Tourism to start again June 1st?

Yeah, so the Sun links to the original article, published in The Thaiger.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/tourism-ministry-floats-long-stay-travel-packages

I had a good laugh.

In a nutshell, they will be promoting disease free long stay packages (yes!), to high net worth individuals, for the islands only, where they can regulate them better, because in Bangkok they can't.

What the F has this one been smoking, I need some. It really puts you in Wonderland.

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

Looks like Vietnam is planning to open soon too, maybe Philippines.

Don't underestimate government desperation to get the economy going now. Tourism is their life blood.  Remember back in Feb. there were millions of Chinese and Europeans coming but low transmission.   Then again with the monsoon, all the wet, maybe that will change things.

42 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

The early bird gets the worm. Whoever opens first will get the most initial tourists as there are HEALTHY people just dying to take a vacation all over the world. The only real constraints are the ability to travel TO the country and BACK from it - but surely transit travel restrictions will be eased in many countries by June.

My guess is towards June some countries will start opening, and by mid-June at the latest Thailand will join them, at least partially (requiring health certificates etc).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lkv said:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/tourism-ministry-floats-long-stay-travel-packages

I had a good laugh.

In a nutshell, they will be promoting disease free long stay packages (yes!), to high net worth individuals, for the islands only, where they can regulate them better, because in Bangkok they can't.

What the F has this one been smoking, I need some. It really puts you in Wonderland.

Thaiger is linked to the Nation so consider the source.

• Like 1

The Thai government first consideration would be the Chinese tourists. They call the shots as they are the largest tourists in Thailand.

They probably have a behind the door meeting with the Chinese government as to when Thailand can open the doors.

You will know when tourism comes back when the Chinese come back.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Don't underestimate government desperation to get the economy going now. Tourism is their life blood.  Remember back in Feb. there were millions of Chinese and Europeans coming but low transmission.   Then again with the monsoon, all the wet, maybe that will change things.

The Philippines has just locked down even more by shutting the commercial airports for at least a week and maybe more as the returning Filipinos from other countries have maxed out the quarantine locations to capacity.

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Philippines has just locked down even more by shutting the commercial airports for at least a week and maybe more as the returning Filipinos from other countries have maxed out the quarantine locations to capacity.

Yes, I remember that.  It appears that most transmission came from European visitors, who frequented the naughty nightspots, and also from locals who attended large events.  I really don't know how the relatively low contagion from China can be explained.  Whatever the reason given I'm sure it's not scientifically sound.

In my opinion, unless and until a viable vaccine or cure is found then the Thai population is at significant risk of a second wave of infection, because there is no herd immunity.  We only have to look at very recent events in Yala to understand why this belief stands good.  Once a country has initiated early lockdown then it is hamstrung in terms of international travel.  The main problem with covid-19 is that it is so contagious.

Tourism relies on large numbers to just break even.  I can't see even half those grounded aircraft ever taking to the skies again, and already indebted hotels and restaurants can't survive on minimal occupancy.  So for these reasons, Thailand's only hope may be the well-heeled expat and millionaire tourist.  But would they want to come as before?  Most have pressing concerns at home having lost heavily through business closure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

They probably have a behind the door meeting with the Chinese government as to when Thailand can open the doors.

Yes, they were talking indeed.

The focus is not visa exempt or visa on arrival during these "hard times".

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50719413/asean-to-delay-any-visa-exemption-schemes-as-cambodias-angkor-wat-reels-with-99-5-percent-drop/

6 hours ago, checkered flag said:
9 hours ago, lkv said:

//

Thaiger is linked to the Nation so consider the source.

Thaiger article clearly says that its source is BangkokPost ... :wink:

12 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The early bird gets the worm. Whoever opens first will get the most initial tourists as there are HEALTHY people just dying to take a vacation all over the world. The only real constraints are the ability to travel TO the country and BACK from it - but surely transit travel restrictions will be eased in many countries by June.

My guess is towards June some countries will start opening, and by mid-June at the latest Thailand will join them, at least partially (requiring health certificates etc).

The UK is only this week "thinking" of imposing quarantine rules on the thousands arriving everyday. A truly <deleted> mess of a country. Far behind in many ways.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dode57k said:

The UK is only this week "thinking" of imposing quarantine rules on the thousands arriving everyday. A truly <deleted> mess of a country. Far behind in many ways.

There's no way quarantine will be imposed on arriving travellers, in the UK or hopefully anywhere.  It would be the death of the airline and travel industry.  The virus isn't going anywhere, so either countries kiss goodbye to tourism and business travel or adapt to deal with it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Misab said:

This is not good news, I believe too early, the infection rate overseas is much too high.

Just forget about tourism this summer. If tourists will be allowed to enter Thailand there will be requirements like coronavirus free certificate + an insurance covering ~$100,000. The ticket prices will be at least 50% higher than normal. Low budget airlines will be out business. Loads of people in Europe and the US won't have any money after being laid off from work for months. 

• Like 2

I don’t think it will be Thailand pulling the strings . Borders are closed for the near future in Europe , Russia and US., and I don’t think international travel will be possible soon. As for Covid health passports or whatever, no one is going to accept that. Travel insurance is also going to be a problem. My idea is that this summer and autumn most people are staying in their own countries, or neighboring ones. 

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Some tourism will start next month, most likely from Asian countries, and certainly international travel for business will re-start.  European and American tourism will take longer.

Agree.  First, business visa will open up and then work visa and last tourist visa.  June may get started but July is when you see meaningful amount of international travel.  Region wise, first, low risk counties in Asia and then the rest of world

• Like 1

You said before checking in, that would mean the Thai authorities trusting the various countries and airlines to check for the virus before flying, I cant see that. Although I want the borders open as much as you, I think June 1st is too early. Dont forget no one is flying into Thailand at the moment, only Thai repatriation flights followed by 14 days mandatory quaratine. I cant see that situation changing by June 1st. Maybe September 1st is more realistic.