Healthy again, Johnson says too risky to relax lockdown yet

snoop1130

Healthy again, Johnson says too risky to relax lockdown yet

By Guy Faulconbridge, Kate Holton

bvnvhb.PNG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks outside 10 Downing Street after recovering from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), London, Britain, April 27, 2020. REUTERS/John Sibley

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson returned to work on Monday after recovering from COVID-19 with a warning that it was still too dangerous to relax a stringent lockdown hammering Britain’s economy for fear of a deadly second outbreak.

Looking healthy again after a life-threatening bout of the coronavirus, Johnson compared the disease to an invisible street criminal whom Britons were wrestling to the floor.

“If we can show the same spirit of unity and determination as we’ve all shown in the past six weeks then I have absolutely no doubt that we will beat it,” the 55-year-old said outside his Downing Street home a month and a day after testing positive.

“I ask you to contain your impatience because I believe we are coming now to the end of the first phase of this conflict and in spite of all the suffering we have so nearly succeeded.”

With unemployment soaring, many companies crippled and a recession looming, Johnson said he understood the concerns of business and would consult with opposition parties pressing for clarity on a pathway out of lockdown.

But with Britain suffering one of the world’s highest death tolls - 20,732 hospital deaths reported as of Saturday - he stressed it was still a time of maximum risk and there would be no swift lifting of restrictions.

“We simply cannot spell out now how fast or slow or even when those changes will be made, though clearly the government will be saying much more about this in the coming days,” he said.

“We must also recognise the risk of a second spike, the risk of losing control of that virus and letting the reproduction rate go back over one because that would mean not only a new wave of death and disease but also an economic disaster.”

The most stringent lockdown in peacetime has left Britain facing possibly the deepest recession in three centuries and the biggest debt splurge since World War Two.

Johnson’s government, party and scientific advisers are divided over how and when the world’s fifth-largest economy should start returning to work, even in limited form.

CRITICISM

The government is next due to review social distancing measures on May 7. Johnson initially resisted introducing the lockdown but then changed course when projections showed a quarter of a million people could die.

Since the lockdown on March 23, his government has faced criticism from opposition parties and some doctors for initially delaying measures, limited testing capabilities, and lack of protective equipment for health workers.

Opposition Labour Party leader Keir Starmer urged Johnson to set out when and how economic and social restrictions might be eased - as did some Conservative Party donors.

“Simply acting as if this discussion is not happening is not credible,” Starmer wrote in a letter to Johnson.

Perhaps to meet that criticism, Johnson said his government would take the decisions on the lockdown with “maximum possible transparency”. “I want to share all our working and our thinking, my thinking, with you the British people,” he said.

Latest data on Sunday showed deaths related to COVID-19 in hospitals were up by 413 in the previous 24 hours, the lowest daily rise this month. Some 29,058 tests were done on April 25.

Based on those statistics, the United Kingdom has the fifth worst death toll in the world, after the United States, Italy, Spain and France.

But the full British toll is much higher as statistics for deaths outside hospital - for example in care homes - are slower to be published.

However, Stephen Powis, medical director of the National Health Service in England, said the “very definite” downward trend in coronavirus cases in hospital demonstrated that social distancing was reducing virus transmission and spread.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-27

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

The poor bloke can't win either way. If he'd popped up sporting a short-back-and-sides the usual culprits would no doubt bleat at his new barnett while barbers & salons remain closed to everyone else...????

Indeed. 

Likewise, TVs resident freedom fighters and tin foil hatters are all a bit discombobulated right now their conservative darling in the UK is making decisions based on science, fact and not giving any treatment advice that involves raiding laundry cupboard. 

Anyhoo, good to see you back Boris. Hope you are fully recovered. 

Edited by samran
  • Haha 2

I think all the leaders know if they relax too early, Trump excluded, even with all of us at our maximum, we've had enough level, I mean how much can a Koala bear, they don't want a 2nd hit because it will be game over for all and China would win hands down, and we can't have that, $hit no, well until the next round of games in a decade ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Now, back to the subject matter,

Although very slow to respond to this pandemic, he is right, far too early to even think about 

lifting the pedal.

I honestly believe that if restrictions are lifted in the UK it could turn into more of a disaster  

But with his friends and donors pleading with him to allow a resumption of commerce, he needs to chart a path that will see his key support mollified while creating a plausible explanation for the masses to convince them that he puts public health above the concerns of a small group of rich men. That will be a tricky proposition, especially with ongoing revelations about government chicanery and incompetence in the management of the virus response eroding public trust in him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Now, back to the subject matter,

Although very slow to respond to this pandemic, he is right, far too early to even think about 

lifting the pedal.

I honestly believe that if restrictions are lifted in the UK it could turn into more of a disaster  

Sooner or later the pedal must be lifted - not just for the sake of the economy and public sanity, but also to enable the spread of herd immunity. The alternative is for a protracted series of lockdowns and lifts equivalent to death by a thousand cuts.

There is going to be a second phase once people are allowed out and about, with most of those affected likely to suffer to no lasting harm. The opposite is true for countless thousands of residents of care homes woefully lacking in trained medical staff and facilities.

Unless they are properly protected this time around, the next cull of our elderly could prove even more catastrophic than the first. If this happens, Boris must be called to account and made to explain why.

• Like 1

Boris will be on form in time for tomorrow's PMQs, reminding the electorate who's (still) running the show and that any credible alternative is at least a generation away. Starmer will be rumbled for the novice that he is & the best Blackford can wish for is that Skype fails at 1155hrs BST ????

Edited by evadgib

55 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Boris will be on form in time for tomorrow's PMQs, reminding the electorate who's (still) running the show and that any credible alternative is at least a generation away. Starmer will be rumbled for the novice that he is & the best Blackford can wish for is that Skype fails at 1155hrs BST ????

I hope he will be better prepared than Victoria Atkins was this morning. Much as I despise virtually everything about her politics, it was excruciating watching her gross ineptitude on full display, not just on the BBC but ITV too. But then, what should we expect from a cabinet of, at very best, mediocre individuals led by a lying, cheating clown. 

Thankfully, the fallout from last night's Panorama expose is gaining momentum. Let's hope Starmer and Blackford highlight the many examples of criminal incompetence it raised. 

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I hope he will be better prepared than Victoria Atkins was this morning. Much as I despise virtually everything about her politics, it was excruciating watching her gross ineptitude on full display, not just on the BBC but ITV too. But then, what should we expect from a cabinet of, at very best, mediocre individuals led by a lying, cheating clown. 

Thankfully, the fallout from last night's Panorama expose is gaining momentum. Let's hope Starmer and Blackford highlight the many examples of criminally incompetence it raised. 

Not seen & I can't say that i've ever heard of her but will take a look. Let me guess, Morgan? Even Lord Sugar had very publicly turned on him yesterday in an interview on talkradio...

Panorama lost all credibility when John Sweeney scored this spectacular own goal that ultimately cost him his job. Joe Public have long realized MSM can no longer be trusted & I for one can see the licence fee being scrapped & the BBC overhauled during this parliament.

Edited by evadgib

With hindsight, and with all the pitfall's the opposition are creating, does anyone really believe that Labour or Lib Dems would of achieved a better response, I don't think so, The UK and many other countries were not prepared for such an epidemic, which is not surprising, Britain is proud of its NHS, and more spending may of been required, but if it had wharehouse's full of equipment never to be used, then opposition would have created more complaints on Government spending.

I dare say Boris will prepare for another outbreak in the future, should China deliberatly repeat the virus, in retaliation for not accepting their denials.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Not seen & I can't say that i've ever heard of her but will take a look. Let me guess, Morgan? Even Lord Sugar had very publicly turned on him yesterday in an interview on talkradio...

Panorama lost all credibility when John Sweeney scored this spectacular own goal that ultimately cost him his job. Joe Public have long realized MSM can no longer be trusted & I for one can see the licence fee being scrapped & the BBC overhauled during this parliament.

I have now seen the GMB interview. When I reached the point when Morgan tried the ol' 'Stop Laughing' ruse I realized I had made the right call in the above post & realized there was no point in watching the rest of the interview. This is the third Morgan-esque live rugby-tackle of Govt ministers seen in less than a fortnight (two of whom were female. The bloke's a bully who's main concern is his own popularity via his twitter feed!).

Thanks for flagging that up RR.

41 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I believe I have a reasonably balanced twitter feed rather than an echo changer, but I see nothing but outrage this morning about the Panorama program. I am not sure that Johnson will be able to duck this one so easily. 

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I believe I have a reasonably balanced twitter feed rather than an echo changer, but I see nothing but outrage this morning about the Panorama program. I am not sure that Johnson will be able to duck this one so easily. 

I can't comment as I haven't seen it and won't be bothering as explained. The BBC are very good at much of what they do, but their politics and news are misleading to say the least and haven't been accurate or trusted for more than a decade.

Edited by evadgib

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I can't comment as I haven't seen it and won't be bothering as explained. The BBC are very good at much of what they do, but their politics and news are misleading to say the least and haven't been accurate or trusted for more than a decade.

So which news source do you trust?

his rating is still good desite the carpers ..there is no manual of how to deal witha pandemic known to man ... germanys gone back into lockdown as they have ballsed it up and they were supposed to be the know it alls of low numbers

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 6:26 PM, RuamRudy said:

It seems I made the right call.