Microwave repairs?

Gandtee

I would not trust such repairs, if having to open unit, to anyone other than authorized.  Could be dangerous if not assembled correctly.  Believe at this time electric supply stores are still not allowed to operate (why have no idea).  Believe you can still order new units on platforms such as Lazada.

Is there an Amorn Electronics near you? Their service center may be able to fix it, depending on what the issue is. If the heating unit - the magnetron - needs replacing, it probably isn't worth it. Years ago, I bought a nice Sharp microwave for 4,500baht - it lasted years until it broke; i repaired it and it cost 1,800baht. Got a good few years more service out of it. But when it broke again last year, I just got a new Electrolux for 1,800 from Tesco. 

Like many appliances nowadays, it probably wont be economically viable to repair, if parts are even available. 

Often a component like a magnatron can fail because of a faulty (but still operating out of spec) power supply/capacitor etc . ie: the repair wont last long.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Like many appliances nowadays, it probably wont be economically viable to repair, if parts are even available. 

Often a component like a magnatron can fail because of a faulty (but still operating out of spec) power supply/capacitor etc . ie: the repair wont last long.

Its just out of warranty. My wife cooks bacon rashers for 3 mins on high. ( hard as rock) During that time the house cutout trips. Could the cause of this be because not enough food in the microwave? But then wouldn't the microwave only short out? 

Check if you still have warranty. Depending on the problem - some companies provide a very long warranty on the expensive magnetron (often parts only). 

There is a Electrolux service centre in soi Potisan in Naklua.  I've had mixed success with them in the past.

As pointed out by previous posters though, it's almost certainly not worthwhile getting it fixed.  Probably cost as much as buying a new one.

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Its just out of warranty. My wife cooks bacon rashers for 3 mins on high. ( hard as rock) During that time the house cutout trips. Could the cause of this be because not enough food in the microwave? But then wouldn't the microwave only short out? 

Your microwave (possibly in combination with other appliances) are pulling too much current on the electrical line. This would cause the circuit breaker to trip. Sometimes this is due to a faulty breaker, other times (most likely) too much current passing through the line.

Plug your microwave on a separate line to see if the problem persists. Or set up a separate line (circuit) for your kitchen area.

P.S. I am not an electrician, but had a similar problem in the US. For whatever reason, my kitchen and living room shared the same circuit. Running the fridge, microwave, TV, and stereo system caused the breaker to trip. The solution was to create a separate circuit just for the kitchen area.

2 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Your microwave (possibly in combination with other appliances) are pulling too much current on the electrical line. This would cause the circuit breaker to trip. Sometimes this is due to a faulty breaker, other times (most likely) too much current passing through the line.

Plug your microwave on a separate line to see if the problem persists. Or set up a separate line (circuit) for your kitchen area.

P.S. I am not an electrician, but had a similar problem in the US. For whatever reason, my kitchen and living room shared the same circuit. Running the fridge, microwave, TV, and stereo system caused the breaker to trip. The solution was to create a separate circuit just for the kitchen area.

Thanks.