Moving to Koh Samui With Family - Best Place to Live?

Hello,

My wife and I are both able to work remotely for the foreseeable future, so we'd like to take advantage and move to Koh Samui for a few months (4-6), along with our 6 month old boy. We're currently living in NY and the cost doesn't make sense.

Our overall monthly budget for housing, transport and food is about 150,000 Baht, we're specifically interested in living in a part of the island that is more upscale, clean and quiet. We've never been to Koh Samui but I've done some research, hoping to get some insights from expats here. 

Thank in advance!

• Haha 1

If possible I'd strongly suggest first going to Koh Samui before living there full time. The main tourist area is Chaweng Beach. It is not upscale but it is my personal favorite for vacation purposes due to convivence of shopping and restaurants. Basically the further you get from this area the more peaceful it is. Some areas are upscale with houses overlooking the sea high in the hills but I find those areas boring and inconvenient. If you can drive however this might be an option. 

There is another smaller town with what is called Big Buddha in Wat Phra Yai Ko Fan. That is less densely populated but has more walkable amenities. 

I enjoy Koh Samui to visit but personally probably wouldn't want to live there. Right now it is great, very few tourists but it can get swamped with tourists looking for Full Moon parities and places to vlog on their rented motorbikes. You'd find that less in the remote areas but again those are too far removed for my tastes. You also will need to consider visa options. Given your timeframe a Multi-entry tourist visa sounds appropriate but be aware immigration can at any time refuse entry on these if they think you are "living in Thailand" while using them. What exactly that means is up to them. If you live modestly your budget should be no problem.

Edited by wasabi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the moment the island is in lockdown due to the Corona virus. No flights in or out. 

Hopefully restriction might be partially lifted soon, but who knows?

Traffic can be a problem in some parts. If you want really quiet, look at the west coast around Thong Krut - Lipa Noi. The tradeoff being that you are farther away from the airport and facilities such as supermarkets, cinemas etc. Although  Nathon isn't too far away.

Choengmon or Plai Laem might be what you are looking for, but looking for somewhere clean in Samui is subjective. Rubbish removal, trash to you Americans, is a real problem here and the streets can sometimes look tatty.

But if you are working remotely, internet is pretty good, and there are some beautiful places to rent, and lots of great food (once the  restaurants are allowed to open again.)

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

150,000 per month won’t get you far if you want to live upscale rent alone will exceed 50,000 per month then you have medical costs , car rental , food etc so it won’t be a life of luxury that your hoping for and in three years time when your child has to go to school that again will cost even more money . Maybe it would be a good idea to take an extended holiday for three months before selling up in NY you might get a different outlook and don’t forget visa issues you may have dependent on your age but if you have a young child I assume you are in your 30s early 40s life’s not always greener on the other side of the fence and one thing is don’t even contemplate moving this year due to this pandemic we are still in lockdown and worse still you are not allowed to even buy alcohol anywhere which is total madness.

Edited by crazykopite

I think there are better places to live in Thailand. Personally found the place a dump. One road around the island and everybody driving to fast. The sea wasn’t very warm and not very clean. People overcharging especially taxis. Basically stuck there with only way off the island the ferry or overpriced planes.

Check out Ao Yon on Phuket. Lovely beach, sea like a bath, very clean.....not many tourists. Pretty quiet area. Good to have a car because the taxis here also overcharge to the point Thais from Bangkok complain. Two large Malls for shopping about twenty minutes away by car. Lots of nice beaches around the island. You can drive off the island over the bridge, or fly to Bangkok as cheap as $25 one way. Some good restaurants in town. Some very nice houses to rent or buy. I can hook you up with an American friend there for houses etc. It is more expensive than many areas of the country. Lived there for three years and had no real complaints. Would swim the length of the beach a couple of times morning and evening. Good friends there. There is always somewhere better, but difficult to find in a short time in the country. Good luck.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

The OP (opening poster) asked for recommendations regarding where to live on Koh Samui.

The OP did not ask if a grammatically-challenged troll could recommend cities in other countries.

Weapons-grade idiocy.

I think you meant grammar challenged. The way you stated it was incorrect. The OP stated he never been to Samui, only researched it, "We've never been to Koh Samui but I've done some research, hoping to get some insights from expats here" I'm surprised you didn't correct the OP for stating here instead of there. Actually the OP may be open with regards to a solid recommendation. Though that should be left up to the OP to decide, yes? I wasn't aware that there were people policing the responses to make sure they stayed exactly on point to the exact question presented and therefore not allowed to offer an alternative or suggestion, which the OP may find beneficial to him and his family. Amazing Samui, and it's people...I'm not impressed, just saying. TGIF