers at Aix-Marseille University in France, which were published by the South China Morning Post newspaper on Sunday.

The newspaper said that scientists infected African green monkey kidney cells with a strain of Covid-19 from a patient in Berlin.

The cells were loaded into “clean” and “dirty” test tubes along with animal proteins to simulate biological contamination in real-life samples, such as an oral swab.

After heating for an hour, the strains in the clean tube were completely deactivated, while those in the dirty environment survived.

The heating process resulted in a clear drop in infectivity, but enough living strains remained to be able to start new round for infection, said the newspaper.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386410

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-20

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, outsider said:

This virus is still relatively unknown and worse, mutates just as scientists think they have it figured out. I am no scientist and do not have relevant background to comment with any conviction,

You've just said it mutates and that you have no relevant background to comment with conviction.Are you saying the virus mutates without conviction or that it mutates without conviction?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You've just said it mutates and that you have no relevant background to comment with conviction.Are you saying the virus mutates without conviction or that it mutates without conviction?

Yes, a little confusing. Edited my original comment. Thank you.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I'd like to see someone test the viruses ability to survive at 35 degrees C and 80% humidity on non wet surfaces.

The human body is 37C and very wet, so why would 35C at 80% humidity kill it? That would be near perfect conditions for SARS-Cov-2.

36 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

In Thailand I rarely get sick. I never get chesty coughs or other flu-like symptoms. I might get the odd niggle of a sore throat or slightly blocked nose, but never anything that would stop me from going to work or functioning as normal (bar the odd bout of food poisoning). 

I’m generally much, much healthier here because of the warm climate. Not like when I lived in the UK where I would always get something in the winter. We are lucky to have this climate during a pandemic. 

The thing that worries me now is rainy season. It’s a breeding ground for illnesses. You can easily see how more people get sick during this period. Let’s hope things get much better before it kicks in. 

I have had some pretty nasty flu viruses during the rainy season, and I suspect that covid might make a stronger appearance during this period. I think its a good idea to use a fan, open windows, and forget about using the air conditioner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One swallow does not a summer make.

During the rainy season people are enclosed together in confined spaces with windows and doors closed, increasing the spread of viruses.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/sick-in-rainy-weather-reasons

In the dry season, well ventilated spaces and more time spent outside boost immunity with vitamin D. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/benefits-vitamin-d