In leaked call, Obama describes Trump handling of virus as chaotic

rooster59

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

no, of course not!  he didn't mean to inject bleach.  that would have been foolish.

go back and listen carefully to the video, read the transcript.  he was recommending that the experts leading the response to the virus waste their time investigating spraying (not injecting) disinfectant (not specifically bleach) inside the lungs, as a cleaning.

now listen the the recording again, only this time imagine obama's voice is speaking.

I'm guessing your an American ????...Well, as this sort of neagtive 'back & forth' is kinda boring now...I would like to sincerely ask you @ChouDoufu along with those who 'liked' your post, that, you do clearly support and like Trump's policies right?

4 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

I'm guessing your an American ????...Well, as this sort of neagtive 'back & forth' is kinda boring now...I would like to sincerely ask you @ChouDoufu along with those who 'liked' your post, that, you do clearly support and like Trump's policies right?

how could you get support of trump's pandemic policies from my post?

i agreed he didn't say to inject bleach.  that was a shorthand summary of his comments used by various talking heads to make him look foolish.  they needn't have bothered, as he is capable of handling that job all by himself.

his actual words, which i believe i faithfully reproduced (without googling them), do indeed make him look foolish, trying to look important on the teevee, giving instructions to real experts.  instructions that would simply waste their valuable time if followed.

the final sentence was a suggestion to the other poster who feels that trump's advice was reasonable.  listen to those words spoken in the voice of the dreaded obama, then ask if they now sounds foolish.

some of his other policies i would agree with, just as i would find many of obama's policies distasteful.

• Haha 1

One way or the other... 

Th“is is going to go away without a vaccine, it’s gonna go away, and we’re not going to see it again, hopefully, after a period of time,” Trump said at the White House. “You may have some flare-ups, and I guess I would expect that.”

“I just rely on what doctors say. They say it’s going to go. That doesn’t mean this year. It doesn’t mean, frankly, it’s going to be gone before the fall or after the fall, but eventually it’s going to go away. The question is whether we will need a vaccine. At some point it will probably go away by itself.”

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-coronavirus-will-go-away-without-a-vaccine-195154249.html

2 hours ago, Opl said:

One way or the other... 

Th“is is going to go away without a vaccine, it’s gonna go away, and we’re not going to see it again, hopefully, after a period of time,” Trump said at the White House. “You may have some flare-ups, and I guess I would expect that.”

“I just rely on what doctors say. They say it’s going to go. That doesn’t mean this year. It doesn’t mean, frankly, it’s going to be gone before the fall or after the fall, but eventually it’s going to go away. The question is whether we will need a vaccine. At some point it will probably go away by itself.”

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-coronavirus-will-go-away-without-a-vaccine-195154249.html

Sounds reasonable. Once herd immunity is reached, with or without a vaccine ( one is not guaranteed ) Corona "goes away" to become more like the flue. No virus "goes away" completely, but becomes more "normal" just as flu is.

14 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

You will need to rebuild a disgraced and demoralized Democrat party from nothing to accomplish that task. A new brand name will be needed for sure.... I mean...if you are an American Democrat.

Agreed, and I am.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds reasonable. Once herd immunity is reached, with or without a vaccine ( one is not guaranteed ) Corona "goes away" to become more like the flue. No virus "goes away" completely, but becomes more "normal" just as flu is.

Fauci is about to give testimony before the Senate, try not to miss it.

He’s got a handle on the science, regardless of whether or not sounding reasonable is part of what the science reveals.

38 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I agree with you that the free market decided that these jobs be sent overseas, not any one party.  Private industry had been sending jobs overseas for years, not only for profit but to keep prices low for consumers.  Yet, even as Trump was screaming about China taking our jobs, US unemployment was at historical lows (pre-COVID).  So what's the real problem?  It's stagnant wages.  These high-paying manufacturing jobs have left and are not coming back.  But we can create new ones?  Yes, we did...but Trump is not helping.

Take the solar installation (not manufacturing) industry.  This field had been growing for years and with high-paying jobs.  And it had contributed to improved environmental conditions.  But Trump's policies is killing this industry.  His trade policy has greatly increased the price of solar energy and are costing thousands of good-paying jobs.  Trump's support for the fossil fuel industry, especially coal, is the exact opposite of what our leaders should be doing.  Just one example of politicians trying to mess with the free market and royally screwing it up.        

I don't think any leader in a "democratic" country can save jobs. AI/ robotics is coming ( it's already arrived in many industries ) and the best any politician can do is try and put a good face on it, till it really turns to doodoo.

IMO all that's happening now is re arranging the deck chairs while the ship sinks.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Herd immunity without a vaccine only lasts as long as personal immunity from previous infection lasts.  Not for nothing are huge swathes ggiven a flu vaccine every year.  Without that, deaths from flu - which is certainly less contagious, and possibly has lower mobidity - would be magnitudes greater than they are.

How many die from flu annually WITH a vaccine?  Still think covid "goes away" without one?

PH

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

How many die from flu annually WITH a vaccine?  Still think covid "goes away" without one?

Hey Citizen...it goes away if Trump says it goes away...the virus wouldnt dare stand up to Trump. It wouldnt dare invade the white house and infect secret service, valets and white house media because Trump says it is gonna GO AWAY. Get with the program....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

Hey Citizen...it goes away if Trump says it goes away...the virus wouldnt dare stand up to Trump. It wouldnt dare invade the white house and infect secret service, valets and white house media because Trump says it is gonna GO AWAY. Get with the program....

So sorry.  Facemasks as a fashion accessory...there'ssome who need that more than others ????????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Herd immunity without a vaccine only lasts as long as personal immunity from previous infection lasts.  Not for nothing are huge swathes ggiven a flu vaccine every year.  Without that, deaths from flu - which is certainly less contagious, and possibly has lower mobidity - would be magnitudes greater than they are.

PH

LOL. Where did you get that from?

A vaccine only does what the disease does but without killing the person. Tricks the body into making the necessary response, which normally last a life time, just like the disease does.

In the case of flu, it constantly mutates, which means the previous immunity does not work any more as it's effectively a new disease. Some die of flu because not everyone has the vaccine and sometimes it's mutated so vaccine doesn't work.

A vaccine gives herd immunity when enough people are immune to prevent the spread, not that everyone is immune.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Where did you get that from?

A vaccine only does what the disease does but without killing the person. Tricks the body into making the necessary response, which normally last a life time, just like the disease does.

In the case of flu, it constantly mutates, which means the previous immunity does not work any more as it's effectively a new disease. Some die of flu because not everyone has the vaccine and sometimes it's mutated so vaccine doesn't work.

A vaccine gives herd immunity when enough people are immune to prevent the spread, not that everyone is immune.

I think you misunderstood my post...what I meant was not that people who have been vaccinated die from flu (though AIUI, some still do), but that despite many millions being vaccinated we still have millions who die from the disease.  Vaccination reduces the numbers who will die hugely.

PH

8 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As you said earlier:

“It’s a national emergency”

A time when the President and the Federal Government need to make use of their access to intelligence they received and coordinate a national response.

Not a time to deny the threat, ship medical supplies overseas and force the individual States into bidding wars against each other to try and buy what medical supplies they can find.

Not a time for the President to use his office to tout snake oil cures.

Mot a time for the President to say ‘I don’t take any responsibility at all’.

so you're saying a real president would bring the country together

"Let us remember how small our differences are in the face of this shared threat. In the final analysis, we are not partisan combatants," Bush says in the roughly three-minute clip.

"We are human beings, equally vulnerable, and equally wonderful, in the sight of God."

but a narcissist would continue to divide?

"@PeteHesgeth "Oh bye (sic) the way, I appreciate the message from former President Bush, but where was he during Impeachment calling for putting partisanship aside."," Trump wrote.

"@foxandfriends He was nowhere to be found in speaking up against the greatest Hoax in American history!"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11538816/george-bush-partisanship-coronavirus-pandemic-trump-slams-impeachment/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

President Donald Trump said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases were going down “almost everywhere” — even though an unreleased White House report showed infection rates spiking across the United States.

The Chinese government must be jaleous. When they lie, they have to fudge the numbers before. Trump doesn't even need to do that.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Walker88 said:
On 5/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course he is. Biden presumably knows all the things Obama does not wish to come out. Bernie might not be as "friendly" to Obama's legacy.

"all the things Obama does not wish to come out"

So you just pull something out of your <deleted> and think someone will take it seriously?  Or are you claiming some sort of 'insider knowledge' about Obama?

I'll go out on a limb and guess you have absolutely zero knowledge about the Obama Administration. Zero.

I thought TBL is a highly esteemed, long time  member of the this forum?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, teatime101 said:

Totalitarian yes, communist. no. Capitalists are taking over, as they do. Some people (me included) would call China a fascist state. Trump can only dream of Xi's power.

China’s private sector - which has been revving up since the global financial crisis - is now serving as the main driver of China’s economic growth. The combination of numbers 60/70/80/90 are frequently used to describe the private sector's contribution to the Chinese economy: they contribute 60% of China’s GDP, and are responsible for 70% of innovation, 80% of urban employment and provide 90% of new jobs. Private wealth is also responsible for 70% of investment and 90% of exports.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/why-chinas-state-owned-companies-still-have-a-key-role-to-play/

What does C C P stand for? Hello, this is Huston come in space shuttle!

23 hours ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

Trump has spent basically 10 years railing on Obama when he was in office and out of office (right down to questioning his citizenship) a man who labels anybody that opposes him with negative handles (Crooked Hillary, Little Marco, No Energy Jeb, Sleepy Joe, Pocahontas etc etc), a man that actually insinuated that Senator Cruz's father was linked in the JFK assassination based on a bit by....of all places....that beacon of truth in journalism....THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER...because Cruz would not endorse him at the Republican National Convention...but it is OBAMA whose "political rhetoric not only reeks of bad taste". If bad taste was branded for marketing it would be called Donald Trump.

Calling the POTUS efforts  chaotic in handling the virus ,   is the same as accusing the  task force efforts and fauci as chaotic imop! The great orator,  obama,  has spoken! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

He's presented computer models on which to make decisions then later said "you can't rely on computer models". One or the other has to be wrong.

But since you're asking me, let me ask you: do you think Fauci has been wrong about anything?

You'll have to provide more information about the computer models.  You definitely have to understand the models you are using to understand the results and its limitations.  However if you understand the limitations, models can provide useful projections on which to base policy.

I'm sure Dr Fauci has been wrong.  However I'm even more sure that I trust him more than Trump on medical issues.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I'm sure Dr Fauci has been wrong.  However I'm even more sure that I trust him more than Trump on medical issues.

From your past posts you'd believe anyone before Trump. Not that you are alone in that on TVF.

Personally I don't believe any official that has a vested interest in feeding the fear on Corona.

Given Trump has no medical experience, I don't take any notice of anything he comes out with on it either, but as POTUS his job is to inspire hope for the population, which I believe he is attempting to do, and he is concerned for those unemployed and would prefer them to be employed, which won't happen while people hide in their room.

• Like 1