Shower ELSD won’t Reset

regedit

ELSD Light started coming on when temperature dial is more than 1/3 of the way around and will only reset if temp dial is set at less than 1/3 of the way. Water flow is good, no blockages, and no obvious signs of damage or intruders inside the box. No recent changes to water or electric supply. Stiebel Eltron unit c. 6-8 years old.

Is it likely dead or more costly to replair than replace ?

Still safe to use at temperature where ELSD remains off ?

Anything else worth checking ?

Thanks.

It's possible it's the actual RCD board in the shower but getting a replacement may be problematic.

In reality, it's probably going to be more cost effective to replace the complete unit.

Is it safe to use? That's up to you of course. If it is a good earth it's likely OK, but I wouldn't.

Do you have a local appliance repair chap? It wouldn't hurt to let him have a look at it.

With the current weather do you need hot water?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

As of now, it is considered a non essential item.

So, when the restrictions are lifted buy a new one.

You can buy them off Lazada,Shoppee, just bought one the other day,

delivered in 2 days, there's a big selection and could be cheaper than a store.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It’s easy enough to buy a new one today, if you know which one you want. Virtually everyone is doing collections and payment from the rear or font of the store. Order online or from the staff, they get it, you pay, often by bank transfer 

• Like 1

When it comes to electrical stuff in Thailand, you are probably better off buying a new unit than risking what could happen with a faulty unit.

I've seen some scary rats nests of wiring connections just above roof panels that had me seriously considering buying a large fire extinguisher (not for the electrical fire but for everything around where it would have likely started).

In another place I was having a problem with a circuit breaker always popping off when the only thing drawing power was a small light on the patio. Had an "electrician" come in - he (carefully) disconnected the 2 wires (he said there was no need to turn the main power off as he'd be "careful" - standing on a metal ladder in bare feet) and when he went to remove the circuit breaker, it just crumbled in his fingers. Cheap made in China <deleted>. There were a couple other similar breakers in there so I had him change those out at the same time.

The humidity here will cause things to corrode at the best of times, let alone something that's in a place like a bathroom. Trying to fix something like the circuit board in an old water heater would be problematic, even for the manufacturer (as it could be they haven't had that model, or parts for it, for years). Obviously you unit won't be covered by a warranty either so it could be an expensive option with little or no result.

Local appliance repair shops ? Not likely to have replacement parts either so will be more likely to cannibalize something else and then try to jury rig a repair. 

For piece of mind, get a new one. As mentioned, Lazada has a large selection and they still deliver. Installing it will be a breeze as all you probably will need is a #2 Philips screwdriver. 

Keep in mind, the higher the wattage of the new heater - the hotter the water you'll get and the higher your electrical bill will be !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

"As of now, it is considered a non essential item"

That depends on where you're staying. 

• Like 2

Buy a new one!  If the RCD is working then it is seeing an imbalance in Live and Neutral currents which is most likely the heating element down to earth.  If the onboard RCD is faulty ... Beyond economical repair.  8 years old! ..  Ditch it get new.

• Like 1

Had a problem with our unit that’s 3 years old wouldn’t reset. 

Been knocked on my ass two times 40 years ago I don’t try messing 

with electric...

the local buy came around took cover off...  a gecko was the problem. I recently bought the in-laws a unit not expensive at all.

why do they call them in-laws instead Outlaws ..... 555

Could be the heating element is faulty. So when your thermostat is set low no power is going to the heating element so the rcd doesn't operate.

When you turn up the thermostat to heat the water, power goes to the faulty element and the rcd trips, this what it supposed to do.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:55 PM, Zillod said:

Buy a new one!  If the RCD is working then it is seeing an imbalance in Live and Neutral currents which is most likely the heating element down to earth.  If the onboard RCD is faulty ... Beyond economical repair.  8 years old! ..  Ditch it get new.

Absolutely, only cutting off when really hot, or a connection near the heater unit. Had a friend who's oven kept tripping rcd but only when really hot, there was a plastic connector inside touching the outside cover. 

I have been very satisfied with the repair service of Stiebel Eltron. I could see clearly on the repair estimate and the receipt which parts they replaced on two multipoint units I had purchased in 2008 at Home Mega Mart in Buriram. I have bought both multi point and one on the wall unit, the XG Dortmung 4500 watt unit from Ruangsangthai in Buriram. The PC of this  brand in most stores are trained better than many hot water heater brands. I check the price on Lazada and more often than not, the price is lower where I shop.  The service process is simple if you buy a hot water heater from a dealer with a real repair department in my experience. Just like where you buy a water pump does matter when it comes time for service. In Buriram Y & J Electric is the official warranty repair facility for Hitachi, Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic, Krups, TFal, Haier, small and large appliances. I know from personal experience what major brands do not really have enough repair staff or not enough repair contract stations.  Some brands of appliances are happy to sell you the product, but are unable to come to Buriram for repair work. One day a month, 2nd Tuesday of the month, is not an acceptable repair policy in my experience. Some stores have never closed a day, but have taken PPE seriously during this health crisis. 

Buriram Isaan Stiebel Eltron Water Heater Installation.jpg

Edited by kamalabob2