Bangkok’s famous Chatuchak market to reopen this weekend

snoop1130

9 hours ago, Henryvee said:

And they won’t open the gyms or condo pools ..

yet hot and sweaty market with the narrowest of passages ????

Not the narrowest of passage I think platinum is the narrowest but then again neither are places i would want to go to in the near future.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

No mention of the live animals that where sold before WuFlu struck....are they banned now ?

That's jogged my memory about Australian documentary '60 Minutes: World of Pain' last month.

They sent an undercover reporter to Chatuchak market, filming the illegal sale of protected animals.

Chatuchak is reopening -- but the local park where I go has been open since last Sunday and I was using the exercise equipment since that time UNTIL TODAY!  The park officer couldn't tell me why! 

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's jogged my memory about Australian documentary '60 Minutes: World of Pain' last month.

They sent an undercover reporter to Chatuchak market, filming the illegal sale of protected animals.

That the one where a lot of it was not actually filmed in Chatachuk Market ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Chatuchak is reopening -- but the local park where I go has been open since last Sunday and I was using the exercise equipment since that time UNTIL TODAY!  The park officer couldn't tell me why! 

Perhaps he thought you were fit enough already?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:
12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That the one where a lot of it was not actually filmed in Chatachuk Market ?

It was the other way round: 

"Journalist goes undercover at "wet markets" where Coronavirus ‘started’ – not the origin, but in reality the illegal animal market in Chatuchak, Bangkok"

The quotes refer to my note, which I wrote after watching it.

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

"Journalist goes undercover at "wet markets" where Coronavirus ‘started’ – not the origin, but in reality the illegal animal market in Chatuchak, Bangkok"

isn't it correct in saying that was filmed mostly in Hong Kong and also Chatuchak doesn't butcher animals on site ... they are sold live in cages etc ....  60 minutes docs are nonsense sometimes as they show anything anywhere and the public not knowing the truth believe it.

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

isn't it correct in saying that was filmed mostly in Hong Kong and also Chatuchak doesn't butcher animals on site ... they are sold live in cages etc ....  60 minutes docs are nonsense sometimes as they show anything anywhere and the public not knowing the truth believe it.

Correct, mostly filmed in HK.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Yes, you're absolutely right, it is the sale of live animals, I didn't say they sold illegal animal meat,

Perhaps the public believe it because they don't concentrate on what's being said?

In the programme they specifically mentioned the sale of endangered species at Chatuchak.

Probably better for people to watch and decide for themselves (it's thirty minutes long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw

edit: Chatuchak market scenes: 15:40 – 20:00

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Stalls selling garments, shoes, bags and other similar items must limit the number of customers to five at a time, or ten for larger stalls.

They'll be lucky on a good day to see 2 customers if any at all....

11 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

In a market? Small chance of that. Same reported from many other markets. 

The lack of logic is astonishing. Beaches must remain closed. Markets where people bump into each other, is ok. Good planning and logic. Again.

The lack of logic is not astonishing - its consistency ????.  Thailand is founded and functions on a lack of logic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Chatuchak weekend market, popular with both Thai and foreign tourists, will reopen this weekend, but visitors will be required to observe physical distancing and wear face masks.

Impossible.

11 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

In a market? Small chance of that. Same reported from many other markets. 

The lack of logic is astonishing. Beaches must remain closed. Markets where people bump into each other, is ok. Good planning and logic. Again.

Exactly my sentiments. Perhaps the "logic" is that Thais are nuts for markets, whilst it's largely farangs who want to go out on the beaches. So Thais can be appeased but farangs must be punished.

This is probably the last market that should open. There is a complete lack of airflow in most of the market and the passageways leave no possible way for social distancing. An air conditioned mall would be much better than this place. 

But then the BMA needs to collect their rent (and brown envelopes), it's been a month I am sure the wife's and mia nois are complaining.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The RTP closed the live animal market soon after the 60 minute exposure but for how long.

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/illegal-wildlife-wet-market-update-raided-and-shut-down-by-thai-authorities/cf0fc0ea-9805-4805-a983-cbba4237b299

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F68a8a96d-09fc-4384-a1d6-d670cbfcffd2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, garzhe said:

The RTP closed the live animal market soon after the 60 minute exposure but for how long.

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/illegal-wildlife-wet-market-update-raided-and-shut-down-by-thai-authorities/cf0fc0ea-9805-4805-a983-cbba4237b299

{snipped}

It's very telling this was only done 'soon after the 60 minute exposure'.

It didn't happen because the RTP were concerned about the animals' welfare. It happened because they had lost face in the foreign press.

As you say, 'but for how long'. My guess is until it's out of the public's attention, then it will be back.

As one of those being interviewed said that it was basically mafia-run, meaning pay-offs to officials would be included.

• Like 1

So far, the only thing that has been consistent about the policy, is the extreme inconsistency. You can go to a crowded market, but you cannot go to the beach, the parks, and you should not be bicycling around. Huge stores can be open, but small stores should not be open. Malls will be open, but you can only stay two hours. Huh? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So far, the only thing that has been consistent about the policy, is the extreme inconsistency. You can go to a crowded market, but you cannot go to the beach, the parks, and you should not be bicycling around. Huge stores can be open, but small stores should not be open. Malls will be open, but you can only stay two hours. Huh? 

Ha ha ha!! You've been using logic again!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.1eOoCHJrCPBmpxpSD2cwPAHaD4%26pid%3DApi&f=1  10 Worst Examples of Cartoon Logic That Are Hard To Explain

• Haha 2

• I will be taking a rain check on this one for a considerable time.
  • Incidently I think pools in Condos are allowed to open with conditions like for swimming only, no children playing in kids pool,   no visitors, max one swimmer per lane (in our case 4 pax)

I walk past the market each morning going to and from the park. Last few days there's been activity painting distancing lines and signage at the entrances for screening on entry. I wouldn't expect the market to be busy. Few or no tourists remaining and many, many stall holders not likely to reopen. I'll take a walk through tomorrow morning. 

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Probably better for people to watch and decide for themselves (it's thirty minutes long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw

Considering this is 2 months old, I'm not giving it 5 minutes of my time. Considering it's produced under an affiliate of CBS news in the USA it's creditably drops even further. Too much narrative, not enough truth.

The truth is that the beaches should have been opened weeks before places like Chatuchak or at least the same time.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy