RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

If Pattaya's tourism industry was on the SET, would you buy shares in it.  No, I didn't think so.  

Where are they at? 

Surely there is only one way to go.

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Playskool had a very listenable music selection then. In Nana, only Sexy Night still does, far as I know, but then there's the visuals. ???? My biggest objection to present-day go gos is the "music" that must be endured at excessive volume.

Since we must reminisce, I took out a particular dancer from Playskook a few times, exceptional well-mannered lady who claimed, believably, she'd last worked as a salesgirl at Emporium.

Yes, they played great rock and roll music, the girls wore nice shoes and I had a hard time counting how many times the DDG girl used to go off during the evening. She was surely the barfine queen of Nana.

I hated it when the fashion became those nasty thigh high boots- very NOT sexy. It was about that time the music changed too.

I normally only played with girls from Hollywood Royale, but as it went on till after dawn every night sometimes I ended up dancing on stage and not in the hotel because all the good lookers had been bought out already.

Happy days ( and happier nights ).

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Are you talking about Pattaya now?

I agree with a few bars actualy defintively closing their doors

but even if some homeless and beggars are in the streets, they were already here

before the crisis, and they are still at the moment in much less numbers than in alot of 

cities in europe.

And they can not sleep on the beach, it's really closed since  one week with an active

presence of the police, plus the rain season is here (Heavy rain again tonight on Pattaya)

A friend of mine who lives in Nirun condo area went down friday said it was like a scene from the living dead with unwashed limping about begging !!! 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Silent Tiger said:

Just catching up reading the thread and other posts i see many bars packing up and calling it a day !!! Also the streets are full of homeless beggars sleeping in doorways & on the beach sad state of affairs !!!

Maybe but they will find a way for those girls to ply their trade. It will bounce back too much money to be made.

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It was like that round there before!

Actually I rode down Arunothai Sunday morning and it looked pretty glum, lots of folks hanging about... but that wasn't evident in other areas like 2nd Rd and Klang. Perhaps they were waiting on some handout station there on Arunothia to open?

Depends if they are giving out free food, if so there can be 100s queuing. It's not all bad most have motorbikes and look like they come from out of town

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends if they are giving out free food, if so there can be 100s queuing. It's not all bad most have motorbikes and look like they come from out of town

The banks are chock-a-block out in the boonies I hear, opening bank accounts to get their 5000 baht. 

12 hours ago, Silent Tiger said:

A friend of mine who lives in Nirun condo area went down friday said it was like a scene from the living dead with unwashed limping about begging !!!

I hope they continue to be fed.  The most basic necessity of life.  

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not if you don't sell......... ????

I think you may be confusing values with equity. 

If the property has a mortgage against it, with no job the pay the mortgage, and no tenant to help pay the mortgage, the owners of many commericial and residential properties are going to be in some trouble.

Edited by Leaver

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I think you may be confusing values with equity. 

If the property as a mortgage against it, with no job the pay the mortgage, and no tenant to help pay the mortgage, the owners of many commericial and residential properties are going to be in some trouble. 

In that case there will be negative equity because a sale will likely be necessary. Until then it is just paper 'value'.

Leaver, I recall the days of standing at the bus stop in the 1980's, discussing with the neighbour, how much the 'equity' in our houses had risen. Something of a different conversation when the recession hit. Equity is only a positive or negative when assets are/have to be realised.

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Equity is only a positive or negative when assets are/have to be realised.

I think many Thai's, and foreign business owners will "have" to sell, but there will be no buyers, even at fire sale prices, so they will be left with the loss.

I know many wealthy Thai's own several properties here, and don't care if they are vacant.  However, there are many "mom and dad" Thai investors who are leveraged, as well as foreign business owners who paid cash up front.  Many of these will be looking at big losses.    

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 12:07 PM, newnative said:

Well, if you're calling RIP for Pattaya you'll need to do the same for many other beach resorts and other tourist destinations dependent on foreign travelers.  Although many of the posters seem to think only Pattaya has been impacted by the virus, that is, of course, not the case.  The New York Times did an article pointing out the severe impact the virus has had on tourist destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico.  It's the same in other tourists spots dependent on foreign travelers with many countries shut down and air travel mostly halted.   

Pattaya, like all these other tourist destinations, and many other towns and cities, is in for some very slow months ahead.  No doubt about it.  But, dead?  No.  When I look out my window at night I see hotels with no lights on.  However, I see lots of lights on in the condos I can see.  People are still here. This was clearly evident when the Chinese tours were halted.  The tour group Chinese were gone from the streets but there were still lots of farangs around--all the many long-term expats, the winter escape Europeans, and lots of Russian families, among others.  That's a good base to start with, along with all the local Thais and visitors from Bangkok and other parts of Thailand. 

I have to laugh at the posters who claim Pattaya was dying even before the virus hit.  As has been said many times, Pattaya has not been dying but has been evolving into a different resort that draws far more visitors that do not hang out at the bars and go gos.  Many of these tourists spend the majority of their time in places like Wong Amat, Naklua, and North Pattaya and seldom go further south than Central Festival.  Walking Street?  What's that?  They're not on WS--they're at T21 and the entertainments in that area.  What is less important now to the health of Pattaya is the western male tourist, surpassed many times over by Chinese, Korean, Indian, Middle Eastern, Russian, and those from other Asian countries, many traveling as families. 

Long ago and far away, when Pattaya was a much smaller city, western male tourists were the main squeeze.  Sorry, posters, that is no longer the case.  Let's have a minute of silence and then let's finally move on from the myth of the western male importance to Pattaya's well-being. 

If you know someone who lives at Centric Sea, ask them to take you to the sky pool at Building A.  I think it's floor 45 and from there you can see forever in all four directions.  With a few exceptions here and there, just about everything you see that is 20 stories or more has been built in the last 10 to 12 years.  It's quite a lot--and it's astounding.  I remember doing just that when I lived at Centric--went to all four sides and pointed at so many highrises that weren't built when I arrived in 2010.  It really is quite amazing when you take it all in.  Just Wong Amat alone looks like a small city with all it's new towers.  None of these--and things like Terminal 21--were built for western male tourists.  Sorry, again, but that's the reality.  That's not to say that western male tourists aren't still important--they are but they are no longer the big cheese. 

When travel opens up again, whenever that might be, Pattaya will once again attract the travelers it was getting pre-virus.  Big projects like Grand Centre Point 2, apparently still going forward, will continue the trend towards family tourists, destination weddings, and young, small group travel.  Certainly it will be a slow process to pick up--as it likely will be with many other tourist destinations--but the things that were attracting large numbers of new types of tourists to Pattaya before will still be there.  

Agree with all of this - it is an evolution - areas that were small bars, shops and restaurants are being redeveloped. ScubaScuba is right - there was until the end of last year a heyday for the gogo bars - more than ever before - on LK Metro there used to be one gogo and many beer bars - now almost all of the beer bars have been converted to gogogs. Whther that will remain the case will be seen.

Leaver - in his bitterness - thinks that all there is to Pattaya is 5 or 6 tourist streets where the small bars will close down - they may do - but they will be replaced with developments like the Egde across from the Hilton on 2nd road - both of which used to be small bars and restaurants.

20200517_133533.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crobe said:

Agree with all of this - it is an evolution - areas that were small bars, shops and restaurants are being redeveloped. ScubaScuba is right - there was until the end of last year a heyday for the gogo bars - more than ever before - on LK Metro there used to be one gogo and many beer bars - now almost all of the beer bars have been converted to gogogs. Whther that will remain the case will be seen.

Leaver - in his bitterness - thinks that all there is to Pattaya is 5 or 6 tourist streets where the small bars will close down - they may do - but they will be replaced with developments like the Egde across from the Hilton on 2nd road - both of which used to be small bars and restaurants.

20200517_133533.jpg

No bitterness from me.  I have no financial interests here, and never sent money for a sick buffalo.  I am calling it as I see it.  

As I have said before, single story tin roof beer bar complexes are now a waste of land, and have been for some time.  They will be redeveloped.  

Did you go into some of the gogo's on LK Metro last high season.  I did.  Many were dead, and often.  

Of course Pattaya is more than 5 or 6 streets, but it is Central Patttaya, the CBD of Pattaya, the nightlife, that western tourists come for.  Do you think they come for Pattaya's lovely beach?  ????

Ok, so, they are building more condo's.  There has been an over supply here for years, and they are still building.  Would that make you happy if you were trying to sell your condo, or hoped your condo would appreciate in value?

Have you considered this place will be just like The Base, which has around 800 condo's, with condo's on AirBnb rented for daily rental to tourists?  Would you be happy if you owned a hotel or guest house here, knowing that's what was going to happen, with no enforcement of the law?  How many hotels and guest houses struggle now, because of daily rental at The Base?

You see a big building going up and relate that to the economic success of Pattaya, yet you don't see all the smaller businesses that big building will see close, due to no enforcement of the law.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No bitterness from me.  I have no financial interests here, and never sent money for a sick buffalo.  I am calling it as I see it.  

As I have said before, single story tin roof beer bar complexes are now a waste of land, and have been for some time.  They will be redeveloped.  

Did you go into some of the gogo's on LK Metro last high season.  I did.  Many were dead, and often.  

Of course Pattaya is more than 5 or 6 streets, but it is Central Patttaya, the CBD of Pattaya, the nightlife, that western tourists come for.  Do you think they come for Pattaya's lovely beach?  ????

Ok, so, they are building more condo's.  There has been an over supply here for years, and they are still building.  Would that make you happy if you were trying to sell your condo, or hoped your condo would appreciate in value?

Have you considered this place will be just like The Base, which has around 800 condo's, with condo's on AirBnb rented for daily rental to tourists?  Would you be happy if you owned a hotel or guest house here, knowing that's what was going to happen, with no enforcement of the law?  How many hotels and guest houses struggle now, because of daily rental at The Base?

You see a big building going up and relate that to the economic success of Pattaya, yet you don't see all the smaller businesses that big building will see close, due to no enforcement of the law.  

Come on Leaver you are very negative for a reason, what is it? disgruntled because of Immigration? police? burned by an ex? lost your pension or investments? it's definitely something, let us know

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

i am always happy to debate a topic on TV, but that gets difficult when people play the poster, and not play the post.  

I guess the reason is you only ever post on negative aspects like Pattaya RIP, Pattaya Property etc, bars restaurants closing. No other subjects, but up to you, some people do post on a very narrow subject field like bars and restaurants only

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I guess the reason is you only ever post on negative aspects like Pattaya RIP, Pattaya Property etc, bars restaurants closing. No other subjects, but up to you, some people do post on a very narrow subject field like bars and restaurants only

In case you haven't noticed, they have been the hot topics for some time now, and property is always a debatable topic.  Everyone speculating what will happen, and what the future holds for Pattaya's tourism industry. 

I post on several topics, but have you noticed if a Thai kills his wife, it gets the usual Thai bashing for a few pages, but if a foreigner kills a bar girl, the forum lights up.   I tend not to post too much on these tragic threads, only just suggesting a possible set of circumstances or motive, but many take aim with the usual "quality tourist" comments like they forget where they are living.  The availability of drugs, sex, and alcohol, and the affordability of these, draws undesirables to Pattaya. 

I am the first to admit I am not living in a nice city, but it's by choice.  Pattaya is not the place to be wearing rose colored glasses. I see Pattaya for what Pattaya is, and I post according to my knowledge, experiences, observations, and opinions.

Now, speaking very generally, I find "the boiling frog syndrome" to be very common in Pattaya. 

Also, I see you post on a lot of the threads I post on.  ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

In case you haven't noticed, they have been the hot topics for some time now, and property is always a debatable topic.  Everyone speculating what will happen, and what the future holds for Pattaya's tourism industry. 

I post on several topics, but have you noticed if a Thai kills his wife, it gets the usual Thai bashing for a few pages, but if a foreigner kills a bar girl, the forum lights up.   I tend not to post too much on these tragic threads, only just suggesting a possible set of circumstances or motive, but many take aim with the usual "quality tourist" comments like they forget where they are living.  The availability of drugs, sex, and alcohol, and the affordability of these, draws undesirables to Pattaya. 

I am the first to admit I am not living in a nice city, but it's by choice.  Pattaya is not the place to be wearing rose colored glasses. I see Pattaya for what Pattaya is, and I post according to my knowledge, experiences, observations, and opinions.

If all you can post is bitterness then probably time for a life change

Look back on your posts and take an objective view, is it just commentary or is there something underlying there that you need to fix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya CBD - lol

You think that's soi 6 or Pattayaland?

Sorry, but that's funny!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crobe said:

If all you can post is bitterness then probably time for a life change

Look back on your posts and take an objective view, is it just commentary or is there something underlying there that you need to fix

As I said, you are another one playing the poster and not the post.  I have said I am not bitter.  I have nothing to be bitter about. 

Now, the photo of the new building you posted, if it's going to be also used for daily rental, what will that do to hotels in the area? 

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Pattaya CBD - lol

You think that's soi 6 or Pattayaland?

Sorry, but that's funny!

Central Pattaya is the CBD for tourism, and tourists.  Maybe that's why there are so many hotels, restaurants and bars in Central Pattaya.  ????

Where do you think is the central area for tourists in Pattaya, the dark side?  ????