Airbus pulls out of U-Tapao airport project

webfact

40 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As already stated Airbus pulled out of the U Tapao project several weeks ago.

So it is clear Thai airways and the government are just using the virus as a face saving gimmick.

Doesn’t Airbus already have a MRO in Malaysia?  Why build another so geographically close?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Erm, not sure this is true - Airbus and Thai Airways to develop a maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facility at Rayong’s U-Tapao Airport has fallen victim to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Airbus said they were not joining this project about 7 or 8 weeks ago. I can imagine their decision had absolutely nothing to do with COVID. I am guessing it was based on the fact that THAI are losing approx 1 billlion THB / month and are being ran as a show pony by ex military / air force personnel who have little to no experience in aviation sector management.

Quite right especially that this kind of hub has already existed for several years in China and works very well.
I always wondered what Airbus had come to do in this galley that sank before going to sea.

• Like 2

The whole expansion of U Tapao makes no sense given the drastic turn of events. Every morning I see the earth movers clearing land for the second runway. This area was scrubland and a wonderful habitat for birds and other wildlife which would visit my garden. I can't see this runway being needed for a very long time. Same for the high speed rail link. Pattaya is doomed in its present state and size unless the Chinese tourists take up all the slack. So with no flights and no booming (pardon the pun) Pattaya, what's the point of an expensive rail link? Personally, I hope the whole U Tapao project gets scrapped because it was going to result in a lot of congestion, pollution and air traffic noise 24/7 over an lovely quiet area of Sattahip/Ban Chang. Already, all the main roads, and I do mean all of them at once are dug up and massively widened. The 332 makes no sense at all. Not content with ripping out all the mature trees on one side to put in 2 more lanes, they are now ripping out the trees on the other which would allow for around 10 lanes. Soon the motorway will be opened and the 332 redundant for all but local traffic by the time it is finished. Madness! None of this made any sense before and even less now, except for the contractors and the others directly involved. It is a tragedy to witness and not the first time I've witnessed the complete destruction of what was once a beautiful and tranquil part of the Thai countryside. So sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, plachon said:

Makes perfect sense. Air travel is going to decrease markedly in future years and flight costs are going to increase greatly. No more cheap, subsidised flying.  The industry will contract and the skies will become less crowded, as people holiday closer to home and more meetings are held remotely via online technology. So the MICE market and general tourism in Thailand will shrink. No bounce back to BAU, no matter what fantasists imagine that this is just a temporary blip in the economy.

That's more or less exactly what some "experts' were saying after 9/11; after 2008.

There was massive business increases in video teleconferencing after 9/11. Lasted all of a few months!

People won't go back to giving up what they like. You underestimate people's ability to quickly forget what they don't like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

THAI reasoned that Airbus was not in a position to join the venture after being hit hard by the Covid-19 crisis

Nothing to do with CV19 .. Airbus did not want their reputation sullied by association with a rag , tag and bobtail operator .. 

And THAI's ridiculous response of suggesting A B had not submitted on time underlines that .. 

Thailand could always try Comac the Chinese commercial aircraft manufacturer .. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

The mention of brown envelopes is disturbing, the PM was elected to stamp out corruption perhaps we should ask him for comment on how it is going on that front.

He'd need to ask his brother... ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

.......it WAS or it IS? This airline will never recover, it will go to the wall.and the debts written off to the taxpayers.

The government will continue to bail-out the airline... Thai flagship airline will not go to the wall.

29 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Thailand could always try Comac the Chinese commercial aircraft manufacturer .. 

Ah yes, one of their launch customers is "Ghengis Khan Airlines"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tamsam6 said:

"Airbus SAS was only private corporation which passed the THAI’s special bidding process for the MRO"

"Special bidding process"

What a singularly (in)appropriate euphemism!

• Haha 1