Car tyres....how many kms?

petermik

The set on my Mitsu Lancer approaching 70k and just over 7years old. . So the worry is their age and cracking / perishing but look ok. Front pair tread wear will mean replacing soon. Frankly I'm amazed. In France, my other home, I'm lucky to get 30k out of a set. But here apart from long distances with higher speeds more heavy braking perhaps  3 times a year, mostly trips are between 10 & 60 km. And overall  I drive much slower here, so less braking, than in France. Still can't believe it though!

16 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The set on my Mitsu Lancer approaching 70k and just over 7years old. . So the worry is their age and cracking / perishing but look ok. Front pair tread wear will mean replacing soon. Frankly I'm amazed. In France, my other home, I'm lucky to get 30k out of a set. But here apart from long distances with higher speeds more heavy braking perhaps  3 times a year, mostly trips are between 10 & 60 km. And overall  I drive much slower here, so less braking, than in France. Still can't believe it though!

As well here, i did 105000 km with original tyres on our Colorado pickup, in Italy i never went over 40/60000 km with  cars tyres.

Very similar driving behavior of you, i do believe that in a "Hot" weather countries the "standard" tyres are harder, less performing, but lasting anyway more.

19 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

127,000 km with the original train fitted at the factory; Bridgestone on a 3-liter Isuzu pickup with automatic transmission; and I could have done at least 10,000 km more but I estimate that at 7 years old they were tired.
Generally 4 to 5 people and their luggage;

I must also say that driving has been my job all my life;

I respect the pressures recommended by the manufacturer, vehicle maintenance at isuzu every 10,000 km; non-sporty driving, I drive between 85 and 95 km / h and much less than the 80 authorized in town;

let's say like in Europe, between 30 and 50 km / h.

The second set of tires, same Bridgestone brand, has already almost 70,000 km and is still like new;
of course i have a cross exchange every 20 to 30,000 km.

This is not the subject, but my brakes are original at almost 200,000 km;
an automatic gearbox is handled like a manual gearbox in the mountains in order to touch the brake pedal a minimum of times.

Almost the same experience and vehicle with me (except manual gearbox). Changed the tyres at 110,000 kilometers for same Bridgestones as they were 5 years old but plenty of tread left. But more difficult to sell the old tyres on because they’re 17 inch when most in the market for second hand want 16 inch. Religiously check tyre pressures when cold as even the main dealer over inflates them at services.

If you go into a tyre shop say for a puncture repair, you will see that they check the tyres DATE and not the wear mark, because of the UV it is recommended in Thailand to change tyres after 4 yrs, make sure to use a silicon tyre spray or liquid on the walls often this will help protect from UV. After my wife passed her test (at a school) she was proud to show me how she could check the date, i was a bit gobsmacked that they had not shown her the wear bars. TIT.

I managed 90,000km on my set of Bridgestone Dueler's on my Isuzu 2WD pick up from new.

Surprisingly, it was the fronts (tracking slightly out) that wore the most.

Replaced them as rainy season coming and they were becoming slicks. Also, their age (8 years) was starting to affect them eg. starting the get hard and crack.

No punctures or other issues during their ownership. Can't complain!

If they are good quality tyres, no sign of vibration on the wheel at 140kmh, not parked in the sun all day, & tyres do not screech when you go around corners you should get 80,000 km.

If you do not drive much, I notice Honda suggests change after 4 years (sidewall collapse risk)