Thailand extends foreigners' visas for a second time as coronavirus cases slow

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are doing the same thing. You have nothing to support your opinion and advising people to skip their one year extensions.

I would not do that if I did agree with you. I have stated they should do their extensions since there is big uncertainty about being able to apply for another one without starting all over again.

I'm mainly arguing about some people saying that those people will be on overstay.

If somebody's one year retirement extension expires today, and he doesn't extend it: Do you think this person would be considered on overstay starting tomorrow?

Regarding your concern that they might have problems with future extensions: We haven't see a single case where somebody had such problems (of course currently hardly anybody is in this situation, in a few months we will see more such cases). But we even had one person yesterday who got his yearly extension even though he was probably considered to be under the automatic extension for nearly a month. There is also nothing in any announcement which would suggest that this could be a problem.

Edited by jackdd

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are doing the same thing. You have nothing to support your opinion and advising people to skip their one year extensions.

I would not do that if I did agree with you. I have stated they should do their extensions since there is big uncertainty about being able to apply for another one without starting all over again.

Mine's not due until the 1st week of June but I'm tempted to try and renew it early, especially now as this latest "amnesty" should almost eliminate the lines at Immigration. I may give it a bit longer though as word probably hasn't spread far and wide yet so there probably will still be some large crowds. Plus if I wait a week maybe the "lockdown" in Pattaya will be over and I won't have to go through any barricades to get to Immigration.

I think I can go up to 45 days ahead of the due date ? And even if I do go early, the actual date of the new Extension will be the same date as the original ? 
(For example, I may go to Immigration on the 25th of May and get may passport back on the 26th but the Extension date will still be dated from 2 June.)

As my "90 Day" would also be due at the same time (I put a bit of effort into making sure that would happen this year) I'm going to see if they'll do it anyways, even though it isn't required. That way my next one would be due at the same time I'll be expected to come back and prove I've still got money in the bank and I'll be able to avoid the massive rush that will happen when things go back to normal on 1 July.
(If they go back to normal by then of course.)

Can't hurt to try at least !

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You fall under the rules since the only way to stay longer is to leave the country. You can stay until the 31st.

non-o marriage 90 days stamps is also extended if we had to leave the country in May ? can stay 3 more months until july 31 ?

thank you.

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Because they only list classes of aliens to which they refer.

The title of the document is something like: Special permission for certain classes of aliens due to Covid19.

Then in the document they are talking about three classes of aliens:

1. Permanent residents

2. People who were granted permission to stay until at least 26th March, and who got their permission to stay based on a visa or visa exempt.

3. People from neighbouring countries with a border pass

As we can see the order is about these three "certain classes of aliens", thus the title is correct.

Some people here are quite paranoid (which i can definitely understand to a certain degree, due to past actions of immigration), and are now interpreting this order wrong. They are for example interpreting "certain classes" as "doesn't apply to all types of visa entries", but this is not what it means.

The amnesty does not State what you say with regards number 2.

The amnesty uses the term temporary stay according to visa type. This is not the same as permission to stay.

Consider persons given extensions for the purpose of litigation or former Thai nationals

No visa requirements for these persons thus it cannot be said that their temporary stay is in accordance to a visa type.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The bottom line is - if you are not sure about your status then you need to go to Immigration as they are the only ones that can give you a definitive answer.

As you can see in this thread alone, there are a number of differing opinions and interpretations of the rules and everyone thinks that their situation is different. The only way to be sure is to go yourself and get the answer from the source.

Or not.
Up to you. It's not like you face a heavy fine and possible blacklisting or anything if you are wrong (or take the wrong advice because it sounds like the easiest way to go). :whistling:

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall anybody saying that. Certainly not me.

I did.
When I mentioned that if someone is on an Extension of Stay that expires while they are in country and they don't renew it (or apply for a short term extension if they don't plan on renewing it for some reason) then they would probably be considered to be on overstay from the day after the Extension expired.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall anybody saying that. Certainly not me.

I didn't say you said this, but several other people did.

For example:

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, they will be on overstay.

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I'm mainly arguing about some people saying that those people will be on overstay.

If somebody's one year retirement extension expires today, and he doesn't extend it: Do you think this person would be considered on overstay starting tomorrow?

Regarding your concern that they might have problems with future extensions: We haven't see a single case where somebody had such problems (of course currently hardly anybody is in this situation, in a few months we will see more such cases). But we even had one person yesterday who got his yearly extension even though he was probably considered to be under the automatic extension for nearly a month. There is also nothing in any announcement which would suggest that this could be a problem.

How to Keep Your Speech Interesting | Public Speaking - YouTube

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They would not be on a overstay. The rules do appear to say if the extension expires you are covered under the order since the only way to stay longer would be to leave the country.

But as I wrote I am not sure a person could apply for another extension without starting all over again. It is intended to be for those that cannot do their extensions.

But someone on a Retirement extension would not have to leave the country to renew that Extension. I think the only ones who have to leave are the ones that have to do the border run every 90 days. (People on marriage and business Extensions I think it is ?)

18 hours ago, Timwin said:

90 percent of farangs already left so they realized it might be a good idea to allow the rest to stay! Not many living with the average Thai salary of mere 16 000 Baht here. A lot of families in the countryside depend partly now on that one Captain Save-a-bar-girl! Reporting for duty! ????

Thai salary 16,000 baht a month , i only have 17,000 baht a month to live on my pension . the exchange rate now makes it very difficult , better also they raise the UKpound to 80 baht to the pound instead of the measily 39 baht at present then i might be able to buy more in 7 / 11 or family mart but i suppose the authorities in thailand are not smart enough to work that one out . out of the 17,000 baht a month is accomodation cost and food , im afraid i resorted to doing a hand job now , no more ladies and also it could be dangerous going with a lady of the night now as only need one of them to have the virus and then you have got it , so its tissues out for me now .

• Confused 1

Does anyone know (as opposed to uninformed guesses) when we  would then need to do the next 90 day report if our normal date is before the end of July? 
Seem to be 3 possibilities:

1. Immediately after the ‘amnesty’ ends on 31 July

2. 90 days after the amnesty ends

3. 90 days after the missed normal report date

I am hoping It’s this third one as the first two possibilities would overload the process with an abnormal number of reports

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

2. People who were granted permission to stay until at least 26th March, and who got their permission to stay based on a visa or visa exempt.

My annual extension is based on my previous permission of stay, which I am merely extending once again.

A Visa or Visa exempt entry would be for a maximum 90 day entry, with the exception of O-A, O-X, Elite.

The categories to which the amnesty applies is clearly those who would have to leave the Country to get a new Visa or re-entry who would be granted permission of stay on entry, but because of the Covid situation are unable to do so.

Those on annual extensions granted permission of stay by their local Immigration office, do not have to leave the Country to extend their permission of stay again, so are not covered by the amnesty and should continue to extend as usual.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, INANIMATECARBONROD said:

So for us that have a non-O visa expiring in June, what does this announcement mean? Are we good until July 31st now without having to visit an immigration office? 

Do you mean a 90 day entry from a Non O Visa, OR an extension of stay issued by Immigration which is a permit, not a Visa.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

But someone on a Retirement extension would not have to leave the country to renew that Extension. I think the only ones who have to leave are the ones that have to do the border run every 90 days

I guess you're not up to date on those retirees here initially on O-A visas that now require Thai medical insurance to get a one-year retirement extension. Many of us were planning on leaving Thailand to either get a Non Imm O at a nearby Thai consulate, or to re-enter visa exempt then get the Non Imm O from Immigration. But with those options now closed, and for those not married to a Thai, or over the age of 75 (no medical insurance available), there is NO path available for extension renewal. But, when the borders open, they can proceed with their plans, re-enter, and get a retirement extension based on their new Non Imm O. Certainly no overstay fees as they leave.

The interesting scenario would be the retiree whose extension ends during this amnesty phase -- but he can't renew because he didn't have the 800k in the bank for 2 months when it came renewal time. But, when things are back to normal, and he finally has the 800k for 2 months settled, can he claim the amnesty to bridge the gap from the time he was supposed to renew -- until the date post amnesty when he finally applies for renewal?

Anyway, not my situation -- I'm with the O-A medical insurance crowd. But, it is an interesting conjecture.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

The interesting scenario would be the retiree whose extension ends during this amnesty phase -- but he can't renew because he didn't have the 800k in the bank for 2 months when it came renewal time. But, when things are back to normal, and he finally has the 800k for 2 months settled, can he claim the amnesty to bridge the gap from the time he was supposed to renew -- until the date post amnesty when he finally applies for renewal?

As succinct as I can be 'No'.

A question for those who are advising long term retirement/marriage extension holders to simply renew as normal.

If your extension is due imminently, and there are army roadblocks between you and the Immigration office preventing you from passing, how do you perform this simple task?

1 minute ago, INANIMATECARBONROD said:

It's a 1 year, single entry non-O marriage visa, expiring in June. 

Provided your previous permission of stay from your last entry ended later than 26th March, then you can now stay until July 31st.

If you haven't already applied for a 60 day extension, you can apply for that when the amnesty end date is announced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

A question for those who are advising long term retirement/marriage extension holders to simply renew as normal.

If your extension is due imminently, and there are army roadblocks between you and the Immigration office preventing you from passing, how do you perform this simple task?

Wow, that's hardcore!  In most of the travel restricted areas exceptions are made for urgent travel.  Take a Thai speaker with you and talk your way through!  Or just wait until the roadblocks are ended and plead your case with Immigration when you can get there.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

provide your Passport and documents that you would present to Immigration.

The trip is 'essential' .

• Like 2

Just now, possum1931 said:

I bet this doesn't apply to 90 day reporting, in some Immigration offices, there will still be queues.

90 Day reporting was suspended across the board a couple of weeks ago and I believe, as the new order is an extension of the old one, there isn't any requirement for 90 Day reports until the end of July (at least).

• Like 1