How the corona-virus crisis will shape the world ?

mauGR1

2 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

When Thailand opens back up, then I'm out of here, if not Thailand maybe Malaysia. I've been here nearly 6 weeks and had enough of the people, the weather, etc.

The problem is that once you are not in your country, you are a foreigner.

As a foreigner, you have almost no rights, and an easy target too.

Yet, i can understand, there is no doubt that, at the moment, it's better to be in Thailand than in the UK.

But for how long ?

• Like 2

but this all jumping the gun! @Heppinger

- they are not supposed to secretly all agree unitedly...

- until we have invented WarpDrive, and we are detected by a passing Vulcan ship

Edited by tifino
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yet, i can understand, there is no doubt that, at the moment, it's better to be in Thailand than in the UK.

But for how long ?

Western Empire is being looted by our overlords as we speak, transferring all the wealth over to the next Empire. Empires come and go, though the blood lines that control them will remain as has been for the last 2000 years.

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

but this all jumping the gun! @Heppinger

- they are not supposed to secretly all agree unitedly...

- until we have invented WarpDrive, and we are detected by a passing Vulcan ship

Grew up in front of a TV screen?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

But for how long ?

Things will settle down, especially countries that need some money coming in. The medical advisers are taking over the UK government policy which is not good. On Saturday this female chief medic said even when the pubs/bars are open people shouldn't meet their friends as it will lead to drinking and close contact to spread the "virus". So she wants people to sit alone in a bar and never socialize, this kind of PC bs has been ruining the country for years.

• Like 2

Things will settle down, especially countries that need some money coming in. The medical advisers are taking over the UK government policy which is not good. On Saturday this female chief medic said even when the pubs/bars are open people shouldn't meet their friends as it will lead to drinking and close contact to spread the "virus". So she wants people to sit alone in a bar and never socialize, this kind of PC bs has been ruining the country for years.

What i'm trying to say is, the same c**p is going on, although in slightly different ways, all over the world.

Anyway, stay tuned ????

• Like 2

How will cooking be affected? I have a bad feeling that apart from the death of many good restaurants we will see a shortage of foreign products in our supermarkets.

All that complicated ethnic cooking with weird and wonderful ingredients could become a thing of the past if supermarkets decided to focus more on essential supplies.

I can see it already with devastating results in Central Food Hall in Chiang Mai, the expat supermarket of choice here. There's no Boursin, no Spanish monkfish, no Black Forest Ham from Germany, no quality smoked salmon, no lamb, no ribeye steak from Australia. Plenty of loo paper though.

I don't know how I'll make it through this month. No Massages yet either. 

10 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

Western Empire is being looted by our overlords as we speak, transferring all the wealth over to the next Empire. Empires come and go, though the blood lines that control them will remain as has been for the last 2000 years.

Yep, it's very interesting, i have no trouble believing that.

But the main problem for us normal folks, is how to survive the s**t-storm, possibly without being enslaved.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, it's very interesting, i have no trouble believing that.

But the main problem for us normal folks, is how to survive the s**t-storm, possibly without being enslaved.

You survive it by identifying when you must change your state of mind.  It's not important what side your on, what's important is being on the right side at the right time.

Just now, Heppinger said:

You survive it by identifying when you must change your state of mind.  It's not important what side your on, what's important is being on the right side at the right time.

Disagree,

I'm too old to care, nobody is bothered about controlling me any more.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Disagree,

You survive it by catching it and living through the process.

If only there was something to catch.  I'm talking about surviving in the developing world wide social change.

3 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

I am on the side of what is good and true, and i consider what is good and true to be more important than everything else.

There may be a price to pay for that though, i just hope to be strong enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

I am on the side of what is good and true, and i consider what is good and true to be more important than everything else.

I have much admiration for your position and wish you well.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

If one disagrees with the official narrative, then you are an outsider. When people lose their jobs soon and there hardly any independent shops left, 80% of bars/pubs closed for good, no social interaction and nanny states trying to control everything you do, then the people may wake up.

• Like 2

If one disagrees with the official narrative, then you are an outsider. When people lose their jobs soon and there hardly any independent shops left, 80% of bars/pubs closed for good, no social interaction and nanny states trying to control everything you do, then the people may wake up.

Yes, perhaps it's time for those who are sleeping to smell the coffee.

• Like 2

I dont like the way Euro Tabloids have used the Actress and the Ginger Prince, Breexit and the Nutty Labour Chap, style of reporting. so i read/folow Australian Media they are more open imo. Yanks have turned into politics yet again.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you should try village life, something I alternate with condo life.

In the village, I have alcohol, massages, a laundry service and other services I won't specify freely available. Smug? You betcha.

Oh that service I have here as well, and laundry (though my shorts were bloody late, I had a word). 

It's the quality massage I need.

Coffee shops are open in Chiang Mai now.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, TKDfella said:

In the late 15th century Smallpox was perhaps the major cause of change in the American continent again killing millions. At very least this helped Europeans to fill the exposed large vacated areas and through the discovery of large mineral deposits it spurred the capitalism of today. We might have seen a very different world if that hadn't happened.

even more importantly, it led to the discovery of cocaine  and cigars,

i dare not think of what life on earth would have become without

the blessings from americas

On 5/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, TKDfella said:

The great plague during Emperor Justinian reign in the 6th century is said to have killed many millions of people. Historians still argue about the measure of impact it had but most agree that it did more than just decimate the world's population at that time. It was probably the final blow to the remnants of the ancient Roman Empire which never recovered afterwards.

I think you will find the Roman Empire failed, just as with every empire in history, by inflating their currency supply by debasing their coinage to pay for war, welfare and other social spending which lead to staggering price inflation, this eventually led to all currency based trade coming to a standstill and an inevitable collapse of the system.

Edited by Heppinger
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

I think you will find the Roman Empire failed, just as with every empire in history, by inflating their currency supply by debasing their coinage to pay for war, welfare and other social spending which lead to staggering price inflation, this eventually led to all currency based trade coming to a standstill and an inevitable collapse of the system.

So, in simple words, pls correct me if i'm wrong, there was not much left for the empire to steal, and soldiers and bureaucrats are expensive

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

So, in simple words, pls correct me if i'm wrong, there was not much left for the empire to steal, and soldiers and bureaucrats are expensive

Correct, good's and service personnel don't work for free. Of course the culprits are no where to be found, and the general population are left holding the baby, so to speak.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, it goes both ways, because an ageing society is a huge hindrance for the economy.

We agree very much on overpopulation being a major problem.

Don't stress about it. An unemployed population due to AI/ robotics will be grateful to be able to have a job looking after all those old people.

They are not going away and someone has to look after them. Better than paying the dole to people to watch tv.

9 hours ago, Heppinger said:

I understood that it ended because they had to employ mercenaries, and the mercenaries decided they'd rather be the rulers than the labour.

I certainly believe that any civilization that becomes too soft to protect itself will fall, and modern western civilization certainly fits the bill. When countries won't fund their own military and depend on the US they are in a precarious situation.