Foreigners caught on Pattaya beach face year in jail or heavy fines, says police chief

rooster59

Is it possible that who ever (really) wrote the headline assumed, as it is in English, that it would make more sense to just mention foreigners ? I looked at the original story on the Sophon site and it appears to be a Google Translate hack job, which someone tidied up to make the original post.

For example: "The City of pattaya found 23 violators announced such orders and prosecuted. Both Thais and foreigners."
Note the link in the OP takes you to the article which itself is in English (though other articles further down are in Thai).
https://www.facebook.com/406896552664618/posts/3124000950954151/?d=n

So I wouldn't be blaming the Thais for that headline.

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

people generally have no problem following rules if they make sense 

e.g.

Chonburi Governor has ordered that all people out during the day must walk using one leg only or face one year in jail

Wait ! This is ThaiVisa so of course "but my case if different than everyone else's even though it's exactly the same". 

What if I only have one leg to begin with ? 
What if I'm in a wheelchair ? 
But I already only use "one leg" ! One leg steps then comes up just as the other leg contacts the ground so that I only ever (usually) have just one leg on the ground at a time !
But, but, I'm "left-legged" and can't walk on my right leg only !
But does this apply to everyone ? Why should I have to obey, I'm not Thai ? 
What if I'm only walking around in front of my house, on odd numbered days, while wearing different coloured sandals ? Does that mean I have to follow the rules too ?

1 hour ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Shhh.... leave my market alone. I would starve if that market closed. My wife is there as we speak buying me Khao pad gung and cha manao for my lunch. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. 555

Can't your wife or you cook?

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why wouldn't’ a 5000 bht fine simply be enough ? Now it smell like another jetski scam ! 

btw a crowed elevator is much more dangerous then a beach walk.

Not another one....

5000 baht fine would be brushed off by the relatively wealthy. So that would discriminate against poor people. So better to discourage them with a hefty fine or possible jail.

Then people are more likely to weigh it up the pros and cons and stay off the beach. If you don't like them rules, find another place.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

This is discrimination based on racism  Its against the law. My ex girlfriends entire family are on the beach right now and everyday.  Boogie boarding, fishing, etc... Oh, her husband is chinese? Guess thats ok. Any police listening to this, want details. Pm me????

Yes but i suppose your talking about a beach along the Amazon,near the logging camp where you live ,so i does not really apply here.Sorry on re -reading your post you said ex g/f so she is still in THailand,not in the logging/wildcat goldminers place in Brazil.

Edited by marko kok prong
extra words

3 hours ago, actonion said:

Why "can't" you congregate at the beach, but you "can" at any Street Market in East Pattaya which is far more busy than the beach? especially  the market in Soi Siam Country Club

a quick trip to the market on soi wat boon and its that packed the car park is full, so the late crowd have to park across the road ....social distance???? most do not seem to understand, but if you have a stroll along the beach (exercise) and you stop for a rest ...a year in Jail...is it some kind of joke? 

called into a laundry yesterday four teenagers a man and his wife, and i had to signal to the lady that i did not want to join the scrum, she eventually came out to serve me. if they impose these rules to locals the Jails will be full by the time it gets dark.  

Edited by zoza

Just now, Just1Voice said:

Yes, both ARRESTED, but the way the article is written makes it sound like ONLY the farang were fined. 

Yes, but that is probably the fault of whoever (on ThaiVisa) wrote the headline as that is NOT what it says on the Sophon site itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Excellent cooks don't need to go to the market to buy meals they cook at home

They do if they're too lazy or too busy. Home made gai pad mit mamuang tonight, lunch from the market. Also had to go to the market for some of the ingredients for tonight's meal. Problem?

Edited by Phil McCaverty

55 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Not another one....

5000 baht fine would be brushed off by the relatively wealthy. So that would discriminate against poor people. So better to discourage them with a hefty fine or possible jail.

Then people are more likely to weigh it up the pros and cons and stay off the beach. If you don't like them rules, find another place.

The chance to get corona in a jail is much bigger then on a beach !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was gonna ask, as I have always been fascinated with the choice of jail or paying a fine. Of course a lot depends on your financial situation, but given a choice of 100,000 baht fine or 1 year in jail, I would undoubtedly opt for the fine.

What would you do?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

The chance to get corona in a jail is much bigger then on a beach !

Exactly. Makes you think twice about lounging on the beach, doesn't it?

One day in jail would be too much. The beach thing won't last forever and we aren't referring to people on two week holidays. So why can't people just show solidarity for this short period?

It will make everyone around them, including the authorities, less anxious.

But as usual, there are always those who think they know better...

3 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I was gonna ask, as I have always been fascinated with the choice of jail or paying a fine. Of course a lot depends on your financial situation, but given a choice of 100,000 baht fine or 1 year in jail, I would undoubtedly opt for the fine.

What would you do?

Offer half for cash. Always works for me with the police.

3 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Offer half for cash. Always works for me with the police.

True, got stopped on my bike recently and was asked for 2000 baht - noisy exhaust, normally they ask for 500, so I was shocked.

So I started whimpering, crying, and opened my wallet to show how little I had, pleaded with them to let a stupid farang off with a little fine, all in my perfect English.

Ended up coughing up 500 baht.

Bastids

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thais are exempt

I guess you didn't read the original article in Thai. It says nothing about Thais being exempt. This is just Thai visa's heading, used to stir up the moaning masses in TV. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

2500 Baht in Pattaya City, announced to much fanfare a year or two back. 

Well that's 7.5k for the poor and needy. Hang on they are the poor and needy!

Don't forget that these guys are getting virtually no kickbacks ATM with all the bars closed and no farangs in town, on minimum wage too. Have some sympathy for them, they have families to feed too.

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Why not include Thais in the title or are they exempt from jail and/or heavy fines?

Because Thais are the chosen people and above reproach while foreigners are uniformly evil and all have only one goal which is to harm Thailand - just ask any upper level government official - all foreigners are a risk to Thai National Security.  Therefore, all foreigners must be made to look like evil scum in media releases and the police must be made out to be the saviours of Prathet Thai protecting the vulnerable Thai citizens against the scourge of the West.
Thai good; foreigner bad.  It's that simple.

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Why not include Thais in the title or are they exempt from jail and/or heavy fines?

As far as I can translate from the source of the post, it makes no specific mention of foreigners. It's yet another example of the news team choosing to emphasise us nasty foreigners. Odd thing to do when the overwhelming number of your readers are foreigners, but that has been the trend recently. I'm not aware of any other organisation that chooses to insult its readership.

Edited by Bangkok Barry