Thai govt issues order extending emergency measures - alcohol ban unclear

webfact

1 hour ago, transam said:

Whens the next "general" election.......?

Think there will be change..................????

You, me and 3/4 of Thailand wish for that, ain't going to happen though, which is exactly why the Junta changed the constitution, so long as this remains in force it will be impossible to change the leadership, wouldn't matter if Somchai MP won 99% of the vote, he would never be the PM, the senate controls that.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

They certainly tried last time, and through redistricting, discrepancies, and recounts, the guy who wanted to win did. Soon after, he made the opposition go away. I wonder what else the voters might have to do.

IMO the answer to that is obvious, redecoration of lamp posts.

6 hours ago, jonclark said:

If the rational is to stop people gathering in large groups...

The rationale is not to stop them from drinking in groups.  It's rather they fear that after a few drinks, people more likely to gather outside the governor's mansion with pitchforks.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

haven't you considered also that the Thailand governments data on the spread of this virus doesn't match with their actions across the country

How many tests have they actually carried out now - 50k in 120 days 

They did a random antibody test sample of 3000 people in New York and have discovered that at least 25% of the population have been infected 

Thailand has actually done two population studies. Every time someone is tested to be positive with Coronavirus they do contact tracing. They have tested thousands of people in this high risk group and found a 1-2% infection rate. The other test was on Phuket, one of the infection hot spots. They tested 1000 people and found 1 person infected. They have, at the moment, decided that testing is too expensive for such a low return on infection rates. 

1 minute ago, Martyp said:

Thailand has actually done two population studies. Every time someone is tested to be positive with Coronavirus they do contact tracing. They have tested thousands of people in this high risk group and found a 1-2% infection rate. The other test was on Phuket, one of the infection hot spots. They tested 1000 people and found 1 person infected. They have, at the moment, decided that testing is too expensive for such a low return on infection rates. 

show a link to data

or publish your source

otherwise it's as meaningless as Thailands testing 

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

For crying out loud, will they please stop avoiding the issue and tell us one way or the other if there is going to be a further booze ban or not? Other than causing misery for many people, I can't see what effect it can really have with numbers so low now.

“Misery” at not being able to take a drink?

34 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Quite rightly too.

Testing is a waste of time once the toothpaste is out of the tube. Only any use to number crunchers.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe i will fall into a deep depression, no booze,cold turkey.

OOPS silly me, i dont drink.:cheesy:

You know Col grog dont worry me either. But i feel sorry for thoses brewary workers who have no work no pay. Selling take aways what has that got to do with the virus? This government is def not for the people. I thought there numbers were so low or was that just pure <deleted>

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Come on you all, its not that difficult; 100% grape juice, sugar, water, yeast and a big plastic container. 

I think that is what many guys do actually and if they found out that as good, they might go on in the future and buy less ready made, save money and alcohol-tax. Hope that the guys know good enough at the next step to differ between Ethyl and Methyl.

This could hit your eyes.

Anyway, up to know no prohibition in the worlds history stopped people drinking and Thailand for sure will not be the first. I heard it took about two or three days to get a good food from rice milk and I see people still sit together and drink beer or other stuff at home.

My experience is that Thai normally does not have a stock over weeks, so how?

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

The booze is irrelevant to gatherings. 

I have just witnessed on my to and from the Big C, in 3 villages, around a dozen or so people sitting together on those low bamboo tables, and not one was wearing a mask either. 

Same where I am, but - there has been no new cases in the province for three weeks, ZERO people in hospital, maybe they are not as prone to be sheep as some are?

Try avoiding the ridiculous MSM?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eibot said:

Thai government flexing it's muscles. This has nothing to do with Covid19. Sickens me.

Absolutely . Army uniforms,  control the people , and Alien visitors ..

Edited by elliss

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe i will fall into a deep depression, no booze,cold turkey.

OOPS silly me, i dont drink.:cheesy:

there are many WHO like to have a drink in there abode.....I am one of them.... 

Nice to have one after some lanky hotpot !!!! so why HAVE a ban...??

• Haha 1

The reasons for the ban are unclear.  It is true that in the earlier stage of the outbreak, bars and clubs were clearly indicated, however the prime movers were surely the presence of the virus, and people being in close vicinity of an infected person.

I suppose you could argue that broadly it is a good policy because it stops poor people squandering money, and it could reduce the incidence of domestic violence.

It's very frustrating when governments do not give sound justifications.

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I suppose you could argue that broadly it is a good policy because it stops poor people squandering money

How bloody patronising.  Poor people don't squander money - by virtue of their poverty they have to be extremely parsimonious.

The government and the military however are extremely profligate with the Thai people's money*.  They have absolutely no moral authority to tell poor people (or anyone else, for that matter) on what they can and can't spend their money.

* Edit:  except for General Prawit who is so cautious with money that he borrows watches, rather than buy one for himself.

Edited by Oxx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

How bloody patronising.  Poor people don't squander money - by virtue of their poverty they have to be extremely parsimonious.

The government and the military however are extremely profligate with the Thai people's money*.  They have absolutely no moral authority to tell poor people (or anyone else, for that matter) on what they can and can't spend their money.

* Edit:  except for General Prawit who is so cautious with money that he borrows watches, rather than buy one for himself.

'How bloody patronising.'

Sorry, it's not meant to be- I'm not so well off myself.  I mean one of the reasons I gave up booze was every 50 baht or so I spent on a beer was 50 baht I didn't spend on the wife and kid.  

'Poor people don't squander money'

Not my experience...... but what I would say is it's becoming increasingly difficult to balance the books for anyone.

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

'Poor people don't squander money'

Not my experience

Sorry, but that's being patronising again.  

Just because others don't spend money how you think they should doesn't mean they're squandering it.  When one lives a life of grinding poverty items such as, for example, yaa baa, cigarettes and alcohol can help make something unbearable a little less so.  It's a way to survive.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:12 AM, darksidedog said:

For crying out loud, will they please stop avoiding the issue and tell us one way or the other if there is going to be a further booze ban or not? Other than causing misery for many people, I can't see what effect it can really have with numbers so low now.

It will effect EVERY part of your life. 

It must be to do with the giving of govt. money to Somchai. What do you think he will spend it on?

Sit down and chill. You made the choice to stay here. No alcohol... locals accept it. If you need it, go to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, or wherever else cheap hand..err beers are available.

• Sad 2

Yesterday I went to a Big C and a local warehouse, both told me that I could buy beer today and tomorrow, so today I went to Makro and told no beer for the month, loads of disappointed customers I think and a very late change of instructions from the Thai Govt. Meanwhile back at Big C its the same story-no beer, does anyone know who is in charge here until the last minute?

Does anyone know of any other country that has banned alcohol to stop the spread of the virus?

I think come the next election there might well be a change of administration because this sort of policy will really pee people off especially when the supplies at home dry up.

No forward planning or thinking from the leadership.

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Sorry, but that's being patronising again.  

Just because others don't spend money how you think they should doesn't mean they're squandering it.  When one lives a life of grinding poverty items such as, for example, yaa baa, cigarettes and alcohol can help make something unbearable a little less so.  It's a way to survive.

I'm not telling people how to spend their money and I'm not being patronizing.  And I agree, life becomes a real drudge when you can't even afford a packet of tabs or a beer. 

What I am saying is you have to get your priorities right: if you can't afford a beer, or it's at the expense of food in the fridge, then that is squandering money.  I think that probably lies partly in the decision to extend the ban.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but merely stating what could be the reason.

(There is absolute poverty where nobody can be accused of squandering anything, but I think that more applies in war torn parts than in Thailand.)

On 4/30/2020 at 11:45 AM, Thailand said:

For this complete turnaround to easing everything to extending restrictions has to mean some :hit-the-fan: and panic is setting in.

You may very well be right in proposing that panic is setting in. The much-beloved propensity for Thais to falsify numbers in order to create a feeling of euphoria that their actions have been justified, is becoming devalued.

It is now increasingly widely assumed that the government has been hoist with the petard of testing, and that they have been guilty of providing overly-optimistic assessment of the impact of COVID-19, mainly to exaggerate their success in dealing with it.

One implication of this is that it seems likely that when the widely-anticipated second wave crashes down upon us, which the government would be extremely hard pressed to explain in terms that the international community would be persuaded. Without a doubt it would be good enough for Thais, but then Thais are widely regarded as not being the sharpest tools in the box.

I have no doubt that those at the top of the money-tree in Thailand will be burning the midnight oil trying to fabricate a plausible explanation for Thailand not escaping COVID-19 unscathed. I am still of the view that ultimately, COVID-19 bring down Uncle Too, and many others domestically and internationally as well....

I guess we'll see,,,

I went to Topps up in Sakon Nakhon today!,about 10am to do some shopping and to buy spirits .

The MGR had to call to see if they had permission to sell lol

Denied! No word up here in the heart of the rice patties,according to Topps.

Oh well! I went to Tesco instead!

Edited by riclag

38 minutes ago, riclag said:

I went to Topps up in Sakon Nakhon today!,about 10am to do some shopping and to buy spirits .

I presume you don't buy alcohol very often.  The selling hours start at 11 a.m., so (unless you were planning on buying 12 liters thereof), of course you were out of luck.