Johnson under fire over handling of coronavirus crisis

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, I provided you newspaper reports from the UK that report UK Government policy, one of the reports includes statements from the UK Chief Medical Officer.

When you accuse people of lying, you need to provide the evidence, not those you accuse.

You didn't provide any evidence that UK government core policy was herd immunity. If you make a claim that's untrue, it's up to you to prove otherwise. 

Herd immunity was never communicated as the core strategy by the UK government. That's my evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'm not interested in where you're from. But it seems you come from a country where newspaper opinions form government policy. 

He probably comes from a country that has a Fox news channel that guides its president on the honest and straight and narrow path.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You didn't provide any evidence that UK government core policy was herd immunity. If you make a claim that's untrue, it's up to you to prove otherwise. 

Herd immunity was never communicated as the core strategy by the UK government. That's my evidence. 

So if they did it but didnt say they did it, then they didnt do it.

Regardless of what they say, their actions show the truth.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Sorry, it doesn’t work like that.

You posted the ‘data’, it clearly does not include the UK’s 41% upward correction of the death count and you used this ‘data’ to argue the UK government is ‘doing a good job’.

The issue is, the ‘data’ is clearly out of date  and does not support your argument.

The data DOES include the UK reported deaths until April 22.

https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/blob/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_time_series/time_series_covid19_confirmed_global.csv

My (John Hopkins University's) data is CLEARLY not out of date.

Again, if you have issues with their data, contact THEM.

Edited by Forethat

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

“Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it. Those are the key things we need to do.”

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-science-chief-defends-uk-measures-criticism-herd-immunity

• Like 1

NHS, is heading towards bankruptcy , they will be sued for negligence, by relatives of the deceased front line health workers .

Edited by elliss

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

If the UK is doing so great, how come European WHO officials are panicking about the UK's poor performance in stemming new cases?:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8227031/Britains-coronavirus-infection-rate-frightening-European-policymakers-Austria-warns.html

27274684-8227031-A_graph_showing_the_number_of_new_infections_in_various_countrie-a-73_1587087650661.jpg

Who said that the UK is doing so great??

5 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

On Friday, the UK government’s chief science adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, said on BBC Radio 4 that one of “the key things we need to do” is to “build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission.”

www.vox.com/world/2020/3/15/21180414/coronavirus-uk-herd-immunity-vallance-johnson

That was one opinion from Vallance, and it did cause some confusion. But 2 days later the government clarified that herd immunity was not the policy:

But on Sunday, Matt Hancock, the UK secretary of state for health and social care, stressed that achieving herd immunity to Covid-19 is not a stated policy

“What we will do is listen to all the credible scientists and we will look at all the evidence,” he said. “Herd immunity is not our goal or policy, it’s a scientific concept.”

https://www.vox.com/world/2020/3/15/21180414/coronavirus-uk-herd-immunity-vallance-johnson

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, the UK didn't decide on a policy of herd immunity. I don't know why the anti-Boris brigade keep wheeling out this lie. 

i just stumbled across a video of Boris but there is no link, and i do not think TV will allow me to air it.

they are calling it a smoking gun? Boris talks about a superman type country ? that stands alone and goes into the phone box and comes out a super hero ??? it does not look good for any one involved ? 

if it is admissible i think he could go to Jail, but he was or seemed to be playing out some crazy strategy, but i was shocked at his words and what they seemed to imply...i doubt any advisers came up with this stuff. for his and our sake i hope it is some kind of joke. unbelievable.

( had friend request on Facebook and the video came up a bit further on)

Edited by zoza

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

"Speaking Radio Four's Today programme on Friday, chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said: "Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission."

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/matt-hancock-insists-herd-immunity-not-part-of-governments-plan-for-tackling-coronavirus

On 4/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, CG1 Blue said:

He followed the government advisors, SAGE and NERVTAG. That is quite the opposite of picking the ones he liked the sound of. 

As with many Scots, some very good friends of mine, this situation is just being used as a chance to bash Boris. It's not really a surprise you're laying into him right now. 

Remember, the Scottish government went along with the same strategy. All 4 governments of the UK did. 

Interesting that you bring up SAGE.

The Secretive Group Guiding the U.K. on Coronavirus

The British government frequently says it’s “guided by the science,” but the members of its scientific advisory group, SAGE, are a secret.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/world/europe/uk-coronavirus-sage-secret.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

18 minutes ago, zoza said:

i just stumbled across a video of Boris but there is no link, and i do not think TV will allow me to air it.

they are calling it a smoking gun? Boris talks about a superman type country ? that stands alone and goes into the phone box and comes out a super hero ??? it does not look good for any one involved ? 

if it is admissible i think he could go to Jail, but he was or seemed to be playing out some crazy strategy, but i was shocked at his words and what they seemed to imply...i doubt any advisers came up with this stuff. for his and our sake i hope it is some kind of joke. unbelievable.

( had friend request on Facebook and the video came up a bit further on)

Lol, yes I saw that too, Boris used that superman analogy in free trade, how the UK was superman about to liberate the world, while he was begging the EU to buy his haddock all the while...

The man is funny, you gotta give him that.

Love that guy.

22 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Lol, yes I saw that too, Boris used that superman analogy in free trade, how the UK was superman about to liberate the world, while he was begging the EU to buy his haddock all the while...

The man is funny, you gotta give him that.

Love that guy.

He seemed to be saying by him going down the '' herd immunity'' road and the people of the UK Would be paying the price for the ''superman tag'' you know let your Gran die and you loose less money..but not very funny for Gran.

do  many other Tories think like that?

Edited by zoza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

This is indeed absolutely incontrovertible evidence, and tragic and comical in its content.

Boris Johnson set out his heroic vision of a Superman among countries, the UK, that would not lock down "beyond what was medically rational" but would instead continue to exchange goods and do business as usual.

Only for this Superman then to go into hiding, and do a total lock down. Superman got cold feet and went into hiding.

Not so much Clark Kent as Greta Garbo.

Boris wanted so hard for Britain to be a Superman, but he had to face reality and let it be the only thing it could be, Invisible Boy. Hiding in the shadows.

Instead it was Sweden that turned out to have the courage to be that Superman, that Champion that would not lock down. How tragic, how comical, when a man's ambitions are so thwarted by the mediocrity of his means.

He wanted Britain to be Superman, but nature didn't make her that way.

Nature didn't make anyone that way. Sweden is now No.10 in the mortality rate table.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Nature didn't make anyone that way. Sweden is now No.10 in the mortality rate table.

And on the way to herd immunity, should be reached next month. They had the balls BJ lacked.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There is also something very wrong with Sweden’s reporting of infections.

Their reported death rate is way too high for their reported infections.

I suppose, like everyone else (including the UK), they don't want to admit anything that might be construed as an error.

It looks like nearly every government has got this wrong in one way or another and to varying degrees.   

• Like 1