Masks are the New Normal

GinBoy2

So I think many of you know I work for Delta Airlines, and have reported that both Delta and United have started requiring both flight attendants and passengers to wear masks on board. 

We have for a while been disinfecting all aircraft as we turn them; bathrooms, tray tables armrests, everything gets fogged and wiped down.

So I woke up this morning to the email that from today all ground staff, both above and below wing are required to wear masks for the foreseeable future at all times when at work.

This I think is the new normal for quite a while to come, until hopefully some vaccine is developed

It's surprising it took this long for such a prophylactic policy to be implemented. Just as the cruise industry has noroviruses that effects the stomach I would've thought the close quarters and recycled air on planes which are conducive to coronaviruses that effect the respiratory system would've been associated by now. I have caught a few by flying until I started wearing masks. People looked at me funny but I didn't care. Ironically the ones not wearing a mask will get the funny looks or booted off the plane now.

I hate wearing masks for 20 hour flights (including airport transit) but it's better than getting sick. I wish there was another way around it but I don't know of one. The whole situation reminds me of all the years people drove without seatbelts or cars didn't even have seatbelts > Then airbags etc and other safety tech came which seems obvious now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Knowing people , I will say that they will wear them as long as it is required , and some of them not even then.and relapse to old habits afterwards.  And I don't think it will be required after things settle down.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Just as the cruise industry has noroviruses...

Interesting that you should mention norovirus and cruiseships. 

Ran across a document that implicated Raspberries sourced from China to be responsible for several 2019 cruiseship norovirus outbreaks. 

CDC.gov

Notes from the Field: Multiple Cruise Ship Outbreaks of Norovirus Associated with Frozen Fruits and Berries — United States, 2019

USA Today
CDC Frozen raspberries were culprit behind 2019 norovirus outbreak on multiple cruises

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wasabi said:

It's surprising it took this long for such a prophylactic policy to be implemented

Surely its up to the airlines to provide "protection"  to their customers, things like more frequent

"air changes" during the flight maybe a "better" air  filtration system that actively kills viruses and other "lurge" yes it costs them money  but better than flying half empty.

• Like 2

I would like to know what they are doing about serving food and drinks onboard?  I have read reports that airlines are no longer serving food or beverages during flights and are not permitting outside food or beverages to be consumed on board.  So, what are they doing for international flights that are 13+ hours long?  Are they still not serving F&B?

What, if any, threshold is there?  Is it the duration of the flight? Anything less than X amount of hours nothing is served?  What is that threshold?

If they are serving F&B, it would make wearing masks for the other 12 or so hours a moot point. As soon as everyone brought their masks down to eat for the 30mins to an hour, whatever was floating around in the air is going to be inhaled during that time period.

And again, if F&B are not being served - why is this not reflected in ticketing prices.  For example, business class and first class tickets don't reflect all the alcohol and food costs that are not being incurred. 

59 minutes ago, wormdrive said:

I would like to know what they are doing about serving food and drinks onboard?  I have read reports that airlines are no longer serving food or beverages during flights and are not permitting outside food or beverages to be consumed on board.  So, what are they doing for international flights that are 13+ hours long?  Are they still not serving F&B?

What, if any, threshold is there?  Is it the duration of the flight? Anything less than X amount of hours nothing is served?  What is that threshold?

If they are serving F&B, it would make wearing masks for the other 12 or so hours a moot point. As soon as everyone brought their masks down to eat for the 30mins to an hour, whatever was floating around in the air is going to be inhaled during that time period.

And again, if F&B are not being served - why is this not reflected in ticketing prices.  For example, business class and first class tickets don't reflect all the alcohol and food costs that are not being incurred. 

Some excellent points. I would say on a 12 hour flight most people would eat for at least hour of that during the two meals and intermittent snacking and drinking., so as you say the mask would not been worn. 

If they don’t serve food people would just bring their own so the result would be the same. 

It’s a real dilemma and one they need to find an answer to. 

Personally I can’t see any international travel of this kind for many months until a real solution is found. 

• Like 2

Years ago I made a nose cover that I added to my eye shades, then went for wrapping a scarf around head for long flights. Why? Because the air is so dry on planes (especially after living in humid Thailand) that after landing I felt like I'd been snorting glass. The wrap allowed that moisture to remain around my nose. Thought of the Dune book and still suits.

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

I don't see masks having to be worn that long. Definitely for the next 1-2 months, but after that is pure speculation.

Normal international flight schedules are said to resume July 1st.

Only if all the major countries borders are open.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

seems like it will be a problem... a new crazy story every day... 

a guy wiping his nose on an employee, a security guard shot dead etc etc...

maybe airline passengers will be better behaved ??  

good luck. 

The economy class from China ae not very well behaved and some of the one's from Wuhan, well, what can you say...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, wormdrive said:

Well at least for Delta & United, no drinks, no ice, in first class it's a little baggie of sealed snacks. 

For now all passengers, flight crew and ground staff are required to wear face masks.

I have no idea where this is all going, but thats where we are on most airlines

• Like 1