Thai govt issues order extending emergency measures - alcohol ban unclear

webfact

Thai govt issues order extending emergency measures - alcohol ban unclear

R1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

The Thai government has passed an order confirming all emergency measures previously put in place to help combat the spread of COVID-19  will be extended until further notice.

The order, which tells provincial governors that all measures will remain in place, has been published in the Royal Gazette, Sanook reported.

At the time of publishing it wasn’t clear whether the order would mean an extension of the ban on alcohol sales. 

While the order doesn’t specifically refer to alcohol sales, the ban on the sales of alcohol was one of a number of measures introduced in April.

Earlier this week, it was rumoured people in Thailand would be given a two day window in which to buy alcohol before a new ban was enforced.

The window would allow people to buy alcohol between May 1-2 but that would now appear to not be the case.

The previous ban on the sale of alcohol is due to expire today April 30.

Meanwhile, one supermarket in Bangkok put notices in store on Wednesday to announce that it would not be selling alcohol throughout May.

This is a developing story, this post may be updated. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-30

---------------------------------------------------------

PM dashes hopes of early easing of lockdown restrictions

000_1QD5F2.jpg

Any hopes people in Thailand may have had of seeing lockdown restrictions eased for some low-risk businesses and social activities by early May have been dashed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The Prime Minister issued an order, published in the Royal Gazette late Wednesday night, mandating all provincial governors, including Bangkok’s governor, to delay their plans to ease the measures until further notice.

The order, issued under Section 9 of the country’s State of Emergency Act, states that all lockdown measures remain enforceable until there is a new announcement from the Government.

The order means that the plan, by Bangkok’s governor, to allow low risk limited business and social activity resumption, will have to be shelved for now.

Inter-provincial travel will remain subject to control as staying at home remains the order of the day. That means many residents of the capital, who had plans to get out of the city for the long weekend, will probably have to stay at home instead.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-dashes-hopes-of-early-easing-of-lockdown-restrictions/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 4

20 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Now what do you think of the infection/death rate figures being released?

Not much, but what I do think is this is only a power play and then a way to say to the world look at how we did it. Handbook under China 101. What next. They going to weld all of our doors shut?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

For crying out loud, will they please stop avoiding the issue and tell us one way or the other if there is going to be a further booze ban or not? Other than causing misery for many people, I can't see what effect it can really have with numbers so low now.

Just been up my local 7/11 and they confirm no sales and through May and seen a few sites with that notice 1st May

4 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Just been up my local 7/11 and they confirm no sales and through May and seen a few sites with that notice 1st May

You asked the kids at the cash register about the liquor policy? 5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:
13 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yeah, but where do you live?  Not every province is the same.

I doubt that any of the governors are brave enough not to follow the herd. 

I've already noticed that some provinces extended the ban until 15 May, others 31 May.  Have not heard what Chiang Mai is going to do.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I've already noticed that some provinces extended the ban until 15 May, others 31 May.  Have not heard what Chiang Mai is going to do.

Hang on must ring the other Govenors we must stick to same dates ha ha

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

And I bet every single governor and politician supporting this has a suitably large stash of wine / beer / whiskey at home and cannot see for a moment what the issue is..and I would include Prayut in that as soliders whether serving, ex (or in prayut case both) are well know to like a pint or two...just saying. 

As a previous poster mentioned this is about power and control, not co-vid. I hope people remember this when it comes to the next election. Rule by law or rule of law - make your choice voters. 

Trouble is they all the same and what you say 2000 per cent right

Edited by jwest10
spelling