THAI denies flights will be cancelled for 4 months after May 31

webfact

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think 4 months is still very, VERY optimistic about flights beginning.

And maybe longer if Thailand keeps their demands of insurance and certain tests/certificates which you cannot get

Your optimism comes from common sense joined up thinking.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

When the head of the air force is also the Minister of Economics, your country is going to turn into Myanmar.

No. The way that Thailand is going, the country will soon be surpassed by the ever improving Myanmar!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Gives you the impression that Thai is part of the air force and we are all flying in some type of a military planes...

I was thinking the same thing first time I have ever heard a civilian airline called a squadron

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RemyDog said:

My concern is that THAI may well be bankrupt

Not going to happen.  Huge loss of face internationally.  Plus too many well connected Thais get freebie flights.  Also a huge source of trough money.  The ‘government’ will continue to bail Thai Airways out with taxpayers money.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

THAI denies flights will be cancelled for 4 months after May 31

Of course they would Deny that .But is it Possible that they don't  have to deny that because they Might not be there anymore? :wai:

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Gives you the impression that Thai is part of the air force and we are all flying in some type of a military planes...

Not unusual for military trained personnel to then go on to careers in civil aviation once their military service term ends.

I know quite a few Americans, Aussies and Brits who qualified as pilots in the military and then moved to civil aviation. 

Airlines use military designations for flight crew. And senior military officers often retain the rank title in civilian life.

Guess you've never flown in a military plane.

42 minutes ago, Mike k said:

I was thinking the same thing first time I have ever heard a civilian airline called a squadron

Lo! The gentleman has retained his rank title of Squadron Leader (Major equivalent). 

Civilian airlines aren't called a squadron in the article.

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

"Squadron Leader Soradej Namruangsri said in his capacity as the airline’s executive vice president for operations. Soradej is also acting executive vice president of THAI’s corporate strategy and sustainable development"

The government thinks that because this guy knows how to fly planes it qualifies him to be in charge of operations and strategy for a mult-million dollar business that happens to fly planes.

The military thinks that the core competency for running an airline company is being able to fly a plane. When really it is experience, skills and knowledge about business. 

When the head of the air force is also the Minister of Economics, your country is going to turn into Myanmar.

Guess what, in an air force not all officers are pilots. Some never even qualify as pilots. Some actually are involved in strategy, managing and directing operations, maintenance and supply etc etc etc. All the activities needed to keep air craft flying; and not forgetting air traffic control.

Strategy is the responsibility of the CEO and the board, not one VP.

I guess you have zero experience of an airline or military aviation other than buying a ticket, boarding and disembarking!

6 hours ago, OKF said:

However this is not a killer virus, it's 'figures' are well below the influenza epedemic 2017, so what r we talking about?

Not quite.... The U.S. is already above 60K deaths officially and heading considerably higher, with new deaths lately averaging about 2K a day.

April 29 (Reuters) - U.S. deaths from the novel coronavirus topped 60,000 on Wednesday and the outbreak will soon be deadlier than any flu season since 1967, according to a Reuters tally.

America's worst flu season in recent years was in 2017-2018 when more than 61,000 people died, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html.

The only deadlier flu seasons were in 1967 when about 100,000 Americans died, 1957 when 116,000 died and the Spanish flu of 1918 when 675,000 died, according to the CDC.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-coronavirus-outbreak-soon-deadlier-195111704.html

And add to the above, there's been considerable reporting this past week that the official death count numbers in the U.S. for the current pandemic likely are undercounting the real CV death toll by varying large extents. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/accurate-us-coronavirus-death-count-experts-off-tens/story?id=70385359

How accurate is the US coronavirus death count? Some experts say it's off by 'tens of thousands'

To get an accurate picture of the pandemic, US needs to test more of the dead.

UK Government Ministers now talking about introducing two weeks quarantine as part of the next stage of the fight against the Covid 19 - same as Thailand already has.  Until we have a vaccine I think quarantine could become normal across the world.  If correct then we will see a resumption of flights but at a very significantly reduced frequency.  Some people, like me, would be willing to accept two weeks quarantine for what they considered absolutely essential flights but the Tourism Industry would be all but dead.  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Squadron Leader Soradej Namruangsri said in his capacity as the airline’s executive vice president for operations. Soradej is also acting executive vice president of THAI’s corporate strategy and sustainable development.

Oh I am just sure he has a PHD or MBA in business administration. Why are the clowns aloud to be in any corporation or organization.  

4 hours ago, aussienam said:

Not sure which country you are from, but prior to the closures, I had rushed to get a COVID19 test in Australia, albeit having to pay about 2000 Baht equivalent at the time.  I also found an international expat insurer that covers for COVID19 as part of its health insurance cover.  Not cheap and adds a very significant cost to being an expat in Thailand.  I missed the close-off date unfortunately.  

But it seems that it is the only way to come back for me.  I hope that it Thailand allows expats back who have proof of living in Thailand - soon.  Such as proof of rental lease contract.  Sick of living out of a suitcase with 3 weeks worth of clothes! Would make sense that the next stage would be to do that.  I am sure the Thai government have plans in place when that time comes.  

Sorry to hear of your wasted expense,particularly on the insurance which is now useless for the foreseeable. I do hope you closely checked the small print as all insurers I know have a get out on 'a known event or unforseeable' clause. Wishful thinking to expect any special consideration for an expat resident I’m afraid. You’re not valued ,even if like me married to a Thai- they simply don’t care and view you as a nuisance,preferring instead short term tourists spending money and then leaving. Rest assured they have NO plans to make your life easier and when does'it makes sense' have any traction in Thailand? 

3 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Saw an interview last week with Alan Joyce,  he says at least 6 to 9 months before Qantas international starts back up

I read today from Germany experts commercial fly from Europe return normal after 5 years, this is 6-9 months is only the start, essay for stop but not for restart.

55 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

but at a very significantly reduced frequency

..and a very significantly increased cost since I would have thought it unlikely that individual flights could be more than half-full max so as to comply with social distancing requirements which don't look like going away any time soon.

Edited by OJAS

7 hours ago, OKF said:

yeah so what? What is the problem to open up? I am a very strong criticist of T politics and yes maybe or most likely figures are twisted. However this is not a killer virus, it's 'figures' are well below the influenza epedemic 2017, so what r we talking about?

The reason they extended to end May is a totally different one.....I think it is more about the protests that will start......... but by this behaviour there may be more ppl to join that idea, ppl in T suffer more then ever, they r not to political but that scenario now will make some ppl political...for sure....wait, watch and see, hunger makes a difference...

It's not a "killer virus" , but only trucks are overflowing with dead bodies in new york. Since when does the flu have hundreds of people in refrigerated trucks?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The China routes will be the first to open up and my feeling is that it will be relatively soon.

I agree, and I think that its a terrible idea, however we must get the Chinese back as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, lkv said:

UK has no restriction to give an example, so flights there will likely begin much sooner than say Australia.

That would be nice but I can't see it.  I suspect that the Thai government will implement bans of the nationals of countries based on their rate of infection.  Given the current rate of infections here in the UK, I think it could be quite some time before UK citizens and therefore flights between Thailand and the UK resume.

Love to be wrong on that.

53 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I suspect that the Thai government will implement bans of the nationals of countries based on their rate of infection

So are we talking about Real rates of infection or the other ones... ????

3 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

It's not a "killer virus" , but only trucks are overflowing with dead bodies in new york. Since when does the flu have hundreds of people in refrigerated trucks?

Can such news be believed? In Spain they had reportedly transformed a skating ring into a morgue. In Italy the tale was that coffin makers could not keep up with demand. In Ecuador corpses were said to be rotting in the streets. It was worse than the Battle of the Somme you see.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Adelphi said:

UK Government Ministers now talking about introducing two weeks quarantine as part of the next stage of the fight against the Covid 19 - same as Thailand already has.  Until we have a vaccine I think quarantine could become normal across the world.  If correct then we will see a resumption of flights but at a very significantly reduced frequency.  Some people, like me, would be willing to accept two weeks quarantine for what they considered absolutely essential flights but the Tourism Industry would be all but dead.  

The idea of a vaccine getting the world out of this situation is extremely flawed.

1. Vaccines typically take 5-10 years to develop
2. We still haven't found a vaccine for the common cold after 70 years (or HIV)
3. It could take years to distribute 
4. It assumes that everyone will get the vaccine