Pandemic dims lights on Thailand's $5bn nightlife sector

webfact

Pandemic dims lights on Thailand's $5bn nightlife sector

Government plans aid for bars and restaurants, but recovery prospects uncertain

MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

NL.jpg

The coronavirus has brought Bangkok's world-famous nightlife to a pause.  (Photo by Akira Kodaka) 

BANGKOK -- These are hard times for Thailand's vaunted nightlife industry.

Nightclubs and bars, which contribute more than $5.5 billion a year to the overall economy, are the country's hidden "dollar box." But regulations that went into effect in late March to halt the spread of the new coronavirus are delivering a body blow to establishments, with cries of despair increasingly heard from proprietors.

"The coronavirus is going to kill the bar business," said Nutthapon, a 37-year-old manager of one establishment in Bangkok. From March 22, restaurants in the city's greater metropolitan area were banned from offering anything other than takeout or delivery services. The edict was expanded on March 26 to include the entire country.

"I need to pay rent and my employees' salaries," said Nutthapon. "Right now, I'm getting by through breaking into my savings. But I don't know if I can survive for two more months."

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Pandemic-dims-lights-on-Thailand-s-5bn-nightlife-sector

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2020-04-24

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

These land-based cruise ships will be the last thing to open here. 

Time for the ladies and lads to get used to working on their feet.

And here,s me thinking most of their work was done on their backs.........:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Restaurants only allowed to give "take out food" to stop social gatherings ?  but Street markets here in East pattaya allowed to trade  with  hundreds of customers daily, many without masks a haven to any virus..

2 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

The fight of the fittest.

Well run establishments with savings, will survive. Bars with less number of regular customers (often due to lack of quality hostesses), will go down. They had it coming any way. Old fat hostesses who play with their phones, doesn't attract customers.

Less than half might survive if this last 6 months. Remains will be bought by big brother chinese, and lots of new hostesses ????

But will they get it, or will they just go back to opening a bar, next to a bar that is next to another bar that is across the soi from many other bars.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jadee said:

Out of interest, what are all the women doing now? Gone back to the farm or started working online? (...asking for a friend...)

My favorite massage woman is far away back in the village, catching fish and eating mangos.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It's going to be interesting to see  if and when things go back  to normal if ever ! I guess you will see farangs buying bars and thinking they will make a fortune again only time will tell

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It´s great like it is. They can concentrate on creating more regular work for the people who lost it instead.

Such as?

Who is going to create work for a 40 year old brass that does groups of Indians to feed their family in Isaan?

The only things that 'create jobs' in this country are the bureaucracy and foreign investment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2