Medical insurance for foreigners on the cards again

webfact

My experience with credit card travel insurance is that the last thing they want to do is pay out on a claim. This if it happens will likely be similar. I'm pro-business but those guys give it a bad name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

As always they pick a good time to bring this subject up.

Nothing like kicking themselves in the forehead with a new knee jerk reaction, because they used the other trough money for go knows what...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

So the 12 billion in premiums will be banked with no insurance payouts?

I know, right? It is because it will be to offset the losses they have accumulated so far, and re-fill their personal coffers, sorry I meant the Governments coffers, sorry I know both the same, stupid of me to think they are different...Looks like they are expecting at a minimum 40,000,000 visitors each year then.  Wait that means that each migrant worker will be also paying this fee as well.....Oh man tons of money...

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I know, right? It is because it will be to offset the losses they have accumulated so far, and re-fill their personal coffers, sorry I meant the Governments coffers, sorry I know both the same, stupid of me to think they are different...Looks like they are expecting at a minimum 40,000,000 visitors each year then

You mean like UK National Insurance payment, NI, which was introduced to fund personal care in a NHS and social care outside, neither of which it did adequately, or does adequately now, as it is now considered in general taxation? 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not a good time to be bringing up this subject again. It is going to take alot to get Thailand back onto the tourism map. If tourism returns, they will continue to get more Indians and Chinese, but they will be lower, and lower middle income tourists. Thailand just cannot attract higher end tourists anymore. The focus on quantity over quality will continue to erode the nation on countless levels. More is rarely better. It just lowers the quality of life for nearly everyone, creates more congestion, more smog, more traffic, longer lines at immigration, and makes life difficult, especially in the big cities. Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all.

And crowds will have a far different connotation now, than they did before, with social distancing considered to be of concern. 

Maybe they're happy to do that and leave the handful of 'high end' tourists to Monaco and the like?

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. There's plenty of money in China.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

fair enough. Actually, a wise measure, considering how many tourists, especially back packers and some of the younger travellers, who seem to travel with little or no insurance. 

Believe me, the money will be long gone before any claims are submitted

Pandemics like this happen about once every century too

• Thanks 2

Just now, Canuck1966 said:

Believe me, the money will be long gone before any claims are submitted

Pandemics like this happen about once every century too

Just look upon it as an extra  visa fee. If people are still stupid enough to travel without adequate medical and personal insurance, then that  is their lookout.   I just hope that idiots like that don't try to con people on Crowdfunding websites, to cover their medical bills, when they fall off their rented bike that they have no license to ride. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

If you think this is bad, wait until all World governments start to recoup the economic costs incurred by Covid 19 and start to lower the massive debts being incurred right now, £500 billion in the UK's case, to date and still rising.  Prepare for massive tax rises across the board in all jurisdictions, weak western currencies, expensive air travel and hotel prices and a massive hike in all classes of insurance, Worldwide. And expect this to go on for many many years.  Welcome to the new World.  This small price to enter Thailand is a lot less that a drop in the ocean, it's nothing in comparison with what's coming.  

UK is already £1.8 trillion in debt, whats another half a billion....????

• Like 1