Tick control using vinegar, it works!

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

read that a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water sprayed over the dog's body can help

Interesting hint. Thinking about it.

I had given the big one an injection (bought at the vet).

But for the small one wife search and picks daily.

20200508_115729.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I also read on you tube about the half vinegar and water spraying to get rid of ants, it is not permanent but it works, so I can see how it would help temporary to spray it on your dog to control ticks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, possum1931 said:

Yes, I also read on you tube about the half vinegar and water spraying to get rid of ants, it is not permanent but it works, so I can see how it would help temporary to spray it on your dog to control ticks.

I use borax powder laid outside for ants, works well on them and also cockroaches etc. Vinegar mix apparently also works well as a non toxic weed killer.

• Like 1

NO animals in our house, outside.

What ever you do they have pests.

Can you imagine jumping in your bed after removing a couple of ticks or cat flee's?????

Yak

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2020 at 12:30 PM, giddyup said:

That's what my missus was doing a couple of times a day, but since spraying with vinegar/water the ticks have disappeared. Of course you need to be careful not to spray in their eyes.

AppleCiderVinegar is great too!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Proboscis said:

The trouble with ticks is that it can give your dog tick-fever. The trick is not to let ticks attach onto your dog but to prevent them from every biting. The only thing that works for me (other than Frontline) is Bravecto chews - stop your dog getting bitten the the first place.

Frontline never worked good on my dogs.  I have had good results with the ivermectin injections(cheapest too), bayer advocate drops, and nexguard spectra chews.

Great that this works our and pity your dog can't use frontline but have you ever though about how your dog likes this?

The smell of vinegar makes even my nose itchy and dogs noses are even more sensitive. And also when they lick or bite their skin they taste only sour stuff?! Think you not want your fingers taste and smell like vinegar every time you touch your mouth for eating or rub your eye.

Using lavender oil in the warm dog bath water helps as a drench too.

eucalyptus oil is also great, ticks hate it. This works on big cattle ticks as well.

these two oils won’t irritate the sensitive skin as long as it’s not applied in big dollops onto the skin directly.

an eye dropper on big nasty ticks is the go.

kerosene is also great for big nasty cattle type ticks as they won’t inject poison into the animal but pull their head out and then a quick grab low down at the head with tweezers and twist n they come right out.

We had a huge problem with ticks, on dogs and my workshop floor was inundated with the nasty things, i brought a chemical from Lazada, and sprayed around the property i'm talking hundreds and hundreds even on our patio, it worked well, we were taking 40 a day from the dog, used vinegar also which helped, but the poor dog was so lethargic. I got a chewy tablet (gets rid of worms and gut infections) from the vet the most expensive one 400 bt,for small dog is cheaper, within 3 hrs ticks began to go, they have never come back now about 5 months, the dog has never been so happy.  

IMG_1575.JPG.984f87623afd25ebd347299ffd03ff46.JPGsprayed this all around. I would also like to say i don't think vinegar kills them, only dissuades them so be warned.

Edited by brianthainess
added content.

11 hours ago, Foexie said:

Great that this works our and pity your dog can't use frontline but have you ever though about how your dog likes this?

The smell of vinegar makes even my nose itchy and dogs noses are even more sensitive. And also when they lick or bite their skin they taste only sour stuff?! Think you not want your fingers taste and smell like vinegar every time you touch your mouth for eating or rub your eye.

I suppose it's better to just let the ticks infect them and possibly die rather than give them a sour taste? I can tell you for a fact the dog doesn't mind the taste at all, he's quite happy licking his paws or fur after we spray him with the vinegar solution.

20 hours ago, Proboscis said:

The trouble with ticks is that it can give your dog tick-fever. The trick is not to let ticks attach onto your dog but to prevent them from every biting. The only thing that works for me (other than Frontline) is Bravecto chews - stop your dog getting bitten the the first place.

We tried many different methods and medicines to get rid of ticks before also using the Bravecto chews. Our youngest dog is too young for it but the other dogs have taken it and the pup never get ticks either.