Car tyres....how many kms?

petermik

I got just 40-50,000 kms out of a set of tyres (Bridgestone) here....is this about right/normal....mostly highway driving tarmac/concrete roads tyres rotated every 10,000 kms currently have Nexen tyres and it would appear a similar story with kms already done on these....is this normal for the conditions here?

My first set from new did no more than 25,000km.  This replacement set seem to be doing much better than that, but the side walls are definitely wearing faster than the tread. I doubt that I will get much more than 35,000 out of this set. I don't rotate them either, I don't really see the point. 

• Like 1

As other have said an impossible question the answer. All depend on size of wheels, car, how you drive. I have Dunlop on my Tuna 20" rims and they have done 40K KM and they still look like new. By the way they are looking they will last another 3+ years or more than 80K KM. I am very light on things that wear out anyway. My last Tuna had done almost 100k at 9 years old and never had to changed the brake pads. Tyres yes as I changed them at 6 years due to the heat here. They still had lot's of tread left. 

Edited by fredob43

Depends on the weight of the vehicle, tyre size, and driving habits. I got 70,000 km out of a set of Michelins on a Vios, only changed them because my mechanic said there was cracking in the tread. According to the tread wear indicators, had another 10,000 km left.

Pretty good the mileage is .. as other members have already commented numerous factors can influence tyre wear but one I have always check weekly is the pressure ( though many newer vehicles are fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system on the dash that will give each individual tyre pressure ) with an old skool gauge as over and under inflation can seriously reduce a tyre's mileage .. 

7 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Pretty good the mileage is .. as other members have already commented numerous factors can influence tyre wear but one I have always check weekly is the pressure ( though many newer vehicles are fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system on the dash that will give each individual tyre pressure ) with an old skool gauge as over and under inflation can seriously reduce a tyre's mileage .. 

I should have mentioned my car is a 1.6 Nissan Sylphy 2016 and mainly used for our monthly trips between Pattaya and Trang province...my tyre pressures are checked before each trip (16" wheels) and there,s just the two of us plus light luggage taken....I am a careful driver and travel at 100/105 kms/hr when road conditions allow....my fuel economy is excellent (19 kms/litre) cvt auto which tells me I,m driving economically it was the tyre wear that I was concerned about,judging by many replies I,m getting about average for the conditions that exist here so I,m happy with that now :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

my tyre pressures are checked before each trip (16" wheels

Good stuff .. and as much is practical a visual inspection for cuts , odd wear patterns , etc is always prudent especially if doing long journeys .. 

I changed out the original Bridgestones on my 2013 Ford Wildtrack in December.

7 years old and 115,000kms, just down to the replace mark and honestly didn't look to bad at all, 

And if anything I've got a lead foot. Bought exactly the same type again.

As they say YMMV

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

7 years old and 115,000kms, just down to the replace mark and honestly didn't look to bad at all, 

As they say YMMV

Similar on our 2010 Ranger.. Bridgestone Duellers did about 120k and the guy across the road then stuck them on his plantation pick up.. We made the mistake of swapping to Michelin which didn't last as long... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kwonitoy said:

As they say YMMV

127,000 km with the original train fitted at the factory; Bridgestone on a 3-liter Isuzu pickup with automatic transmission; and I could have done at least 10,000 km more but I estimate that at 7 years old they were tired.
Generally 4 to 5 people and their luggage;

I must also say that driving has been my job all my life;

I respect the pressures recommended by the manufacturer, vehicle maintenance at isuzu every 10,000 km; non-sporty driving, I drive between 85 and 95 km / h and much less than the 80 authorized in town;

let's say like in Europe, between 30 and 50 km / h.

The second set of tires, same Bridgestone brand, has already almost 70,000 km and is still like new;
of course i have a cross exchange every 20 to 30,000 km.

This is not the subject, but my brakes are original at almost 200,000 km;
an automatic gearbox is handled like a manual gearbox in the mountains in order to touch the brake pedal a minimum of times.

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, petermik said:

I should have mentioned my car is a 1.6 Nissan Sylphy 2016 and mainly used for our monthly trips between Pattaya and Trang province...my tyre pressures are checked before each trip (16" wheels) and there,s just the two of us plus light luggage taken....I am a careful driver and travel at 100/105 kms/hr when road conditions allow....my fuel economy is excellent (19 kms/litre) cvt auto which tells me I,m driving economically it was the tyre wear that I was concerned about,judging by many replies I,m getting about average for the conditions that exist here so I,m happy with that now :thumbsup:

Alot depends on the quality of the tires, Bridgestones have many different levels of quality. The higher the level of quality should get you better milage.

Its strange. We talk here about kms/litre, kms/hr on wheels that are 13 INCHES upwards, Did Mr Metric after muddling many people up finally run out of interest on the last bit of a Car ?. Let the World keep its funny sized wheels and tyres.?.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

This is not the subject, but my brakes are original at almost 200,000 km;
an automatic gearbox is handled like a manual gearbox in the mountains in order to touch the brake pedal a minimum of times.

I'd hate to drive a CVT in the mountains, would not feel like I was in control of the vehicle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, fredob43 said:

As other have said an impossible question the answer. All depend on size of wheels, car, how you drive. I have Dunlop on my Tuna 20" rims and they have done 40K KM and they still look like new. By the way they are looking they will last another 3+ years or more than 80K KM. I am very light on things that wear out anyway. My last Tuna had done almost 100k at 9 years old and never had to changed the brake pads. Tyres yes as I changed them at 6 years due to the heat here. They still had lot's of tread left. 

I got 80K km on my fortuna with the tires it came with - 2 years old.

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My first set from new did no more than 25,000km.  This replacement set seem to be doing much better than that, but the side walls are definitely wearing faster than the tread. I doubt that I will get much more than 35,000 out of this set. I don't rotate them either, I don't really see the point. 

The first set were not rotated and the front tyres were worn out by about 25,000 (the rear probably had another 25,000 available) the next set are at over 60,000 as they get rotated. They will have to be replaced soon due to age not wear, so there is definitely a point to rotating if your tread pattern allows it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I got 80K km on my fortuna with the tires it came with - 2 years old.

96000 on the first original set on my 2012 Vigo. 85000 on next set of Maxxiss. Next set doing OK. Rotate them every 10000km service, and keep them at 29psi.

Edited by stouricks

The OEM Bridgestone Dueller HT on the Mu-x (3.0, 4x4) have done 85,000 km, just approaching the wear indicators so time to replace before the wet sets in.

Interestingly although I don't rotate tyres they are all about the same wear level.

15 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Similar on our 2010 Ranger.. Bridgestone Duellers did about 120k and the guy across the road then stuck them on his plantation pick up.. We made the mistake of swapping to Michelin which didn't last as long... 

Exact same for Isuzu, 120 K and still had tread but were cracking.